Hey guys im completely new to this site...just joined about 10 mins ago. Im looking into joining the BB community with the purchase of the Curve 8330. I have a couple of questions for you seasoned pros out there because i am a newbie with this stuff besides the hours of online reasearch i've done.

I have hand tested the BB Curve 8330 and the Palm Treo 755p in the Verizon store and I enjoy them both. I have been strongly drawn to the Curve and plan to purchase in the very near future. I just need some insight on a couple of things. I am on my way to college and will be very busy. My days are already insanely busy with school, work, sports, etc. I need to be able to text, call, and keep an organized/ easily accessbile calendar and daily planner as well as access the internet at a moment's notice.

1. I am huge on texting...its how i keep in touch with friends and make plans. The keys on the Curve are quite comfortable for me..just wondering how you guys feel about its capabilities and threaded convos.

2. I live by my music and vids...i have an ipod video that is always with me, but i wouldnt mind having some of my media on my phone as well-in cases where i leave my ipod at home. i've heard a lot of good things about the media...just want to get your thoughts...

3. The Curve is not a touchscreen while the treo is...is this that big of deal? the trackball seems to get the job done quite well...

4. One big issue i want to get to the bottom of is navigation. i'm on my way to college and would really like to have the nav capability to get around unchartered waters. i dont really want to deal with Verizon's VZnav and added costs. any way i can throw google maps on the curve and use that?

5. 3rd party apps...good/bad? i'd love to snag apps for HTML viewing and word editing on the go. do they work well/are they easy to download and use?

6. I've also been drooling over the XV6800, but think that might be a little too much phone for me and i might be using it to the full potential. just a quick side thought...

i know this is a ton of stuff to read and consider and i hope you guys dont hate me for this but im just trying to get my stuff straight and hoping the Curve can fulfill my needs. reviews have shown it will...what do you guys think?

hope i didnt make a bad first impression with a novel haha. thanks for you're time guys...hope to join the clan with a new Curve!
    05-18-08 11:39 PM
    oh and just to add...im currently using the LG VX8100 which has been great but is beginning to hold me back...really need that QWERTY keyboard and larger display...

thanks guys!
    05-18-08 11:41 PM
    First let me welcome you to your latest addiction. All your base are belong to us. Now, to your questions...

1. The Curve keyboard, IMO is perfect. Having had several regular phones for texting tons of messages, I had the LG Voyager for a month and found that although it had a full QWERTY, it was a tad bit too wide. I'm a big guy with big hands, and often found my thumbs reaching to hit the middle keys.

2. The Curve is a multimedia phone. It can definitely play videos and tunes. Pop an 8 GB SDHC Micro card in it and listen and watch to your heart's content.

3. This is a big one with me. IMO, phones do not need touch screens. Touch screens are great for PCs but should not be used in phones. The main reason I got rid of the LG Voyager was that I did not like the touch screen. It did not respond well and even after constant recalibrations, I found myself clicking the wrong shortcuts. The ball on the Curve is simple to use and it makes surfing the web very enjoyable.

4. VZW does offer VZ Nav, but you can download Google Maps here.

5. As with any smart phone, there are ample third party apps out there.

6.XV8600 is Windohs Mobile. I think you'll find that the general consensus around here is that it stinks. They lock up often and that phone in particular is notorious for a bad battery. You're off to college, why go and drop such a huge nut on a smart phone when the Curve is such a better price?

We don't hate you at all. Many of us had the same questions when deciding to make the move to smart phones. My VZW Curve is my first smart phone and after only two weeks, I know I can never go back to a plain phone again.

If you're asking my opinion, which I think you are... get the Curve. You will be very happy. And then add my PIN so I can live vicariously though you as I miss my college days . They truly were a great time in my life.

Good luck!
    05-19-08 04:54 AM
    Don't have anything new to add, but I do want to second the urgings for you to get the Curve. I am a recent convert myself from the mistake of getting the Voyager. Best phone decision I have made, possibly ever, was to get the Curve. My needs are different from yours (in that multimedia is not a big factor), but it's good to have those when I want it.

Good luck in school.
    05-20-08 01:00 PM
    Just moved to the Curve as my first "smart" phone. I love it. If you don't want to mess with VZNav, there are several thread on bluetooth GPS "pucks" and keychains that I believe you can couple with the Curve to fulfill the GPS need, verses triangulation. Welcome to CB, and check out the blackberry 101 lessons, they helped me get up to speed!

05-20-08 01:52 PM
    The one good thing the Treo's have that I wish blackberry adopted was the threaded conversations for texting. Having simply to click on the name of the person and bring up the full text conversation is a nice feature but I doesn't outweigh the other great blackberry features.
    05-20-08 01:59 PM
    The curve sounds like it would work out for you. I upgraded from the treo 755p to the curve on verizon and am very happy. The treo is a nice phone and i liked it but it is very bulky, freezes up constantly, and the touch screen becomes a hassle as every phone call i ended it called voicemail. The threaded text messages was a nice feature and i do with the curve had it. Both phones are great I would just choose the curve personally.
    05-20-08 04:17 PM
    This is my first smartphone, and some of my friends have the Q.

Let me tell you Blackberry seems to be the only choice. I put my media card in and could not believe how good videos look on the screen.

I have had other phones where there is a lot of buffering even with a media card. No problems here yet!

I really like the keyboard too for texting and email, and the trackball is pretty easy to get used too

Good luck with what you choose, but I think the curve is what you are looking for.
    05-20-08 04:40 PM
    I had the Treo 700p and 755p before coming over to the BB Pearl and now Curve. I've said time and time again, I loved the Treos, esp the PIM functions (the best in the business, IMHO) and the threaded messaging. Unfortunately, in my experience, the Treo's just arent stable...meaning resets and freeze ups all day long. The BBs just plain work, 24/7/365.
    05-22-08 02:04 PM
    i just upgraded to the curve!! cant wait for it to get here! thanks for all your help guys...a very warm and helpful welcome into the community. i really appreciate it.

thanks again
    05-22-08 10:48 PM
    Congrats on your wise decision!
    05-23-08 07:05 AM
    Congrats and welcome to CB.
    05-23-08 11:50 AM
    I think you will be very happy with your decision. Welcome ti the family!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-08 12:00 PM
    Way to go, rollman! I'm a former Treo nut who gave up and went BB a few months back. While I miss a few things about the treo -- threaded sms & calendar -- I DON'T miss the frequent resets & crashes. You've gotten yourself a superb smartphone and huge resources to support you & your device. Enjoy & welcome to the club!
    05-23-08 03:03 PM