I was looking at Slingmedia's website and saw that they are releasing their slingplayer software for blackberry devices next week. It states that they support the Curve for AT&T and T-Mobile, but not for Verizon. Anyone know why this is, or if the software should work on VZW devices?

The minimum requirements state that a 3G connection OR Wifi is suggested/required. No Wifi for VZW customers, but shouldn't Verizon's 3G network suffice?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    12-23-08 11:25 AM
    99% sure streaming video is against the terms of service VZW has
    12-23-08 08:54 PM
    I am not optimistic as well.
    12-24-08 06:43 AM
    My first thought is that they don't have permission from Verizon to post the information. My second thought would be that maybe CDMA technology may be part of the problem. My third guess is that Sling doesn't realize that EVDO and 3G are the same thing (you will notice that they don't mention Sprint or Alltell either).

It will probably work with out any problems. If you look at MobiTv's site you will notice that they don't list the Verizon Curve as a supported device. They list pretty much every other major US carrier though. The Verizon 8330 works with MobiTV really well, it is just a little harder to get it on the phone.

I am sure that someone who already has a slingbox and a Verizon BB will end up saying that it works great, but only time will tell.
    12-24-08 07:50 AM
    Aside from the fact that Slingboxing is against the Terms and Conditions, it will also get you over the allowd bandwith quickly
    12-24-08 08:11 AM
    Sling Media - SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Mobile Smartphone

Apparently it's good to go on some VZW phones...
    12-24-08 08:13 AM
    I read on their forums its nothing to do with Verizon. It's just the fact that the technology is different and its the SMP (i think thats what its called) thats not working properly.

Verizon limits to 5GB per month data usage. That's 23 hours of straight high quality media. I've streamed with them and read of others do it for years now and not have any problems.
    12-24-08 08:47 AM
    Aside from the fact that Slingboxing is against the Terms and Conditions, it will also get you over the allowd bandwith quickly
    Streaming videos, games, blah blah blah, used to be against terms and conditions, they removed it when they added the 5gig cap and $0.25/mb overages, but that's only on broadband access and tethering. With Blackberry, the unlimited email and web, is truely unlimited. It does seem when you get to 1gig that they slow your connection though ( for me anyways ).
    12-24-08 10:51 AM
    Anything new on this front?
    01-19-09 07:43 PM
    Nothing new to add. As an employee, I agree that consumers should be allowed to stream video, play online games, etc...

However it's not rwking wireless...it's VZW. And as VZW, currently streaming video on any data device is against VZW's terms of service. By all means you can attempt to use the service and you will prob have some success. However, if/when you go near or exceed 5gb of data, VZW does reserve the right to see what is causing the excessive data usage. Once the evidence of streaming video is present, VZW can do 1 of 2 things:

1. Throttle down your data speed basically crippling your data to just maybe e-mail.

2. Shut your data down altogether and possibly cancel your contract for violating the TOS and possibly charge you the ETF due to breach of contract.

I know it sounds harsh, and honestly I agree it's a bit ridiculous. And it's not that VZW's network can't handle the heavy data consumption from it's users because it can. However apps like Slingbox was not anticipated on 3G. Most wireless providers were not prepared for this era of mobile entertainment such as it is widespread in most of Asia. This is why 3 of the 4 major providers are working so fast to push 4G services like WiMAX and LTE.

We all have to be patient for this next technology push. I personally can't wait to be able to watch the previous night's shows on my Storm (or whatever 4G blackberry at that time) on my lunch breaks. But I don't make the rules.
    01-19-09 09:59 PM
    However it's not rwking wireless...it's VZW.
    Aw come on - I was just getting ready to call you to hit you up for a free phone & discounts on YOUR service, old friend!

Does anyone truly know what 5gb on a mobile phone is? Without tethering or maybe streaming, it may be nearly impossible to hit - well, maybe if you're plugged into your charger all the time. I run extended batteries and use mine enough to have to charge daily and still get nowhere close to 5gb. However, if I were using the device as intended & crossed that threshold & had issues, I'd be causing VZW a lot of trouble. Their frontline 611 reps really don't like me much anyway.

Streaming is against the TOS, but I've been told by more than one rep the barrier is only enforced with chronic abusers.
    01-20-09 08:04 AM
    A lot of this problem would be a non-issue if VZW wasn't the only carrier not to offer phones with Wifi access...
    01-20-09 09:22 AM
    Streaming videos, games, blah blah blah, used to be against terms and conditions, they removed it when they added the 5gig cap and $0.25/mb overages, but that's only on broadband access and tethering. With Blackberry, the unlimited email and web, is truly unlimited. It does seem when you get to 1gig that they slow your connection though ( for me anyways ).
    I've read on many posts about streaming being against the TOU for VZW, but on the Blackberry it is unlimited...unless you're tethering, then it's capped at 5 GB...then the overcharges start...
    01-20-09 08:22 PM
    Works on my Storm... what the problem is?
    01-21-09 08:44 PM
    Works on my Storm... what the problem is?
    Hey Civic, long time since I've been on the boards. I think you are saying you've got slingplayer on your Storm. If that's the case, how did you get it? When I try to download it tells me I have a device that is not compatible. Also, I'm on VZW and I'm not sure if they allow it no Blackberry (although I don't know why they wouldn't as I had Sling Mobile on my Treo before getting the Storm). Any guidance you could give would be helpful.
    02-16-09 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD