02-19-10 05:01 PM
27 12
tools
    Noticed my BB 8330 rebooting for apparently no reason. After the device came back up I noticed an icon for Slacker Radio.

Curious if vzw pushed this to me.

I naturally checked to see if I could delete the icon and cannot. So I will be hiding it along with Facebook and others.

Did anyone else on vzw notice this today?

FWIW, I have Pandora.
    Last edited by halw; 02-10-10 at 12:19 PM.
    02-10-10 12:06 PM
    Slacker was pushed by VZW, just hide it.
    02-10-10 12:09 PM
    yea,,jus hide it...i have it in ma phone too
    02-10-10 12:14 PM
    its pushed, but I LOVE Slacker! I listen to it everyday
    02-10-10 12:40 PM
    Did battery pull this morning and it appeared when the phone restarted, just like the Bing app. Put it in the unused icon folder.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 02:09 PM
    Hi was able to figure out how to remove it. Per Verizon, you must actually start up the application before you can remove it. Per Verizon "the reason you cannot find it in the application list is because until the applications it actually launched all it is, is an icon." SUPER annoying, but I started the app, created an account, then went into SETTINGS - ADVANCED OPTIONS - APPLICATIONS and deleted it from there. Guess Verizon has no easy to delete an icon!
    02-10-10 07:08 PM
    Hi was able to figure out how to remove it. Per Verizon, you must actually start up the application before you can remove it. Per Verizon "the reason you cannot find it in the application list is because until the applications it actually launched all it is, is an icon." SUPER annoying, but I started the app, created an account, then went into SETTINGS - ADVANCED OPTIONS - APPLICATIONS and deleted it from there. Guess Verizon has no easy to delete an icon!
    It will come back when ever your phone registers with the network again. Just hide it.
    02-10-10 09:06 PM
    I looked down at my phone last night and noticed the Slacker Radio app, too -- mainly because it was placed in my "L" formation of apps and was displacing an icon I needed to access.

I thought I hit a wrong button somehow, but then I couldn't delete it easily and realized it was a VZW push like that Bing app. So into the "Rarely used" folder it went, never to be seen again.

I wish VZW would quit pushing useless junk to our phones. Let us have the option of if we want it or not!
    02-11-10 07:39 AM
    I looked down at my phone last night and noticed the Slacker Radio app, too -- mainly because it was placed in my "L" formation of apps and was displacing an icon I needed to access.

I thought I hit a wrong button somehow, but then I couldn't delete it easily and realized it was a VZW push like that Bing app. So into the "Rarely used" folder it went, never to be seen again.

I wish VZW would quit pushing useless junk to our phones. Let us have the option of if we want it or not!
    I mean that is the point of a BB right, to add what apps YOU want to it? HMM!

I have yet to get the slacker app, it will be placed in the "useless" folder.
    02-11-10 07:50 AM
    The pushed Slacker and Bing icons you get are not"apps' they are basically links to download the application, they take little to no memeory that way. And it takes less energy to hide the icon and be done with it, then to pi** and moan about it.
    02-11-10 10:07 AM
    The pushed Slacker and Bing icons you get are not"apps' they are basically links to download the application, they take little to no memeory that way. And it takes less energy to hide the icon and be done with it, then to pi** and moan about it.
    I don't care if they're apps, icons, or whatever. I don't care how much or how little memory is used. The point is, I don't need this useless junk cluttering my phone. There's no need to push it to me. Let me download it if I really want it. Instead I can't delete it because Verizon's service books keep forcing it on me every time I do delete it, and it just clutters up things. I wouldn't need a "rarely used" folder if it wasn't for crap like that.

And this "pi** and moan" stuff you discuss... you realize these are forums, right? The point is to discuss things. Just because YOU think it's unnecessary, doesn't mean we don't. Your solution is to hide it and be done with it, which many of us have done, but the point is, we shouldn't even have to be fiddling with that if Verizon wouldn't be pushing this crap to us in the first place.
    02-11-10 07:50 PM
    Why waste your time and energy? Hide it and forget about those icons.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 08:20 PM
    I don't care if they're apps, icons, or whatever. I don't care how much or how little memory is used. The point is, I don't need this useless junk cluttering my phone. There's no need to push it to me. Let me download it if I really want it. Instead I can't delete it because Verizon's service books keep forcing it on me every time I do delete it, and it just clutters up things. I wouldn't need a "rarely used" folder if it wasn't for crap like that.

And this "pi** and moan" stuff you discuss... you realize these are forums, right? The point is to discuss things. Just because YOU think it's unnecessary, doesn't mean we don't. Your solution is to hide it and be done with it, which many of us have done, but the point is, we shouldn't even have to be fiddling with that if Verizon wouldn't be pushing this crap to us in the first place.
    Where's my violin? I need to play a sad song for this one.

Just as you stated, this is a forum for discussion. My imput is to hide it. Because no matter how many times you delete it, it will come back. Save yourself the trouble and just hide it. Or keep whining about it, it's your freedom to do so.
    02-11-10 10:04 PM
    02-11-10 10:17 PM
    As I recall, my device was preloaded with many links that I eventually buried in a hidden apps folder. For those that want the app, the links come in handy. For those that do not, you simply hide it...no big deal. The important thing is that for the most part we have choices and options.

If Slacker was NOT available for BB then many would be complaining about THAT.
    02-12-10 08:28 AM
    I think the issue is that this is unsolicited actions from our carriers. We did not ask for it, therefore, we should not be bothered with it. In my opinion, it is a violation of our personal property if a carrier does not ask to add such items and takes it on themselves to do so. We are asked permission to download everything else. What makes these apps so different. To me, this is no different than sending me a virus to my computer.....unsolicited.
    02-18-10 11:44 AM
    I think the issue is that this is unsolicited actions from our carriers. We did not ask for it, therefore, we should not be bothered with it. In my opinion, it is a violation of our personal property if a carrier does not ask to add such items and takes it on themselves to do so. We are asked permission to download everything else. What makes these apps so different. To me, this is no different than sending me a virus to my computer.....unsolicited.
    First of all, sending you a download portal for an app is not the same as a virus. Don't be dramatic. And since it sounds like you didn't read your T&C's here it is:

My Wireless Device
    Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. You don't own the software in any SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card that you may use with your Service. The SIM card software is licensed to you for use with the Service only, and we may change it remotely and without notice. If you bought a wireless device from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network.
    02-18-10 11:59 AM
    The T&C's are the devil.... lol
    02-18-10 12:01 PM
    The T&C's are the devil.... lol
    If you actually read them, they pretty much hold a customer liable for everything. Too bad they don't read it. But then they wouldn't be able to complain and whine.
    02-18-10 12:04 PM
    That's interesting - I was under the impression that when I bought the phone - not leased it or rented it mind you - that I indeed owned the phone and all rights to it. Apparently, that is not the case, because all the software on the phone is not mine? That makes no sense.

People are mad because they own the device, and it is being altered without their knowledge, or more importantly, their approval, even though they signed the agreement.

That verbiage is just fluff so that VZW can do whatever the he!! they want.

Yeah - you can hide it. That's not the point. You should not have to search for pushed icons every time you restart. That is a total crock. An absurdity even.
    02-18-10 11:33 PM
    That's interesting - I was under the impression that when I bought the phone - not leased it or rented it mind you - that I indeed owned the phone and all rights to it. Apparently, that is not the case, because all the software on the phone is not mine? That makes no sense.

People are mad because they own the device, and it is being altered without their knowledge, or more importantly, their approval, even though they signed the agreement.

Yeah - you can hide it. That's not the point. You should not have to search for pushed icons every time you restart. That is a total crock. An absurdity even.
    I agree with you. I happen to like Slacker, and I have AT&T, not VZW; however, I get just as much garbage pushed to me from AT&T as you do from VZW. I do not want the carrier-pushed garbage. It's my phone. I should be able to choose what I do and do not want pushed to me.
    02-18-10 11:40 PM

The only way that could not make sense, is if you DID develop the software and they still pushed stuff to your phone. Whats wrong with hiding the icon? I see nothing absurd about it.
    02-18-10 11:47 PM
    The only way that could not make sense, is if you DID develop the software and they still pushed stuff to your phone. Whats wrong with hiding the icon? I see nothing absurd about it.
    Like open-source. I kinda see your point. But when I bought the phone, I thought I was getting the software too.

I did notice when I had a Palm Pre Plus (yes - I had a fling), that there was no VZW bs on that phone. Hmmm.

Absurd? How about... Tomfoolery.
    02-19-10 12:41 AM
    Can anyone confirm if this is just VZ pushing this?
    02-19-10 12:46 AM
    What is Slacker all about? Is it better than Pandora?
    02-19-10 11:36 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD