I am looking to use the most affordable service/ method, to keep me in touch with friends and family in the States when I travel to France in a couple days. Skype is now on my Storm2 and honestly Im not exactly sure how to use it on the phone although I have used it for sending sms from my computer. Would the BB Skype ap work in France? How affordable are the data charges while over seas? Thanks so much! any info greatly appreciated
    03-30-10 02:32 AM
    The Verizon Skype BlackBerry application only works on the Verizon network in the US currently.
    03-30-10 07:09 AM
    You can get UNlimited data from Verizon's Global plan. It will cost $65/month and it replaces your normal BB costs of $30. So it is an additional $35/month - it is prorated so, use it for 2 weeks and it is half that and your bis is half.

For an additional $5/month, you can get reduced call charges.
    03-30-10 09:54 AM
    You can get UNlimited data from Verizon's Global plan. It will cost $65/month and it replaces your normal BB costs of $30. So it is an additional $35/month - it is prorated so, use it for 2 weeks and it is half that and your bis is half.

For an additional $5/month, you can get reduced call charges.
    What he said. With the unlimited data, everything seems to work well (it did for me anyway)...all IM apps, mail, Facebook, etc. The reduced call option could save you some money, but voice calling won't be appealing with it.

If you want the convenience, use the VZW option. If you want to save money above all, unlock the device and get a French SIM when you're there.

Myself, I'm a fan of the VZW option.
    03-30-10 11:29 AM
    Thanks guys it looks like im sticking with the verizon Unlimited option. Do they offer more affordable SMS rates as they do with calls? .50 an outgoing text is nuts
    03-30-10 03:26 PM
    Thanks guys it looks like im sticking with the verizon Unlimited option. Do they offer more affordable SMS rates as they do with calls? .50 an outgoing text is nuts
    No thats a flat rate. But it beats 0.99 a min for calls...it is international long distance you know. It wasn't that long ago you had to pay for US long distance...
    03-30-10 04:23 PM
    With the data, it's unlimited though. Get your friends to hook up with Yahoo IM, Google Talk, or AIM. Those apps feed through BIS, so you can chat to your heart's content. Email is data too, so remember that in lieu of texting.
    03-30-10 05:22 PM
    Or Google Voice.
    03-31-10 12:53 AM
    One more question. I looked into calling from france via laptop on Skype and the rates seem ridiculously low. I'm not sure if its showing me the France>USA rate because all you can do on skype.com is see the countries rate, it isn't really clear how much it is to call the United States
    03-31-10 07:19 PM
    One more question. I looked into calling from france via laptop on Skype and the rates seem ridiculously low. I'm not sure if its showing me the France>USA rate because all you can do on skype.com is see the countries rate, it isn't really clear how much it is to call the United States
    Cheap calls to United States — just $0.021/min*

It's $0.021/min. Or, you can go the route I did and pay $12.95 for unlimited calls to the US, unlimited landline calls to about 30 countries in North America, Europe and Asia, and unlimited calls to mobile numbers in a few select countries.

Unlimited calls to landlines across the world – any time, day or night.
    04-03-10 08:16 AM
    You can call computer to computer on Skype for free... I don't know why this hasn't been brought up. I know that you can do this as my girlfriends dad is working in Paris right now and he calls here once a day via skype... It is something to look into. I mean, if you were going to make a phone call anyhow, you might as well just sit down on the computer for a few minutes and make a phone call.
    04-04-10 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD