Simple question....

Will verizon opt for sim cards with LTE? I thought they were not but I do not know if that has changed. Anyone know for sure?
    09-16-09 10:07 PM
    I believe LTE will require a SIM card. I know very little about the technology and am trying to find out more myself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 10:13 PM
    It will utilize a SIM card.
    09-16-09 10:16 PM
    It definitely will. VZW made that public months ago.

09-16-09 11:47 PM
    Interesting... Sooooo new phone? Geeeeee!
    LOL
    Any excuse really...

09-16-09 11:55 PM
    Don't all GSM phones require a SIM? If so, since LTE is based on GSM, VZW will have SIMs in LTE phones.
    09-17-09 03:03 AM
    Okay newbie here, but if they are going to use LTE which is GSM and need sim-cards wouldn't that render their several billion dollar current cell phone network useless????

Or are they just going to go around to all their current cell sites and add a simple GSM output for a few grand a pop so their towers are in a sense dual-band??

Lastly, if they go with the thing above wouldn't that have ATT and T-Mobile crying at their door step to do roaming agreements to help their networks?
    09-17-09 04:14 AM
    VZW just purchased the 700mhz spectrum which LTE will run on, it's going to slaughter everyone else. Data calls have already been tested in Boston and it will launch in 30+ major markets in Q1 of 2010.

And yes it will use sim cards.
    09-17-09 07:43 PM
    a few months back there was a discussion on whether LTE would be closer to CDMA or GSm in technology. Some people on here were bragging on how CDMA was the base for LTE technology and that sim cards will no come to LTE because that is the way its based... just like CDMA.

Twins, u were the head of this discussion (wish I could find that discussion tread). Now I hear that it is the opposite and that LTE will indeed use GSM based technology and sim cards???? I'm confused!
    09-17-09 07:54 PM
    a few months back there was a discussion on whether LTE would be closer to CDMA or GSm in technology. Some people on here were bragging on how CDMA was the base for LTE technology and that sim cards will no come to LTE because that is the way its based... just like CDMA.

Twins, u were the head of this discussion (wish I could find that discussion tread). Now I hear that it is the opposite and that LTE will indeed use GSM based technology and sim cards???? I'm confused!
    Well - you're in good shape, because I recall that conversation & you have a good memory.
    What I don't recall is where you were with regards to the followup. You forgot to tell me where you were going - or I just didn't notice you may not have been in that followup.

That conversation was dealing with whether LTE needed SIMs & I said it didn't. It still doesn't. But, probably a couple weels after that discussion, VZW surprised everyone by signing an agreement with G&D and Gemalto back in May to supply SIM cards for them.

While CDMA doesn't lend itself to SIMs & GSM requires them (until recently), LTE can go either way. VZW decided to provision SIMs to make it easier to switch devices - a shock to many who felt VZW would do everything they could to keep a tight grip on devices using their network.

I am sure you will agree that this is a good thing - especially now with the really sweet phones coming out. The one that excites me the most is the new Nokia N900. Nothing official yet, but there is speculation after Nokia's recent noise that they want to push back into the US & talks with VZW, that the N900 may be the first LTE smartphone.

Then there is that little pain in the tail Apple. I have heard that Apple has an LTE-ready iPhone in the wings.

Samsung, not to be outdone by Nokia, is supposedly readying a smartphone with their own OS - based on Linux, it should support capacitive multi-touch screens. It could be as exciting as the N900 & should also debut with LTE.

The Touch Pro 3 is already being readied for release about the same time as WM7. LTE, multi-touch capacitive & an all-new WM OS could make this another killer, ready for VZW.

Moto is also jumping in the fray.

These devices should all make you happy - GPS, WiFi, screens that will make the current iPhone people jealous. And, of you have the financial means, you will be able to have all of them, switching your SIM as easily as you change your underwear.

By this time next year, people will probably have forgotten about BlackBerry BOGOs.

09-18-09 02:25 AM
    IMO sounds like the best decision big red could have made
    09-18-09 02:53 AM
    With all this discussion about SIMs I'm wondering what the card with Verizon on it is in my Storm. It is on the left below the battery. The memory card is on the right. Is it a SIM or is it a slot holder for a GSM SIM?
    09-18-09 10:28 AM
    With all this discussion about SIMs I'm wondering what the card with Verizon on it is in my Storm. It is on the left below the battery. The memory card is on the right. Is it a SIM or is it a slot holder for a GSM SIM?
    Thats right it is.
    09-18-09 10:30 AM
    This is something that confuses a lot of people.

Yes, it is a SIM. It is there for GSM functions, as you mentioned. Out of the box, your Storm (or 8830WE or HTC or Samsung) is locked to use only a Vodafone SIM. Originally, it was difficult to pry the unlock code out of VZW, but now it is fairly easy.

If you spend all of your time in North America or many parts of the Orient, that SIM is dormant & unneeded as it does nothing for CDMA. If you're planning on time in other parts of the world & don't want to be stuck with a Voda SIM, you'll want to get the phone unlocked so you can use a SIM in the area you're visiting.

The new VZW & AT&T LTE phones will all need SIMs at the outset, but I am sure someone will come out with SIM-less phones, as well.

09-18-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD