10-29-10 08:23 PM
77 1234
tools
    I saw on a couple different forums that replacements were the new 9650
    06-30-10 11:19 PM
    I believe its the tour that's being replaced with the 9650. If they are doing the curve 8530 I'm in. I wouldn't mind the 9650 at all. I just got off the phone with another rep. And they are of no help. Didn't even want to replace phone after he even said its defective. Why oh why did I go to verzion should of stayed on the BS att or back to sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 12:18 PM
    The signal issue killed my battery in 5 hours yesterday.

07-18-10 10:02 AM
    i called VZW tech support again today for this issue. It's getting too bothersome. i'm getting a replacement Tour this Friday. i hope this resolves the issue for me.

07-21-10 01:41 PM
    i called VZW tech support again today for this issue. It's getting too bothersome. i'm getting a replacement Tour this Friday. i hope this resolves the issue for me.

How did you get that? I'm waiting on a replacement. Coming in tomorrow. But its a curve again. I am looking for a tour, bold and even storm 2 which I first got and now miss.

07-21-10 10:33 PM
    My tour (9 months old) has started during that too.....I called and spoke to one person who told me that all blackberries do that and her tour does the same thing.....but I didn't believe that---my tour has had a solid four bars sometimes even five bars----now I go from 3 to 0 to 4--and that's going from one room to another--so I went to the verizon store and was told it was bc I was still on an alltel plan with verizon phones--when all of my lines switch to verizon phones I could get a verizon plan---right now they are sending me another tour 9630-so I see if that makes a difference

07-23-10 01:22 PM
    My tour (9 months old) has started during that too.....I called and spoke to one person who told me that all blackberries do that and her tour does the same thing.....but I didn't believe that---my tour has had a solid four bars sometimes even five bars----now I go from 3 to 0 to 4--and that's going from one room to another--so I went to the verizon store and was told it was bc I was still on an alltel plan with verizon phones--when all of my lines switch to verizon phones I could get a verizon plan---right now they are sending me another tour 9630-so I see if that makes a difference

I would call VZW CS...maybe get a more seasoned rep. Had the same issue with my Tour several months ago. The rep was the most knowledgeable VZW tech I have spoken to, so far. First, he pushed a couple of different PRLs to my device to see if this changed anything. One PRL seemed to make a difference and they guy said he would call back in couple of days...and he did! The issue was better but still not resolved so he put a work order in to have the tower near my home analyzed. Turned out there WAS a tower issue and was told it would be resolved in a week to 10 days...and it WAS! The tech called me back again to make sure everything was OK, even tried a couple of other PRLs and eventually settled on the standard Alltel for VZW device 400xx.

Also, go into Options>Mobile Network and scroll down to Network Technology and change from Global to 1XEV, and flip the SIM card around backwards. This supposedly helps stabilized the signal and saves on battery depletion.

The bottom line is the store rep fed you a line of BS. Alltel plans and VZW devices work fine together and will give you a great signal.
    07-23-10 06:09 PM
    Got my replacement Tour due to signal issue. The replacement Tour has the same signal fluctuations.

07-24-10 12:30 PM
    Everything I have read establishes a link between signal fluctuation and battery drain. I have also read that the signal on the "world phones" are prone to signal fluctuations. By setting the device to 1XEV (from Global) and turning the SIM card around (or removing it) provides a more steady signal by allowing the device (in this case the Bold 9650) to focus more on establishing a stable connection to the CDMA network. It is not a perfect fix but seems to help.

Also, VZW has hybrid PRLs that can be pushed to your device relatively easy, if the tech is competent. I went ahead and stayed with the standard PRL for my
    Alltel plan and VZW device but tried all the options. You just need to find a tech that will work with you.

I still have some signal fluctuation at the Florida residence and find it ironic that I have a more stable signal in the mountains outside of Boone, NC, in the middle of nowhere.
    07-24-10 01:39 PM
    I got a replacement phone. But I still get the drop in bars. happens less often but still happens. funny before I activated it I turned it on and it showed 3G full bars. but then I activate it and it goes back to going up and down.
    07-25-10 02:48 PM
    Experiencing this same problem, and its driving me nuts. Areas where I had full signal strength with my Tour, I'm now getting no bars with my Bold. Its really useless!
    Any hybrids out there that take care of this?

07-30-10 12:35 PM
    I got rid of the curve and got the bold. I Love the phone!!!! But I still get the issue too. I get different answers from different reps from verizon. Really sad, they don't have a definite answer.

08-03-10 10:09 PM
    Ive had this problem and have switched to 2 different phones because I thought it was the phone. Any update on this??
    08-27-10 05:25 PM
    It is the phone. In the same places mine bounces around, friend/family's Moto Droids are rock solid with their signal strength.

By the way, mine (Tour) still does the bouncy signal with the mode set to 1XEV only, and global makes no difference.

This is a replacement device I'm on now and it seems to be still doing it, just not "quite" as bad as the original one I had.

08-28-10 07:16 AM
    It is the phone. In the same places mine bounces around, friend/family's Moto Droids are rock solid with their signal strength.

By the way, mine (Tour) still does the bouncy signal with the mode set to 1XEV only, and global makes no difference.

This is a replacement device I'm on now and it seems to be still doing it, just not "quite" as bad as the original one I had.

Its not the phone its self. I have had this problem with my old curve 8530, 2 tours and now my bold seems to do it.
    08-28-10 02:30 PM
    I have been researching online and seems to be a widespread problem.

Ive read 2 different possible causes

1. The OS. Has anyone loaded another carrier OS and fix the problem?

2. I read alot of since Verizon adjusted their towers to accomodate for Alltel customers, its affected it.

Anyone have any insight to this??
    08-28-10 02:33 PM
    Try going to options>advanced>host routing table, press menu and select "register now".

That may or may not help you. I can tell you it helped stabilize my signal a lot, although I can't tell you why. I had been jumping between 1X and 1XEV with the strength fluctuating quite a bit. Now it's a lot more calmed down after trying the above and making sure I had the latest PRL.

Hi, Does this go for 3G phones as well (Curve 8530 on Verizon with Verizon Plan)? What does PRL stand for? Thanks

Mike
    08-28-10 09:00 PM
    Talked to Tech Support, they are making a ticket for me. They are going to have one of their technicians look into the towers and my area for the problem. The tech said the Altell switch wouldnt affect me, but who knows. I will get a call back in 3-5 days. I guess its a waiting game, hope the problem is found and resolved!!!
    08-28-10 10:05 PM
    Its not the phone its self. I have had this problem with my old curve 8530, 2 tours and now my bold seems to do it.
    Maybe not the specific device, but a larger flaw with the radio/antenna on these devices.

I can tell you with certainty that other devices on the same network, not even a foot away from mine maintain a rock-solid signal while my Tour jumps...

08-29-10 04:05 PM
    Well my wifes Curve 8530, 2 Tours and my new Bold now does it. And my curve I had never did it and it just started not too long ago

08-29-10 04:07 PM
    Hi, Does this go for 3G phones as well (Curve 8530 on Verizon with Verizon Plan)? What does PRL stand for? Thanks

Mike
    If you're on Verizon, then your 3G symbol will mean the same as 1XEV, as Verizon is a CDMA carrier. The only reason they made that 3g symbol was because many folks didn't seem to know what 1XEV was and their Google-fu was weak...

Anyway, though, to answer your question, yes, it should work, but I've got a Tour, not a Curve. Try it and see what happens. It's not going to break your device either way...

PRL = preferred roaming list. The carriers update these from time to time as their tower sharing agreements might change. You update this on Verizon by dialing *228 and selecting option 2...

08-29-10 04:10 PM
    I have a 9 month old Verizon Tour that is showing strange signal strength numbers.

I have noticed that if I take it out of the case, it will show 0 bars and if I go the the status page it will show -115dbm after a minute or so it will go to 5 bars and -80dbm, then after a while it may drop back to -115 then go to -80. My phone has done this several times before in this one particular area. There were not a whole lot of people around so I doubt it was over crowding on the tower.

Thinking it was a PRL issue, I updated the PRL but still did the same thing.

I have noticed this occurring in a few locations but the most apparent is 7 miles East of Selbyville, DE in an area called Bayside Americana. This is right on the MD DE state line.

Does anyone else see this type of behavior?
    I, Personally, believe it is a tower issue. I have always wanted a user-friendly signal app and finally found it in SIGCON available in the CB store. It places an accurate signal strength indicator in an icon and also in the notification frame on your BB.

Using that information, I have seen similar fluctuations on my Bold 9650, but I attribute those to tower fluctuations. I've noticed greater fluctuations on windy days. In my case, the closest Verizon tower is blocked by treetops.

Time of day seems to affect signal strength. Go near a large high school around dismissal and watch what happens! 1600 high schoolers are contacting each other to say that they are out of school for the day! Did you try to use a cell phone on that tragic 9/11? Just about impossible.

08-29-10 04:43 PM
    If you're on Verizon, then your 3G symbol will mean the same as 1XEV, as Verizon is a CDMA carrier. The only reason they made that 3g symbol was because many folks didn't seem to know what 1XEV was and their Google-fu was weak...

Anyway, though, to answer your question, yes, it should work, but I've got a Tour, not a Curve. Try it and see what happens. It's not going to break your device either way...

PRL = preferred roaming list. The carriers update these from time to time as their tower sharing agreements might change. You update this on Verizon by dialing *228 and selecting option 2...

Thanks for the info....very much appreciated.

mike
    08-29-10 07:49 PM
    When I talked to VZW on Saturday they said they are working on switching to 4G in the fall. Wonder if that's why a lot have prob with signal

08-30-10 08:56 AM
    When I talked to VZW on Saturday they said they are working on switching to 4G in the fall. Wonder if that's why a lot have prob with signal

Doesn't explain why non BB devices in the same places at the same time don't have these issues.

08-30-10 11:00 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD