View Poll Results: Will a T-Mobile / Sprint Merger damage Verizon's #1 Status?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't wait to cancel and join T-int Mobile

1 3.13%
  • Those dutch... Now Sprint and Tmobile are going down the drain.

8 25.00%
  • I dont like either company so it doesnt matter.

23 71.88%
    So the rumor mills are turning and more recently they turned to the lackluster Sprint/Nextel corporation who has been doing anything but gaining a customer base. As we've seen in the recent past is Sprints efforts to gain customers through cut throat pricing, even offering unlimited out of network Mobile 2 Mobile calls for $69.99.

Deutch Telecom, the parent company of T-Mobile recently met with the CEO of Sprint to talk over a deal that would benefit both companies. While Sprint is currently acquiring Virgin Mobile to beef up its already #1 Prepaid stake in the wireless industry, T-Mobile now wants to combine with Sprint. What does this mean for Big Red?

This means that T-Mobile/Sprint would become tied with ATT for 2nd largest customer base according to analyst statistics. With Sprints Corner on the Palm Market and T-Mobile with the Android base could this Damage Big Red's net gain? I sure dont think so, not anytime soon. Can anyone remember how much fun Sprint had trying to combine their CDMA technology with Nextel's IDEN technology? I'm not quite sure they've even perfected that yet. Now that want to mix their CDMA Technololgy with the GSM Network of T-Mobile. Can we "Incompatible"??

I have a feeling Sprint wont have a choice but to accept the deal to save its shareholders who seem all but willing to firesale their stock shares to avoid a loss in the current market. At least by the numbers this would make Sprint/Tmobile a major player in the market place. This will either be Sprints Saviour or the demise of T-Mobile. Either way I dont think Verizon has much to worry about.

I'd love to hear everyone elses comments on how you think this may effect Verizon?
    09-17-09 06:20 PM
    Two IFFY networks at best
    09-17-09 06:38 PM
    I think that when they combine their customer numbers will go up, but only due to the merger, not people switching over. I however will stick with Verizon.
    09-17-09 06:45 PM
    Normally when companies consolidate like this, it means less competition all around, but in this case I can't help but wonder if this could mean more competition for VZ and AT&T, which typically translates to good things for its respective customer base.

Besides, out of all the providers out there, Verizon has the least to go in terms of becoming the perfect wireless carrier.

They have the network in terms of reliability
    They have the network in terms of coverage
    They have the great customer service

These three things are the hardest to achieve.

All they need to do is improve their device line up and more fully embrace android and you have yourself one carrier to rule them all.
    09-17-09 06:58 PM
    Doesn't matter to me: Sprint is bad in my area and I can never hear people I call who have T-Mo, that nixes them as well.
    09-17-09 07:16 PM
    It won't happen - too expensive for DT.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-09 07:19 PM
    ^^^^^^

what that old guy said...i agree with him.
    09-17-09 07:43 PM
    Ouch!! (old guy)

Twin's right thou....
    09-17-09 07:49 PM
    This is interesting & I'm curious to see what would transpire provided the merger between the two happens... As far as staying with Verizon or leaving, that, I'm not certain just yet..
    09-17-09 08:40 PM
    I doubt it hurts anyone. The point about combing different technologies wouldn't be a real problem as they would all use the same 4G network sometime next year.

If anything, it should help VZW customers by forcing a more competitive pricing structure.

09-17-09 09:11 PM
    I doubt it hurts anyone. The point about combing different technologies wouldn't be a real problem as they would all use the same 4G network sometime next year.
    ???

Sprint = WiMAX (already started)

VZW = LTE (rollout starting within the next 120 days)

AT&T = LTE (rollout starting mid-2011)

T-Mobile = ? (no decision yet & a demonstrated inability to even get 3G running on even 10% of their network.

How do you figure they will all be using the same 4G network sometime next year?

Next year = 2010. The only 4G out there will be VZW & Sprint - and neither is compatible with the other.

Sprint's WiMAX would probably take a hit in favor of LTE, which means T-Mobile would have to rework EVERYTHING, or operate WiMAX in the US & LTE or GSM elsewhere. The cost of purchase plus conversion exceeds the net worth of DT.

09-17-09 09:32 PM
    I don't think regulators will allow the merger. They get twitchy when foreign interests get positioned for ownership over significant infrastructure. On top of that, Sprint/Nextel is damaged goods, along with its customers.

On top of that, there is no way T-Mobile, or D-Telekom is ready to put in the investment to convert Sprint's CDMA network to GSM, and maintain an iDEN network to boot...and there's no way they're looking to maintain all three standards.

But none of that matters, because, there will certainly be regulator concerns and do not think such a merger would be approved.
    09-17-09 10:44 PM

Next year = 2010. The only 4G out there will be VZW & Sprint - and neither is compatible with the other.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/clearwire-ceo-leaves-door-open-lte/2009-09-16

According to this article wimax and LTE must be similar in some ways if its that easy to switch over.

09-17-09 10:50 PM
    I still have some love for T-mobile because I used to be with them for a number of years. T-mobile's coverage used to be bad but it got better. Sprint's coverage is terrible and I personally know someone who had to get a home phone because the service around her home near UCONN was so bad. Personally, I do not want T-mobile to pick up Sprint because I feel like it would ruin T mobile's upward swing.
    09-17-09 11:12 PM
    I don't think regulators will allow the merger. They get twitchy when foreign interests get positioned for ownership over significant infrastructure.
    Yeah, who would ever want a foreign company to even half or 49% of a domestic cell carrier? That would be..... Un-American?
    09-17-09 11:19 PM
    http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/clearwire-ceo-leaves-door-open-lte/2009-09-16

According to this article wimax and LTE must be similar in some ways if its that easy to switch over.
    They are blowing smoke in an attempt to salve investors' fears & prop up the stock.

In reality, WiMAX is not working out the way they had hoped & has presented a large number of logistical problems. Couple that with the fact people are not switching to Sprint for their brand of 4G & you can understand the motivation.

To switch from WiMAX to LTE would require changing out transmitters & other assorted gear. Then there is the issue of licensing. Thinking that a Sprint LTE flavor would be compatible with VZW or AT&T is far-fetched. The frequencies are completely different.

Now what is similar as far as infrastructure? They both require towers - already in place. They both require wide-bandwidth backhaul - if it is there for WiMAX, it is also there for LTE.

The truth is, Sprint/Clearwire is struggling to make WiMAX work, people aren't buying it, investors are spooked & they are trying to figure out where the money to continue building the network will come from - nevermind finishing it

Notice it wasn't an interview, much less a critical questioning. It is a puff piece, a PR release, nothing more.

It isn't like flipping a switch - it would require an expensive retrofit.

09-18-09 12:29 AM
    . .
    09-18-09 01:02 AM
    So the rumor mills are turning and more recently they turned to the lackluster Sprint/Nextel corporation who has been doing anything but gaining a customer base. As we've seen in the recent past is Sprints efforts to gain customers through cut throat pricing, even offering unlimited out of network Mobile 2 Mobile calls for $69.99.

Deutch Telecom, the parent company of T-Mobile recently met with the CEO of Sprint to talk over a deal that would benefit both companies. While Sprint is currently acquiring Virgin Mobile to beef up its already #1 Prepaid stake in the wireless industry, T-Mobile now wants to combine with Sprint. What does this mean for Big Red?

This means that T-Mobile/Sprint would become tied with ATT for 2nd largest customer base according to analyst statistics. With Sprints Corner on the Palm Market and T-Mobile with the Android base could this Damage Big Red's net gain? I sure dont think so, not anytime soon. Can anyone remember how much fun Sprint had trying to combine their CDMA technology with Nextel's IDEN technology? I'm not quite sure they've even perfected that yet. Now that want to mix their CDMA Technololgy with the GSM Network of T-Mobile. Can we "Incompatible"??

I have a feeling Sprint wont have a choice but to accept the deal to save its shareholders who seem all but willing to firesale their stock shares to avoid a loss in the current market. At least by the numbers this would make Sprint/Tmobile a major player in the market place. This will either be Sprints Saviour or the demise of T-Mobile. Either way I dont think Verizon has much to worry about.

I'd love to hear everyone elses comments on how you think this may effect Verizon?
    You asked a question in your poll yet the answers are no where near answers to your question.
    That being said, my answer to your question is - NO.
    09-18-09 01:38 AM
    I can honestly say that verizon has no worries my sister has sprint and at home my verizon service slaughters sprints 4g network without a issue! I was a nextel guy till sprint got involved and cs went down the drain. However I will never look back Verizon is def the best service in this area hands down!

09-18-09 01:40 AM
    I do believe it would become a VERY competitive marketplace. If you look at the way wireless works in europe having DT at the helm may not be a bad thing for consumers. Tmobile doesn't shy away from a new device like verizon and the pricing is a lot lower. Factoring that in VZW could no longer rely on its reliable base alone but would either have to become more competitive in the pricing and features offered or start relaxing their chokehold on newer devices like android, etc.. Its usually people stay with Verizon for the network but that's not always going to cut it they're going to have to start becoming more competitive with the equipment they offer as well..

09-18-09 08:14 AM
    With the pain in the @ss we are dealing with right now moving alltel customer's to VZW I can only imagine the **** this will bring.
    09-18-09 08:22 AM
    It will cost a decent sum to get the towers uniform. Since Sprint is CDMA and TMo is GSM wouldn't they need to set something up so that all of their devices would work? Either that or you'd need to have a hybrid phone that could jump from TMo towers to Sprint towers.
    09-18-09 08:43 AM
    Indeed and how long would it take for them to come up with something like that??? A while.
    09-18-09 08:49 AM
    I love Verizon, wont leave them but I wouldnt mind seeing this conglomeration just in hopes that the VZW prices go down a little bit to be more competitive.
    09-18-09 09:30 AM
    Yeah, who would ever want a foreign company to even half or 49% of a domestic cell carrier? That would be..... Un-American?
    Call it what you want, archaic, out-dated, whatever, the PSTN is critical infrastructure to US domestic interests. Wireless carriers have significant rights-of-way into the PSTN. DT didn't just swoop in and buy Ariel and the like. There's a reason why Vodafone is at a significant 45% partner in VZW, versus 49%, or even majority partner. How many telcos in the US are foreign owned? Zero. How many wireless carriers are foreign owned (not counting MVNOs)? One. Now the "rumor of that foreign interest taking ownership of another 30% of subs and towers. Nope. If it happens, I'd be way surprised.

09-18-09 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD