I'm planning on getting my first Blackberry,and I'm interested in learning what you users would say.

I have a really crappy phone that I hate right now - the LG Voyager. I get an upgrade for a phone, but I won't get one for two years after that. I'm not sure to buy the BlackBerry Curve now (I would NEVER buy the Storm - i HATE touch screens) or wait for the next gen.

Is Verizon getting a bold or something?

Help please
    12-15-08 08:09 PM
    Turns out we are in the same boat! I hate my Voyager and have been desperately looking froward to my first blackberry since last May. The best we can gather from all the speculation and rumors is a spring 2009 launch for the Niagara (CDMA variant of the Bold). Just be patient!!
    12-15-08 10:43 PM
    Turns out we are in the same boat! I hate my Voyager and have been desperately looking froward to my first blackberry since last May. The best we can gather from all the speculation and rumors is a spring 2009 launch for the Niagara (CDMA variant of the Bold). Just be patient!!
    I hope someone can tell me why to wait for a possible Bold on Verizon. What does the Bold offer that the 8330 does not?
    The big difference on the GSM market was 3G, more speed. However the 1XEvDO is the CDMA equivalent.
    The other difference is the built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise I do not see a big difference. Having the built in WiFi would be nice to not get airtime charges when you can connect to a local wireless.

Anyone else know the differences?
    12-16-08 07:58 AM
    I hope someone can tell me why to wait for a possible Bold on Verizon. What does the Bold offer that the 8330 does not?
    The big difference on the GSM market was 3G, more speed. However the 1XEvDO is the CDMA equivalent.
    The other difference is the built in Wi-Fi. Otherwise I do not see a big difference. Having the built in WiFi would be nice to not get airtime charges when you can connect to a local wireless.

The Curve has a 320x240 screen and the Bold has a 480x320 screen that is off the charts amazing. The Curve uses Evdo Rev0 and the Bold will more than likely use Evdo RevA which is faster. The Curve 8330 has 96 mb of on board memory while the bold has 1 gig. The Bold also has a faster processor than the Curve. The Bold has Wifi (in the GSM world and will hopefully have it in the CDMA world too) and GPS while the Curve 8330 has locked GPS (well recently unlocked for use on Blackberry Maps) and no wifi. The Curve comes with OS 4.3 and can be upgraded to 4.5 and the Bold comes with 4.6. 4.6 gives the Bold a better web browsing experience over the Curve too. The Bold is larger than the Curve. One of the biggest differences that I have seen is the number of applications available for the Curve vs the Bold. The Curve has been out for longer and just has more available for it. The Bold will catch up though.

Either way you go, you are going to get a great Blackberry.

The Bold should be out in May 2009, BTW.
    12-16-08 10:12 AM

How is the Wifi going to help you save money on airtime charges, if you are on an unlimited data plan? There are no airtime charges, the data is unlimited up to 5GB, which you will never use with a BB.
    12-16-08 11:46 AM
    How is the Wifi going to help you save money on airtime charges, if you are on an unlimited data plan? There are no airtime charges, the data is unlimited up to 5GB, which you will never use with a BB.

fyrfyter....some people still dont get it
    12-16-08 01:02 PM
    ehh. idk! I really hope it has WiFi - not that my iPod touch wouldn't suffice for WiFi (****,it would replace my phone if it could) but other than that,it's whatever.
    I know Verizon will do so much to corrupt the Niagra that Sprint won't.

IE; Put in a stupid music player and a stupid ringtone store, take out the WiFi (as Verizon is led by sadists who love watching people pay for slow connections), and then pull it all together by downgrading the memory.

Honestly,I would much rather switch to T-Mobile or AT&T - but I am on a family plan right now,so it sucks.
    12-16-08 06:04 PM
    ehh. idk! I really hope it has WiFi - not that my iPod touch wouldn't suffice for WiFi (****,it would replace my phone if it could) but other than that,it's whatever.
    I know Verizon will do so much to corrupt the Niagra that Sprint won't.

IE; Put in a stupid music player and a stupid ringtone store, take out the WiFi (as Verizon is led by sadists who love watching people pay for slow connections), and then pull it all together by downgrading the memory.

Honestly,I would much rather switch to T-Mobile or AT&T - but I am on a family plan right now,so it sucks.
    I guess these comments come from using regular phones on Verizon and not having a BB. The music player that comes on a Blackberry is made by Blackberry. The ringtones are Mp3s that anyone can make. The slow connection comment I don't understand at all since Evdo is just as fast and sometimes faster than 3g. Really they are the same thing. Also the memory on the 8330 Curve is 96 mb while the rest of the Curves only have 64 mb.
    12-16-08 11:20 PM
    Let's put it into this perspective, why have a wi-fi connection in the first place that I would have to walk, swim, migrate,whatever to use, instead of using my own data connection. In retrospect though, using Wi-fi in places like homes that don't have good signal would be fine, given that T-maybe has maximized on the wagon already, which is part of why they don't have contract to have a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 12:46 AM
    The Curve has a 320x240 screen and the Bold has a 480x320 screen that is off the charts amazing. The Curve uses Evdo Rev0 and the Bold will more than likely use Evdo RevA which is faster. The Curve 8330 has 96 mb of on board memory while the bold has 1 gig. The Bold also has a faster processor than the Curve. The Bold has Wifi (in the GSM world and will hopefully have it in the CDMA world too) and GPS while the Curve 8330 has locked GPS (well recently unlocked for use on Blackberry Maps) and no wifi. The Curve comes with OS 4.3 and can be upgraded to 4.5 and the Bold comes with 4.6. 4.6 gives the Bold a better web browsing experience over the Curve too. The Bold is larger than the Curve. One of the biggest differences that I have seen is the number of applications available for the Curve vs the Bold. The Curve has been out for longer and just has more available for it. The Bold will catch up though.

Either way you go, you are going to get a great Blackberry.

The Bold should be out in May 2009, BTW.
    Thanks,
    I missed the 1GB in the spec. The higher resolution screen would be nice.
    Now if VZW doesn't castrate it, it will be a great phone.
    Not sure how much faster RevA is over Rev0, but it is still as fast as GSM 3G

For those who care, a WiFi hookup - although not line charges as I mistakenly put in my description, does provide faster page loading if it is available and would be my personal preference if I were in a WiFi spot.
    12-17-08 07:31 AM
    Thanks,
    I missed the 1GB in the spec. The higher resolution screen would be nice.
    Now if VZW doesn't castrate it, it will be a great phone.
    Not sure how much faster RevA is over Rev0, but it is still as fast as GSM 3G

For those who care, a WiFi hookup - although not line charges as I mistakenly put in my description, does provide faster page loading if it is available and would be my personal preference if I were in a WiFi spot.
    Actually, RevA should be faster than GSM 3g.
    12-17-08 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD