07-30-08 10:27 AM
44 12
tools
    Sprint is MUCH cheaper, especially if you want to have two BB's on one plan. It is mostly the cost, as I am not 100% unhappy with Verizon. I just don't like the fact that they take forever to get new phones, cost more, and put crappy software on their phones.

I have another year before my contract runs out and do not currently have a BB but thinking about switching.

Thoughts?
    07-22-08 03:46 PM
    Be sure that if you switch to Sprint you will have good service in your area.
    A cool phone that won't make or receive calls is just a brick.
    I would love to have Sprint for prices but where I am half of the time has only spotty service.
    Having good service is the main thing in my opinion
    I am not for or against any carrier. I just have the one that works best for me. If Sprint puts up more towers in the area I need, I will jump ship for sure.
    Love the Simply Everything Plan idea
    07-22-08 03:59 PM
    I stay with VZ because of the reception. I could not get reception in my house with AT&T but with VZ, no problems. Without good reception, no phone is any good.
    07-22-08 04:01 PM
    Well a lot of the places I see on Sprint say "Roaming"
    07-22-08 04:04 PM
    Honestly stick with the carrier that has the best reception someone earlier in this thread said they'd love Sprint but get no reception in their area I'm in the same boat.
    07-22-08 09:04 PM
    Reception and awful CS are the main complaints I have heard about Sprint in my area.
    Plus, as I understand it they do not have picture messaging support for BB devices. Atleast that is what I was led to believe when I was researching in order to change carriers recentlty.
    I wound up going from Alltel to VZW. Plan is only a few dollars due to work discount.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 09:10 PM
    Verizon worked for me in Manhattan on 9/11. That's all I have to say on the matter.
    07-22-08 09:11 PM
    Get the Sprint Sero plan. It can't be beat.

Coverage for Sprint is pretty damned good and when you roam on Sprint you roam onto Verizon towers. A friend of mine is on Sprint and he always gets around the same signal as my Verizon phone gets even when we went out of state before.
    07-22-08 09:11 PM
    sprint service is almost the worst in American history. They may go bankrupt! Stick with verizon its like comparing a Bentley to a ford, it never will make sense!
    07-22-08 09:40 PM
    Can you get the simply everything plan with a BB on Sprint? I have Verzion because I am still on my 'rents family plan and save a little bit of money that way, but where I live now both me and my roomemate (cdma phones) get terrible reception and our T-mo roommate gets reception just fine.

But ya, I'll jump on the bandwagon and say go without whoever as the best reception where you live and work. Also, if a company every screws you over make sure you leave and never go back.
    07-22-08 09:45 PM
    I was a 10 year Nextel/Sprint customer with 5 phones for my business. Sprint pissed me off so many times I paid the $1,000.00 early termination fee. I switched to VZW and never looked back, I also saved about $150.00/month switching.

The reason Sprint is so cheap is because the company is circling the toilet bowl, and their customer service is the worst. VZW has been awesome with customer service and their cell service is great. I do a lot of traveling and spend a considerable amount of time on my BB. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
    07-23-08 12:03 AM
    I wouldnt switch. I hear nothing but bad things about sprint, their service, reception-etc. and I work in the cell phone industry and everyone says to stay away from sprint
    07-23-08 12:59 AM
    Go with the carrier that meets your needs. I switched from Sprint a long time ago and I am glad I did, but at the same time I realize that just because I don't like them doesn't mean anything to the next person. If you get the coverage you need, then switch if you also get the prices you want too. But if you don't get the coverage, don't see the point in cheaper prices for spotty coverage. I would say try them for 30 days and if you don't like them go back to vzw or whatever is best for you.
    07-23-08 10:03 AM
    Really, a lot of this comes down to coverage in your area. Verizon is the best where I live, however this is not the same for all areas. True, Verizon does disable GPS on its Blackberry devices; however, Sprint disables MMS, which many people find to be a huge irritant. Verizon is praised for its great coverage and amazing customer service. I also don't think that Sprint is any cheaper than Verizon.

I have heard from almost everyone who has Sprint that the customer service department for that particular carrier is severely lacking, especially for the prices you pay to be with Sprint. And if you think Verizon is slow to come out with new phones, you haven't researched Sprint lately!!!

Bottom line is you need to go with the carrier which best meets your needs - IE coverage, features, devices, price, customer service, etc. I personally would never switch, but that is just me. Good luck!
    07-23-08 10:15 AM
    Stay with Verizon, There are always a smalle % of dead spots in all carriers. but 911 is always going to connect on any phone weither you have regular serivce or not.

I was told by a VZW rep a few years back , that all carriers gaurantee their service outside of buildings to have serivce (as long as you can see coverage on your coverage map) and at minimum FAIR (1 bar) coverage in your homes. Most of us live near/around a cell tower of our carrier and we have excellent coverage in our homes.

I had this battle with TMOBILE, and switched back to verizon, cause TMO had 4 bars outside, and NONE inside. Verizon was the better deal, sorry i ever left them, but im back now to stay.

In otherwords, Stick with what you got, it will only get better from here.
    07-23-08 12:26 PM
    Sprint was THE worst carrier I have ever dealt with in my time. I gladly paid the ETF to dump them and go elsewhere. I have T-Mobile and VZW and have no complaints with either. VZW is pricey but well worth every penny since I have yet to encounter any dead spots in my area with them. I'd hang in there.

07-23-08 12:42 PM
    Verizon seems like they are always trailing behind in technology--imo.
    Stay away from SPRINT there is a reason they are cheaper and we will all see why soon enough.
    have you considered AT&T?
    07-23-08 12:43 PM
    Go to Sprint ... has the same service as verizon because if you have free roaming you can simply go onto the verizon network. The Curve for Sprint has more features and Verizon is always late on phones. I've had no problems with Sprint customer service thus far.

but NEXTEL IS TRASH
    07-23-08 01:00 PM
    Go to Sprint ... has the same service as verizon because if you have free roaming you can simply go onto the verizon network. The Curve for Sprint has more features and Verizon is always late on phones. I've had no problems with Sprint customer service thus far.

but NEXTEL IS TRASH
    Sprint does not have the same coverage. I switch from them because I couldn't get a signal in my apartment. But as soon as I got VZW, no issues. There's a reason why sprint lost over 1.5 million customers last year and is on the brink of bankruptcy.
    07-23-08 01:05 PM
    Stay away from SPRINT there is a reason they are cheaper and we will all see why soon enough.
    Always behind in technology? Do you mean phones or technology? Because I agree with phones, but not with technology. Verizon data network is one of the fastest and the new one next year will be even faster, and we all know about how great the phone coverage is. So if you have a gripe about phones, that's fine, but don't speak about the technology because you are incorrect.
    07-23-08 01:07 PM
    I switched from Verizon to Sprint a while back and get better coverage in my area, and it does cost less in my situation.

But I'd talk to others that have Sprint in your area and see how their service is. As long as you get good service with Sprint in your area, I don't see why not.

And I'd like to add that I've been much happier with Sprint than Verizon!
    Last edited by srd05c; 07-23-08 at 04:48 PM.
    07-23-08 01:23 PM
    Yes, he considered at&t, but then he did his research and found the numerous horrible (and well-deserved, I might add) reviews of the carrier from Consumer Reports, J.D. Power & Associates, etc. I'm glad you like your service, but I for one won't settle for being put on a pedestal behind the iPhone.

That's wrong. First off, you can't just "choose" the Verizon network as your post implies. When Sprint towers are around, no matter how horrible they are, you're using them.

Also, customer service on Sprint sucks! I know people call this a "toss up," but Sprint seems to consistently garner horrid reviews from any poll, survey, or study.

Ah yes, Verizon is always late on phones; but wait, who had the Curve first? Verizon or Sprint? Oh, that's right, it was Verizon! So the very phone you own negates the dumb comment you just made. Nice one, genius.
    07-23-08 01:24 PM
    I have used the following carriers: alltel, sprint and verion wirelesss. By far Verizon is more expensive, but its by far been the best. The service is oustanding as well as the customer service. Its worth the extra few bucks, I promise.

07-23-08 08:22 PM
    I have used the following carriers: alltel, sprint and verion wirelesss. By far Verizon is more expensive, but its by far been the best. The service is oustanding as well as the customer service. Its worth the extra few bucks, I promise.

Verizon is pretty awesome in terms of customer service. NE2 is suppose to apply to one phone per plan every 2 years, but on our 4 person family plan we all get new phones every 2 years because we go in and pretty much just ask for the NE2 price and they look up our account and see that is like almost 200 bucks a month and they are like, Ya no problem!
    07-23-08 10:06 PM
    Sprint is MUCH cheaper but just as SLOW when it comes to getting NEW phones. As you can see Sprint is just now getting the Curve LOL! But I have great service for a great price!
    07-24-08 09:31 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD