I'm thinking about getting my wife a Curve, especially now with the price drop. My question is this...seems as if you can set up a Gmail account to work with the Curve, but what about an email address tied to a domain I set up for a small business? We have a web host and emails are delivered from their server to her Outlook on her desktop. I set that up there, can it work with a BB Curve?

Probably so...just asking here for confirmation. As it's a very small business we have no IT support, I'm "IT" for her. If I can tie the email from the web host and her special domain email address to the Curve, how difficult is it to do that?

Thanks in advance!
    08-09-08 10:20 PM
    If it is set up with outlook web access, then you can configure it to the BIS, or if you can enable pop or imap same thing goes.
    08-09-08 10:38 PM
    If it is set up with outlook web access, then you can configure it to the BIS, or if you can enable pop or imap same thing goes.
    Looks like I'll be visiting the VZW site to set up the blackberry account, etc. I did just review the 101 class on email and how to set it up (I posted the link here but got shut down because I'm still a newbie, can't post links)... It was a good tutorial for BIS set ups...

One question I did have was whether I'd be using BIS or BES as this isn't a Gmail, hotmail deal. I have a domain I established with email addresses for my wife at my web host. I'm wondering if basically I'm dealing with a BES situation rather than BIS.

I'll bet once I get the phone and get rolling setting it up, it will be easier than I'm imagining it to be... Although I'm not an IT person, I have decent knowledge regarding these types of projects.
    08-09-08 10:50 PM
    It'll be a BIS setup. BES requires a BES server to be tied to the email server that's hosting the email account in question. From your description of her account on the domain you setup, the account is most likely a POP account so BIS it'll have to be. Be aware that email delivery will not be instant... 10-15 poll delay. That's a limitation of the BIS service.
    08-10-08 01:20 AM
    Looks like I'll be visiting the VZW site to set up the blackberry account, etc. I did just review the 101 class on email and how to set it up (I posted the link here but got shut down because I'm still a newbie, can't post links)... It was a good tutorial for BIS set ups...

One question I did have was whether I'd be using BIS or BES as this isn't a Gmail, hotmail deal. I have a domain I established with email addresses for my wife at my web host. I'm wondering if basically I'm dealing with a BES situation rather than BIS.

I'll bet once I get the phone and get rolling setting it up, it will be easier than I'm imagining it to be... Although I'm not an IT person, I have decent knowledge regarding these types of projects.
    As stated above you will need to use the BIS. The site you need to go to set this up is:

BlackBerry Internet Service

I reccommend you make this favorite as well. Can come in handy in the future.
    08-10-08 07:12 AM
    As stated above you will need to use the BIS. The site you need to go to set this up is:

I reccommend you make this favorite as well. Can come in handy in the future.
    Lastraid, thanks for the link...worked like a charm. Not too difficult at all, set my wife's email up. Only issues... I could send email from her BB but wasn't able to receive. I did receive the "Welcome/Congrats" email from BB, but emails I sent from another personal account, the one I was sending emails to successfully from the BB, weren't coming thru to the BB.

The fix for above seemingly was, from the site Lastraid provided, to go into my account at this site and send "service books". This sent another, identical email on the "Welcome/Congrats" and seemed to wake it up. It was hours that the thing wasn't working, not the 20 minutes they say you have to wait for it to be functional. In any event, either coincidence or the service books...the thing works now.

Other issue is you can't see "sent items" in Outlook (it's not on an exchange server...just a pop/imap account as others noted above) on her machine. The fix here is to send a BCC from the online account management (Lastraid's provided link) and send a BCC to the same email you are using...then move to Sent Items manually in Outlook. Not too bad...

Thanks all!
    08-10-08 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD