Hello all... Here's an interesting situation that I've come across with no current solution. I have a user (originally with a VZW 8330) living in the Lake Odessa MI (48849) region that has had great coverage up until a week or two ago. Full service (bars) and calls and data transfers were at least "par". Since then he has experienced non-stop problems.

Symptom: Full (or 4/5) "bars" when in a given location (house or outside), receive a call and service drops and so does the call. VERY FEW outgoing calls connect, let alone stay connected without dropping.

My first response was to update the PRL, that didn't help. Sent him to Verizon, and they said that the refurbished phone they sent him weeks ago had a radio problem, so they replaced it with an 8520 Curve. Same issue even with updated PRL. Back to Verizon, upgraded to Tour (apparently the Rep figured it should have the "best" radio function) but this has also not corrected the issue. Have an open work order in Verizon's system on the issue, but has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    pi_admin

(Oh, and don't tell me to pull the battery, lol)
    03-03-10 10:48 AM
    I've been having problems the last few days while at home, noticed the PRL was updated so not sure if that has something to do with it, seems to clear up when I go outside (never had to before). Calls are dropping, person can't hear me and such. Signal seems to be fluctuating a lot from 4 bars down to zero and everything in between. Haven't noticed any problems anywhere else so not sure if it's a tower issue or perhaps something with the updated PRL.
    03-03-10 12:20 PM
    I'm in Traverse City (49684) and have been having problems for the last few weeks. I have been having dropped calls where I normally have service. Some areas phone will go from 1XEV to 1X and stay there for a while. Drop a call and after it drops signal goes back up to full bars. Seems like its not getting a good hand off to the next tower. Tried updating PRL and no luck. I did the reprogram of the phone also and no luck. Been too busy to vzw and have not had a hour free to go to the vzw store and wait.

Nick

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 08:47 PM
    Honestly try talking to a level two tech or above, someone who can actually say it's the network having the flaw and not the phone.
    03-04-10 01:06 AM
    If there is an open work order for it, it won't matter who you talk to lol until the order is closed.
    03-04-10 02:10 PM
    Updating your PRL will not improve your reception while in your home area. This is a myth that will not go away.
    03-04-10 02:24 PM
    Updating your PRL will not improve your reception while in your home area. This is a myth that will not go away.
    Actually it will. Don't let the preferred "roaming" list part confuse you. I've updated data card customers in the Michigan area and immediately went from 1X connections to EVDO Rev A because of a PRL update (per system performance engineers).

There's a lot more to a PRL than you think. Especially since the Alltel/VZW merge there are a lot of overlapping networks and switching between different systems. It really does affect the reception.
    03-04-10 07:09 PM
    Actually it will. Don't let the preferred "roaming" list part confuse you. I've updated data card customers in the Michigan area and immediately went from 1X connections to EVDO Rev A because of a PRL update (per system performance engineers).

There's a lot more to a PRL than you think. Especially since the Alltel/VZW merge there are a lot of overlapping networks and switching between different systems. It really does affect the reception.
    Are you talking about the special circumstances in your case or PRL updates in the rest of the Verizon universe. I don't think I'm confused

03-05-10 09:07 AM
    In areas where coverage was previously present a PRL update will help. I deal with ppl all over the country with voice issues.

03-05-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD