For some reason, the other day, my phone (Blackberry Tour) was letting me send EMS messages. At the top, instead of just saying "160," it said "160 1/6" and allowed me to continue typing through multiple messages then send it out. Then, all of a sudden, moments later, it was gone. Then it came back, and then it was gone. Strange.

The same thing happened in April, though I was abroad and not using texting daily; I happened to use it one day for a few messages and it worked. I assumed it was part of the new OS but when I tried upon my return to the US in May it was no longer an option.

I called Verizon and they didn't know anything about it; the best the girl could offer me was that it was a "fluke" and that sometimes RIM sends out tests for their devices temporarily, but if it doesn't work, they take it away.

Basically, does anyone know why this happened? Did it happen to anyone else? Is it possible that it could be in some upcoming software, that maybe they're testing it? I'm currently running .732. It always bothered me that my Blackberry couldn't send out EMS messages when my old crappy Samsung could. I know everyone says to just write emails if I'm going to write something longer, but it's usually only 2-10 chars over, and a LOT of my friends don't have smartphones but have Verizon, so EMS would be perfect. Breaking it up into multiple SMS texts is just annoying, and MMS isn't threaded like the SMS, plus a majority of the time I don't know exactly how many characters I'm going to be writing ahead of time :/

Any help would be appreciated!
    06-19-10 10:51 PM
    Here is a thread which has a few answers about the EMS messages on Verizon.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/i-g...-storm-233109/
    06-19-10 11:02 PM
    For some reason, the other day, my phone (Blackberry Tour) was letting me send EMS messages. At the top, instead of just saying "160," it said "160 1/6" and allowed me to continue typing through multiple messages then send it out. Then, all of a sudden, moments later, it was gone. Then it came back, and then it was gone. Strange.

The same thing happened in April, though I was abroad and not using texting daily; I happened to use it one day for a few messages and it worked. I assumed it was part of the new OS but when I tried upon my return to the US in May it was no longer an option.

I called Verizon and they didn't know anything about it; the best the girl could offer me was that it was a "fluke" and that sometimes RIM sends out tests for their devices temporarily, but if it doesn't work, they take it away.
    When it says "160 1/6" you're not getting EMS, it's breaking up your longer messages into multiple SMS messages. Also, for whatever reason, when your phone is in CDMA mode, it should only say "160", but when you're in GSM (while you were abroad), the phone will do the automatic splitting. I'm not sure why RIM or the CDMA carriers don't allow the message splitting while in CDMA mode. Also not sure why it was showing up while you were here with normal home coverage.

I've also never heard of RIM sending out a test and revoking it temporarily. I think that sounds like some pretty big BS line.
    06-21-10 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD