12-04-09 04:00 PM
50 12
tools
    This is my letter I wrote.

Hello Senator,

I recently read your proposed bill and letter to lowell mcadam the ceo of Verizon Wireless regarding new early termination fees. You are mistaken on certain things regarding the new fees. For one, I would hope that a family depending on wireless services would not be using advanced devices such as the droid a blackberry or a windows mobile device due to the increased cost in using one.

Also, the new ETF is in place to assist in the constantly growing cost of discounting equipment for customers. Also, perhaps you could read the verizon wireless terms and conditions before you write the CEO. Verizon still allows people moving to an out of coverage area to leave their contract with no fee.

Also, is it really the governments job to intervene in a free market where customers should decide what is acceptable and what is not? With all the competition out there, it is easy for a customer to switch to a cell carrier that doesn't charge these fees or they could purchase a phone at full retail price and avoid the contract. I think there are more important issues to tackle in washington like the deficit and budget reform.

Thanks for reading,

Xxxx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 03:10 PM
    The only problem is there are fewer and fewer options in many areas.

Consolidation of the industry has really screwed choice.....Great example is Alltel being bought by Verizon.

I know where I'm originally from in Kansas, there was Alltel, Unicel....and that was it. No Sprint, no Verizon, no AT&T.

now there's going to be ....Verizon and AT&T (eventually once the Unicel stuff's completed)

that's it

fewer and fewer regional carriers is bad for the customer
    11-10-09 03:14 PM
    Well, if those regional carriers actually MADE money...

11-10-09 03:19 PM
    You have to consider two points.

1. There are existing antitrust legislations in-place already to prevent monopoly.

2. Local and regional carriers are being bought out because these regions (business volume) do not have the economics to sustance such a busiess. You can't force a business to operate in these regions and loose money. So it's either Verizon/AT&T or nothing. It's like there is no NFL teams in AK, ND, VT, etc.
    11-10-09 03:20 PM
    I just wonder that will the new ETF apply for all contracts signed before Nov 15th or just the contracts after that date? Any VZW Rep here ?
    JC how manY threadS are out here on this...........
    IT ONLY APPLIES TO CONTRACTS ON SMARTPHONES AFTER 11/15/09
    11-10-09 03:32 PM
    read article

post tech - update: Lawmaker to introduce bill on cancellation fees after verizon's increase

this is bogus. I don't agree or disagree with the etf. This is verizon pricing policy, why do these people want to keep inteferring with free market pricing. We all should send her an email about her stupidity.

P.s.
    I just sent her a message regarding this at

senator amy klobuchar
    what a c##t
    11-10-09 03:36 PM
    Why can't she like I dunno... Investigate the BCS?

11-10-09 03:45 PM
    I would venture to say that if a carrier were forced by the government to lower ETFs they would make the money back somehow. Maybe increase data plans by say $10/ month or even increase all phone plans $1/month. Talk about unintended consequences.
    11-10-09 04:02 PM
    It would mean that subsidized pricing would go out the door.

11-10-09 04:10 PM
    What is this senator telling our children? Sign a contract and you break without having penalty. Wow I am impressed.

Also I read she is whining that wireless industry cannot police themselves. Has she look at the group she works for?
    11-10-09 04:51 PM
    Anti-business, big government, power-hungry tramp of ill-repute & corruption.

But I'll bet she's a nice lady in person.

11-10-09 05:22 PM

LOL, it's sad the things politicians will stick their noses into in order to seem like they care.
    11-10-09 06:57 PM

I would like a investigation of the BCS, but really they need to look into the SEC first !
    11-10-09 07:00 PM
    Why? Because the SEC is stronger than anyone else?

11-10-09 07:01 PM
    Anyone notice this dingbat's mainpage? I did - currently, take a look at how prevalent the anti-cellphone activity is with this disgrace.

Latest News

Klobuchar: Wireless Carriers Early Termination Fees are Anti-Competitive and Anti-Consumer

11/09/09
    Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, who introduced the Cell Phone Consumer Empowerment Act in the 110th Congress, sent a letter to the Verizon Wireless President and CEO Lowell C. McAdam, criticizing the company’s decision to increase its Early Termination Fees (ETFs) for new smart phone customers. Klobuchar also sent a letter to Federal Communications Chairman (FCC) Julius Genachowski, urging a review of the Verizon Wireless decision to raise these fees.
    Read More…

Klobuchar, Franken, Dorgan Introduce Bill to Ban Use of Wireless Devices in Airplane Cockpits

11/05/09
    (WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senators Amy Klobuchar, Al Franken, and Byron Dorgan today sponsored legislation to prohibit the use of personal wireless communication devices by the flight crew while operating commercial aircraft.
    Read More…

Klobuchar Promotes Legislation to Ban Texting while Driving, Questions Transportation Secretary on Northwest Incident

10/28/09
    Washington, D.C. – At a Senate Commerce Committee hearing today focusing on the risks of distracted driving, U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar called for legislation to ban texting while driving, a dangerous practice that has claimed the lives of thousands of motorists nationwide.
    Read More…

Klobuchar Pushes for Legislation to Combat Medicare Fraud

10/28/09
    Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the author of cost-reducing Medicare reform legislation, today pushed for legislation to help stop fraud in the U.S. health care system. At a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing to explore ways to prevent health care fraud, Klobuchar highlighted the vulnerabilities of the current Medicare/Medicaid payment system and called for the Senate to adopt the IMPROVE Act, a payment reform bill that would require direct depositing of all Medicare and Medicaid payments made to providers. Regulations currently call for direct deposits, but are not uniformly enforced.
    Read More…
    11-10-09 07:02 PM
    Why? Because the SEC is stronger than anyone else?

No not really the SEC teams but why The officials are making bad calls even against there own SEC teams
    11-10-09 07:03 PM
    No not really the SEC teams but why The officials are making bad calls even against there own SEC teams
    Heh.. That's just officials, and the SEC has suspended a few crews for horrible penalty calling.

11-10-09 07:49 PM
    Anyone notice this dingbat's mainpage? I did - currently, take a look at how prevalent the anti-cellphone activity is with this disgrace.
    I think this is reverse pychology thing. She probably wants lobby money from the cell phone industry. By trashing them left and right, the cell phone industry may decide throw some cash her way.
    11-10-09 07:57 PM
    Heh.. That's just officials, and the SEC has suspended a few crews for horrible penalty calling.

I still think there is alot of money and contracts Involved to have a sec team in a NC game, that these calls are just so happening to keep teams from losing ( or at least help them stay undefeated) and its mostly happening inside the SEC. last 20 NC games 15 have been SEC schools.
    11-10-09 07:58 PM
    Yeah but if you look at the seasons objectively, every unbeaten SEC or even 1 loss SEC team earned that record against superior competition. I can't be unbiased in this one considering I'm a Florida fan..

11-10-09 08:41 PM
    I still think there is alot of money and contracts Involved to have a sec team in a NC game, that these calls are just so happening to keep teams from losing ( or at least help them stay undefeated) and its mostly happening inside the SEC. last 20 NC games 15 have been SEC schools.
    WTF is an NC game?

On Topic:
    I fired off an email to this ***** Senator basically telling her to not mess with something she doesn't understand. What a foll she is.
    11-10-09 11:17 PM
    On Topic:
    I fired off an email to this ***** Senator basically telling her to not mess with something she doesn't understand. What a foll she is.
    Thank you - was about ready to ask this thread be moved to the social forums...

That is a great idea, though - all CB users unite & flood that nutjob (all leftists are nutjobs) with email protests.
    11-10-09 11:56 PM
    [QUOTE=jahoobob;4059086]WTF is an NC game?

NC=National Championship game
    11-11-09 12:50 PM
    The story contiunes ..........

FCC Taking On Verizon's New ETF (Phone Scoop)

Isn't this just a complete waste of taxpayer money?
    12-04-09 02:29 PM
    I just wrote the Senator and, although I have ATT, voiced my support for all of your opinions on her bill, the ETF and the Verizon you all love so much.

That ETF really won't matter since everyone that has Verizon is so happy and satisfied they will never want to leave. Churn really doesn't matter does it?

With all of this in mind, I suggested she reverse her stance and introduce a bill that will allow Verizon to require new agreements with the higher ETF for all customers, event current ones, irregardless of their phone. I feel that all of you VZW fans could show your support for that #1 customer satisfaction company by calling and requesting a new agreement with the new ETF. How about it? Are you all ready to support the carrier you love? Come on, lets show that Senator how you really feel about your wireless carrier and make sure she understands "There's a fee for that" and "Can you pay me now?"

Don't thank me. I was happy to do it.
    Last edited by tgilmore16; 12-04-09 at 04:05 PM.
    12-04-09 04:00 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD