Hi, my father in law got a Storm2 the other day (less than a week) and isn't crazy about the touchscreen. He just decided to reactive an LG flip he had (he's not really a smartphone guy) and move on. He swtiched devices and had Verizon cancel his data service. So now I'm selling this like new, in box, storm2 for him but need to clean it up first. I read some posts, but am not sure if they hit my questions dead on.

The question is this - I read that when you sell a BB, you should call Verizon and have them cancel/remove/unassociate the BIS account for that BB PIN, so the new owner can use the phone for email. Is that the case? Or since he canceled his BB data plan altogether (not with a smartphone now), does that happen by default? Would the new owner have any issues? Wouldn't the new owner need to know his email account password to reset up the email, which he wouldn't even know? Can I just do this via the BIS website without contacting verizon?

I've done a security wipe on the device so it's clean. The only thing showing is his phone number, which I can't figure out how to get rid of, not that I think it matters. The new owner wouldn't be able to use that number without knowing all the account info (no different than knowing anyone's cell number). Is there a way to get it out of the phone though, just for the sake of it?

Just trying to do as much as I can for him without him having to call. He's not technical, so that is always an adventure. Thanks.
    09-11-10 09:08 PM
    You can call them to have them remove the pin, that's the quickest way. Also dial ##000000 and deleted your MDN and MIN from the phone, so that way your dad's number isn't on there. Some people don't always know about that but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    09-11-10 11:11 PM
    So even if the data service was cancelled, that PIN is still associated with his BIS account? Does he even still have a BIS account? Just want to be sure I understand.

And thanks for the programming code. That did the trick.

Thanks for helping me out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 07:59 AM
    No problem. The BIS account is not active, but it's still associated with his MEID, pin and MDN.

09-12-10 08:15 AM
    I just double checked too. In the service edit menu, MDN is clearly Mobile Directory Number, but the other one I changed to 000s is labeled IMSI_S. I assume that was MIN. It was the only other entry with the mobile number on it in that menu.

Is that right? Or did I miss MIN somewhere else?

Thanks again!
    09-12-10 09:35 AM
    Why wouldn't he just return it for a refund since it is within the 30 days?

Oh yeah...the two times I have cancelled service on a BB to sell VZW cleared the PIN and everything automaticaly. I think that's standard procedure as long as your account is in good standing and everything. If you cancel VZW service though it doesn't happen until your final bill is paid up, I believe.

Last edited by ChuckH0308; 09-12-10 at 02:54 PM.
    09-12-10 02:46 PM
    Exactly what I asked him. He sent the rebate in right away, and he bought it through a Verizon agent, not a corporate store. The agent wouldn't take it back with the box cut. I believe Verizon would, and they just deduct the rebate amount. But he did try, and they wouldn't do it.
    09-12-10 02:53 PM
    Interesting. Did he try calling corporate? I don't know how that works with agents...maybe you do have to buy from corporate for the 30 day. Oh well... Shouldn't be hard to sell. I sold two Storm 9530's here ib the Crackberry Marketplace and both sold within a couple days.

09-12-10 02:59 PM
    I doubt he called VZW directly. He doesn't work that way. He wasn't worried about the money, just wanted to get into something that worked for him. The agent said they would have gladly exchanged it had he not cut the box to send the rebate in.
    09-12-10 03:22 PM
    Exactly what I asked him. He sent the rebate in right away, and he bought it through a Verizon agent, not a corporate store. The agent wouldn't take it back with the box cut. I believe Verizon would, and they just deduct the rebate amount. But he did try, and they wouldn't do it.
    Bummer! When I got my new Bold a couple weeks ago, the rep who set it up for me cut out the section of the box that needs to be sent in for the rebate, then made a photocopy of it for me to keep, in case I *did* need to bring the phone back (either for a warranty issue or just wanted to swap it for something different if I changed my mind). He even put the box cutout in a postage-paid envelope for me, and asked me to fill in my return address, so I just dropped in the mail on the way home, and when I checked online a few days later, the rebate info had been received and was in process.
    09-12-10 09:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD