Hello,

I'm about to receive a replacement BB Storm from Verizon through a warranty replacement as the original had a host of issues and was wondering what the procedure for selling the replacement (on Ebay, etc) would be.

I'm currently out of contract with Verizon, rather sick of dealing with the Storm, and instead will be switching to the Tour on Sprint via my family's plan. (Nothing against VZW, but service through my family's Sprint plan will be significantly cheaper for me).

I'm assuming that after I cancel VZW service and port my number, the replacement Storm's ESN will be clear to sell, correct? If not, does anyone know the specific policy on selling replacement phones? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    08-16-09 03:26 PM
    You need to return the one you currently have or you will be charged the full retail value.
    08-16-09 04:31 PM
    I've never heard of having to return a phone. He bought it, it's his--that's my understanding.
    08-16-09 04:34 PM
    I've never heard of having to return a phone. He bought it, it's his--that's my understanding.
    If VZW replaces a device under Warr. the defective must be returned, or be charge for replacement.
    08-16-09 04:39 PM
    If you sell it, you might as well just send the cash to Verizon. You'll see a nice charge for $518 on your bill.
    08-16-09 04:43 PM
    Sorry if I didn't mae it clear - I'm sending my original bb back after I get the replacement. I then want to sell the replacement before I close out my vzw account

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 05:04 PM
    I dont get how you are out of contract unless you paid full retail price for the Storm back in November when it came out. But....technically if you are out of contract you shouldnt have a problem selling it.
    08-16-09 05:14 PM
    Sorry if I didn't mae it clear - I'm sending my original bb back after I get the replacement. I then want to sell the replacement before I close out my vzw account

Ahh okay, that's better. Activate it and then sell it if that's what you are looking to do.
    08-16-09 05:15 PM
    I dont get how you are out of contract unless you paid full retail price for the Storm back in November when it came out. But....technically if you are out of contract you shouldnt have a problem selling it.
    Yeah - I got it full price back in February. Now the screen's become increasingly unresponsive, especially outside in humid weather, and there's a bunch of dust in it. I'm assuming the screen wasn't sealed properly. Hopefully the next iteration of the BB Storm fares better than the first.

Ahh okay, that's better. Activate it and then sell it if that's what you are looking to do.
    So all I have to do is activate the replacement, and after I've canceled service, the ESN will automatically be clear and alright to sell? Is there a time lag? Sorry for all these questions, just the first time I've attempted to do something like this.

Thanks
    08-16-09 06:42 PM
    Your phone's ESN won't be clear until after the billing cycle is over and the balance is paid if full. To get around this if you can't wait is after you activate it, put a spare phone (if you have one) on the account and that will free up the ESN. I have bought a couple phones off of co-workers and I had to wait to activate the phone until after their billing cycle was over.

08-16-09 06:58 PM
    Your phone's ESN won't be clear until after the billing cycle is over and the balance is paid if full. To get around this if you can't wait is after you activate it, put a spare phone (if you have one) on the account and that will free up the ESN. I have bought a couple phones off of co-workers and I had to wait to activate the phone until after their billing cycle was over.

So if I activate the Berry and then throw my old RAZR on the account before I cancel it, I should be fine?

Also, if say, my billing cycle ends on the 31st, and I cancel service on the 15th - they'll be charging me the whole cycle?

Thanks
    08-16-09 07:16 PM
    Yes you will be fine and have a clear ESN on the storm, once you put the RAZR on your account, been there done it. And yes VZW won't cancel your service until after your billing cycle, again been there done it. Unless they have different guidelines for that with service has been out of contract. I called to cancel my data card 3 days into my new cycle (still in contract) and they made me wait out the rest of my cycle before it got canceled. Same with the two phones I got from my co-workers, VZW would not let me activate it until after their billing cycle was up.

08-16-09 08:25 PM
    Yes you will be fine and have a clear ESN on the storm, once you put the RAZR on your account, been there done it. And yes VZW won't cancel your service until after your billing cycle, again been there done it. Unless they have different guidelines for that with service has been out of contract. I called to cancel my data card 3 days into my new cycle (still in contract) and they made me wait out the rest of my cycle before it got canceled. Same with the two phones I got from my co-workers, VZW would not let me activate it until after their billing cycle was up.

Thanks this helps a lot
    08-16-09 08:32 PM
    you can sell it that shoudl not be a problem
    08-17-09 01:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD