I'll apoligize in advance if this is a repeat/repost but I have yet to find anything that's carrier specific...

Does anyone know if Verizon will allow "standard" customers with non-corporate accounts to choose the last four of their phone number?

I know that there are exceptions... for instance, those promoting businesses might advertise 678.234.Paint

What is it that you need to say to the customer service reps so that they will allow you to choose your last four?!
    08-24-09 03:30 PM
    You can't choose the last four of the number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 03:33 PM
    As being a "standard" customer, as you put it, you cannot choose the last 4 digits. It's selected at random. At least I don't know of a way it can be done. I'm sure CSR's use a different system than I do and they MAY be able to do it but as far as an indirect goes you can't do it.
    08-24-09 03:35 PM
    Nope, cant do it. Not possible so no need for the "well my friend told me..." or "i know someone..." rebuttle.
    08-24-09 03:36 PM
    As being a "standard" customer, as you put it, you cannot choose the last 4 digits. It's selected at random. At least I don't know of a way it can be done. I'm sure CSR's use a different system than I do and they MAY be able to do it but as far as an indirect goes you can't do it.
    I believe you but how is it that some ppl advertise the last four with letters... is that a mere coincidence?
    08-24-09 03:42 PM
    I believe you but how is it that some ppl advertise the last four with letters... is that a mere coincidence?
    I'm sorry but I have no idea. It could be coincidence.
    08-24-09 03:44 PM
    Hey guys - all of my VZW phones end with the same last four. Several relatives have matching last four. One has his matched for home, business & personal VZW cell phones.

Granted, these were not originally ordered online or through the regular 611 system, but still, it is possible. They weren't ported from elsewhere, either.

Could it be a different system?

08-24-09 04:40 PM
    Those are landlines. There probably is a way to buy your own promotional number with them, no way that 1-800-FLOWERS is just a coincidence...
    08-24-09 04:40 PM
    Yes landline service is different and as for other cell phone carriers, I know that with US Cellular you can request the last 4 of your cell phone number, but I know that with Verizon you can't (at least with my experience)
    08-24-09 04:51 PM
    Also our system auto tries to sequence numbers on FS plans if you change them all at the time. Which is why some FS plans are within 1 number of eachother.
    08-24-09 05:01 PM
    Hey guys - all of my VZW phones end with the same last four. Several relatives have matching last four. One has his matched for home, business & personal VZW cell phones.

Granted, these were not originally ordered online or through the regular 611 system, but still, it is possible. They weren't ported from elsewhere, either.

Great question about it being in a different system. I knew this was possible because I see numbers like 531.DOGS, 895.CARE etc... This is seen more often than not & that's why I was wondering if it was possible for corporate accounts only!

08-24-09 05:16 PM

Several years ago (2001-02) when I worked in a VZW retail store it was possible (but not easy) to pick the last four of your number. However, since I moved on I've learned from various friends that still work in retail that many of the system loopholes have been closed.
    08-24-09 05:25 PM
    See, I figured you couldn't... I've been asked and I've often tried to see if it was possible to figure it out for a customer.
    Over at AT&T u got a list of three and could choose. This system just brings up the next avail for use, you can't even choose prefix as far as I've seen or tried.

08-24-09 05:49 PM
    Several years ago (2001-02) when I worked in a VZW retail store it was possible (but not easy) to pick the last four of your number. However, since I moved on I've learned from various friends that still work in retail that many of the system loopholes have been closed.
    Okay - that would explain it. Each of us got the numbers at least that far back. My last one was about 2006.

08-24-09 06:01 PM
    See, I figured you couldn't... I've been asked and I've often tried to see if it was possible to figure it out for a customer.
    Over at AT&T u got a list of three and could choose. This system just brings up the next avail for use, you can't even choose prefix as far as I've seen or tried.

I'm not certain that everyone is in agreeance on whether or not you can choose your last four; looks like some believe it's possible while others believe that it isn't. Also, I have chosen pre fixes while a Verizon customer. T-mobile allows you to choose your number provided it's available so I considered activating a line with them & porting the number over; we'll see though...

08-24-09 06:02 PM
    I'm not certain that everyone is in agreeance on whether or not you can choose your last four; looks like some believe it's possible while others believe that it isn't. Also, I have chosen pre fixes while a Verizon customer. T-mobile allows you to choose your number provided it's available so I considered activating a line with them & porting the number over; we'll see though...
    Here"s the deal - just got off the phone with my account manager - he said it can be done, depending on how your account is flagged & what department you call - try sweet-talking a business services rep - but he also said that regular 611 reps cannot normally do it. As far as he knew, when they pulled up a new phone number, there is a grouping of four to choose from & those can be cycled through, but they can't search for a specific string. He also said some level 2 techs may still have access to do it - call them with a problem, talk nicely & see if you can wrangle it from them.

He also said VZW policy on this changes periodically depending on region & exchange number pool.

So, if you can't get a business rep to do it for you and a level 2 tells you no, there is another option if you have local telephone service. Call your local telco & ask if they offer distinctive ring service - one line with multiple (usually up to three additional) numbers with different ring patterns. If they do (most do), ask them what their charge is for a vanity number. The charges will vary depending on the state, as the PUC usually dictates how much the local telco can charge, if any. Sometimes, it is a fee of say $25 for vanity & more for an easy number like 555-0000.

Get that number, then port it to your cell service.

Last option would be to pick up a vanity number from one of the online VoIP services - Skype, Google Voice, etc. Then port that number.

08-24-09 06:57 PM
    When I added a line via the internet I was given the option to pick one of three numbers that were available. I did not get to choose what the numbers were. They were auto generated. I only got to pick which one of the three I liked. I would assume that is the policy.
    08-24-09 07:00 PM
    In case anyone's curious, the way it works on our screens is this. We hit "phone number change", and we get a popup allowing us to select area code and prefix. We can search for prefixes by area code, zip code, etc.

Then we pick, and the popup disappears, and the last four, taken randomly from available stock, are placed at the end.

So yeah, we really don't have control over the last four.
    08-24-09 07:17 PM
    Here"s the deal - just got off the phone with my account manager - he said it can be done, depending on how your account is flagged & what department you call - try sweet-talking a business services rep - but he also said that regular 611 reps cannot normally do it. As far as he knew, when they pulled up a new phone number, there is a grouping of four to choose from & those can be cycled through, but they can't search for a specific string. He also said some level 2 techs may still have access to do it - call them with a problem, talk nicely & see if you can wrangle it from them.

He also said VZW policy on this changes periodically depending on region & exchange number pool.

So, if you can't get a business rep to do it for you and a level 2 tells you no, there is another option if you have local telephone service. Call your local telco & ask if they offer distinctive ring service - one line with multiple (usually up to three additional) numbers with different ring patterns. If they do (most do), ask them what their charge is for a vanity number. The charges will vary depending on the state, as the PUC usually dictates how much the local telco can charge, if any. Sometimes, it is a fee of say $25 for vanity & more for an easy number like 555-0000.

Get that number, then port it to your cell service.

Last option would be to pick up a vanity number from one of the online VoIP services - Skype, Google Voice, etc. Then port that number.

Do you know how you would go about requesting a business service rep?
    08-24-09 07:29 PM
    Try this. I think this is what people do. And just make words that go with their company.

What does your phone number spell?
    08-24-09 07:30 PM
    When choosing a number with vzw is it based off of the zip code provided or a landline area code and prefix given. Years ago, yes you could choose your number because there were a ton of numbers available. Now it is not the case. I know CS used to have the option to try to reserve a number, but it almost never worked because that specific number was already in use. Store level associates don't have that option when changing a number but you may be able to try and see if it's still possible. No guarantees though.
    08-24-09 07:45 PM
    Do you know how you would go about requesting a business service rep?
    Generic number - route to business services (My Business instead of My Verizon) - is 800-922-0204 - just do it between 6am – 7pm MST, Monday – Friday while the business reps are working.

Note that those are Mountain STANDARD Time hours. Make the proper Daylight time adjustments for your area.

08-24-09 08:09 PM
    My question is, what does it matter? Its a phone number...10 digits long...just like every other phone number in the United States. Then, once the person you are calling saves your number in their new fangled contact list in his or her cellphone you are just a name, no number.
    08-25-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD