Greetings everyone, this is my first post on Crackberry. The site and forums are informative and I think it's great.

Anyways, here's my post. (my advance apologies if it's a bit lengthy)

I, like a lot of you on Verizon want the Tour (9630) and can't wait for it's reportedly July release. The thing with me is I recently signed with Verizon back in September/October of last year and obviously am nowhere near a 2 year or even 1 year anniversary on my contract. Whenever I go to Verizon's website just to look at what other phones they have, it tells me that if I want to upgrade my phone, I would have to pay full retail price on it, so we're talking about around $400+ for their current offering of BlackBerry models. I'm pretty certain that when the Tour comes out, that will be the case as well if I upgrade through their site. Does anyone know if I choose to upgrade say in-store or over the phone, if I would still have to pay the full retail price on the Tour?

Another thing I was thinking about is what if I were to cancel my current contract, eat the ETF (which if anyone knows if it's pro-rated) and then re-sign and get the Tour at the "new w/2 yr" price, if that would be a somewhat cheaper option to go?

If anyone has any advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    05-29-09 03:43 PM
    You can do an early upgrade 12 months into your current contract. canceling and paying ETF is plain dumb, just wait
    05-29-09 04:12 PM
    Greetings everyone, this is my first post on Crackberry. The site and forums are informative and I think it's great.

Anyways, here's my post. (my advance apologies if it's a bit lengthy)

I, like a lot of you on Verizon want the Tour (9630) and can't wait for it's reportedly July release. The thing with me is I recently signed with Verizon back in September/October of last year and obviously am nowhere near a 2 year or even 1 year anniversary on my contract. Whenever I go to Verizon's website just to look at what other phones they have, it tells me that if I want to upgrade my phone, I would have to pay full retail price on it, so we're talking about around $400+ for their current offering of BlackBerry models. I'm pretty certain that when the Tour comes out, that will be the case as well if I upgrade through their site. Does anyone know if I choose to upgrade say in-store or over the phone, if I would still have to pay the full retail price on the Tour?

Another thing I was thinking about is what if I were to cancel my current contract, eat the ETF (which if anyone knows if it's pro-rated) and then re-sign and get the Tour at the "new w/2 yr" price, if that would be a somewhat cheaper option to go?

If anyone has any advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

yes you will have to pay full retail - it could be cheaper to etf and resign depending on the phone price.
    05-29-09 04:36 PM
    All things considered, it's always more expensive to cancel and restart. Not only are you responsible for the ETF, but the credit department looks as false churn (false cancellations) as a fraud issue, and can legally charge you a security deposit because you are known to breach contract (I haven't actually ever seen them do this though). PLUS, you will be responsible for activation fees, you'll loose your number (no getting it back, period the end), and you will be prorated on your new service.

Check for an early upgrade option. Not all lines are eligible to upgrade after a year. You have to be on a minimum plan for a certain amount of time before you can cash in on that. Just wait until it comes out. See what it costs. Right now it's too early to be mulling over a decision like that, especially with the negative reprocussions it can have. I'd advise waiting until after it launches, go in and see a rep, and ask if there's anything they can do to get you into one early.
    05-30-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD