01-15-11 04:44 AM
28 12
tools
    Apparently, I'm stuck with a $300 phone for a month since I ported my number to another carrier the day after my new billing cycle started. That also means they will charge me the bill for that month as well. I was told otherwise by a rep before I ported my number.

So great, I can't even sell my phone now until the 25th of this month while my supposed to be disconnected line is frozen in their systems until the 25th. Screw you Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 10:41 AM
    Apparently, I'm stuck with a $300 phone for a month since I ported my number to another carrier the day after my new billing cycle started. That also means they will charge me the bill for that month as well. I was told otherwise by a rep before I ported my number.

So great, I can't even sell my phone now until the 25th of this month while my supposed to be disconnected line is frozen in their systems until the 25th. Screw you Verizon.

do you have the name of the rep? if you do, take it to management and tell them who told you what. because it isn't your fault you were given bad information. in my experience (even though I'm a tmobile user), they will try to correct it by waiving any extra charges. that is, if verizon decides to provide good customer service!

good luck!
    techman4112 likes this.
    01-06-11 10:50 AM
    The rep never gave me his name

They said the only way I could cancel the line completely to have someone else use the phone was to pay the bill for this month ($96). Why should I do that when the line has only been active (without my notice) for a week? Verizon just loves to milk money out of their customers. I'm glad I have service with other carriers in my state.

01-06-11 11:18 AM
    You think there's anyway I can get out of paying them $96 for this month. My new cycle started around Christmas and I haven't even used the phone since I sold it then. This sucks :/
    01-06-11 11:41 AM
    This is one reason why I always keep a garbage flip phone around. If I want to cancel a line or port a number and sell my phone I activate the garbage phone on that line and that releases the phone I want to sell immediately and there is no need to wait. You just have to swap the ESN before you start the port process or cancel the line. I think it still works this way.

As for your bill issue. I am sure that even if you did have to pay for the month you would be reimbursed for the time after your phone was canceled. I don't know how that works though.
    01-06-11 11:47 AM
    This is one reason why I always keep a garbage flip phone around. If I want to cancel a line or port a number and sell my phone I activate the garbage phone on that line and that releases the phone I want to sell immediately and there is no need to wait. You just have to swap the ESN before you start the port process or cancel the line. I think it still works this way.

As for your bill issue. I am sure that even if you did have to pay for the month you would be reimbursed for the time after your phone was canceled. I don't know how that works though.
    another rep I spoke to said if I pay the bill for this month then my service with them will cancel completely. Here's the thing though. I paid a $400 deposit when I joined Verizon. Can they just take the money out of the deposit + the ETF and just mail me whatever is left?

01-06-11 11:57 AM
    I wish I could help you but I don't know. I don't know any reps I could ask either. You could always call VZW again and ask them if that is possible. It would make sense but with company policies on refunds and such it may not be possible. You can even ask them if it is possible to swap that ESN now so that who ever bought you phone can have it activated. I know Best Buy gave me a "dummy" ESN for a line I have that I didn't want to cancel but use for a rolling upgrade. Maybe they can even do that for you?

Hopefully one of the VZW reps that post here can give you some actual answers and good luck to you. It shouldn't be this complicated to cancel a line of service but if you are patient I am sure it will all work out.
    techman4112 likes this.
    01-06-11 12:05 PM

^^^^^Great idea.^^^^^
    If you activate a different phone on your line then your X wouldn't be in hold up. But this is a classic case of "you don't read what you sign."

Can I Take My Wireless Phone Number to Another Carrier?

You may be able to take, or "port," your wireless phone number to another carrier. If you port a number from us, we'll treat it as though you asked us to cancel your Service for that number. After the porting is completed, you won't be able to use our service for that number, but you'll remain responsible for all fees and charges through the end of that billing cycle, just like any other cancellation.If you're a Prepaid customer, you won't be entitled to a refund of any balance on your account. If you port a number to us, please be aware that we may not be able to provide some services right away, such as 911 location services. You don't have any rights to your wireless phone number, except for any right you may have to port it.
    01-06-11 12:30 PM
    ^^^^^Great idea.^^^^^
    If you activate a different phone on your line then your X wouldn't be in hold up. But this is a classic case of "you don't read what you sign."
    Yeah they already told me about it being on the terms of service. But the ***** rep I spoke to that day told me that my account would be disconnected and the ETF will be deducted from my security deposit once I port my number over to Tmobile. Obviously that didn't happen so it's hid fault for giving me false information.

I just called again and the rep I spoke to said that even if I paid the bill for this cycle today the line would still remain active until the end of the cycle yet the rep I spoke to earlier said as soon as I paid the bill the ETF would go into affect and I would be mailed whatever is left.

So yeah these reps are giving me false info and because of that I'm stuck with a $300 brick until my line is canceled. Maybe I should speak with a supervisor because these reps suck.

01-06-11 01:04 PM
    Screw you Verizon.

Enjoy your new carrier!
    01-06-11 01:07 PM
    Yeah they already told me about it being on the terms of service. But the ***** rep I spoke to that day told me that my account would be disconnected and the ETF will be deducted from my security deposit once I port my number over to Tmobile. Obviously that didn't happen so it's hid fault for giving me false information.

I just called again and the rep I spoke to said that even if I paid the bill for this cycle today the line would still remain active until the end of the cycle yet the rep I spoke to earlier said as soon as I paid the bill the ETF would go into affect and I would be mailed whatever is left.

So yeah these reps are giving me false info and because of that I'm stuck with a $300 brick until my line is canceled. Maybe I should speak with a supervisor because these reps suck.

Your best bet is to activate another phone to the line. You can talk to a supervisor, but since it is part of the cancellation process, they may tell you the same thing.
    01-06-11 01:10 PM
    Enjoy your new carrier!
    Faster data and great coverage in my city. Since I only travel once a year I can't complain.

01-06-11 01:11 PM
    Your best bet is to activate another phone to the line. You can talk to a supervisor, but since it is part of the cancellation process, they may tell you the same thing.
    I don't have another Verizon phone. Maybe I should go buy a flip phone from walmart or somethin.

01-06-11 01:12 PM
    I don't have another Verizon phone. Maybe I should go buy a flip phone from walmart or somethin.

You can not activate a prepaid phone on your line until it has been active for 6 months with prepay service.
    01-06-11 01:20 PM
    Faster data and great coverage in my city. Since I only travel once a year I can't complain.

Your city must be Mayberry.
    01-06-11 01:20 PM
    You can not activate a prepaid phone on your line until it has been active for 6 months with prepay service.
    Forgot about that. I officially hate CDMA technology.

01-06-11 01:22 PM
    Hmm Verizon said I could still sell the phone but the buyer would need to perform an ESN swap. Not sure if I wanna make the buyer go through all that.

01-06-11 01:25 PM
    Ask them to activate a dummy ESN on your line. It can be done, even if they tell you it doesn't. Tell them to look up "Dummy ESN" in Infomanager if you have to. They may freak if you tell them this...lol....but trust me they can, I have 2 dummy ESN's on my account right now for my extra phone lines when I became to impatient for an upgrade.
    techman4112 likes this.
    01-06-11 01:34 PM
    Ask them to activate a dummy ESN on your line. It can be done, even if they tell you it doesn't. Tell them to look up "Dummy ESN" in Infomanager if you have to. They may freak if you tell them this...lol....but trust me they can, I have 2 dummy ESN's on my account right now for my extra phone lines when I became to impatient for an upgrade.
    So they can activate a dummy ESN on my line and if I sell it the buyer can use the phone without any trouble? That would be sweet. I don't mind waiting till the end of the month to receive what's left of my deposit but I wanna sell this phone now while the resale value is high before all these new Android phones get announced.

01-06-11 01:40 PM
    So they can activate a dummy ESN on my line and if I sell it the buyer can use the phone without any trouble? That would be sweet. I don't mind waiting till the end of the month to receive what's left of my deposit but I wanna sell this phone now while the resale value is high before all these new Android phones get announced.

Yes...DO EET!
    01-06-11 02:00 PM
    The rep I just talked to said she tried it but it didn't work since my line is disconnected/frozen till the end of the month.

Maybe I should keep trying? I know there are people who can let this phone activate for others to use. They have the technology I'm sure of it.

01-06-11 02:14 PM
    The rep I just talked to said she tried it but it didn't work since my line is disconnected/frozen till the end of the month.

Maybe I should keep trying? I know there are people who can let this phone activate for others to use. They have the technology I'm sure of it.

Your line is temporarily suspended until the end of the billing cycle. It has a pending order to then officially disconnect the last day of the billing cycle. You would pretty much have to ask the rep to cancel the pending disconnect and process an on demand disconnect, which they will probably have to have a supervisor do. I've had it happen before, but most reps don't know the way to process it immediately without it happening at the end of the billing cycle. Also, if you get them to do this, it will refund you back whatever days you have left in the billing cycle from that day. If you do this, you can avoid the dummy ESN stuff, as your line will be completely disconnected immediately in the system. Tell the rep to use the reason code "maintenance" and it should allow them to change the disconnect effective date to today. Good luck.

EDIT: Even though it doesn't affect the rep too much anymore as far as their "stats", they might be reluctant to eat your disconnect, so you might still have them ask the supervisor to do it for them so it doesn't count against them, but hopefully they should be smart enough to know it doesn't matter much anymore for their personal stats.
    techman4112 likes this.
    01-08-11 06:07 PM
    Your city must be Mayberry.
    Hey I do live in Mayberry and Verizon coverage is bad here!!! You are roaming on Sprint towers here.

Last edited by tarheeldiver; 01-08-11 at 06:30 PM.
    01-08-11 06:28 PM
    Your line is temporarily suspended until the end of the billing cycle. It has a pending order to then officially disconnect the last day of the billing cycle. You would pretty much have to ask the rep to cancel the pending disconnect and process an on demand disconnect, which they will probably have to have a supervisor do. I've had it happen before, but most reps don't know the way to process it immediately without it happening at the end of the billing cycle. Also, if you get them to do this, it will refund you back whatever days you have left in the billing cycle from that day. If you do this, you can avoid the dummy ESN stuff, as your line will be completely disconnected immediately in the system. Tell the rep to use the reason code "maintenance" and it should allow them to change the disconnect effective date to today. Good luck.

EDIT: Even though it doesn't affect the rep too much anymore as far as their "stats", they might be reluctant to eat your disconnect, so you might still have them ask the supervisor to do it for them so it doesn't count against them, but hopefully they should be smart enough to know it doesn't matter much anymore for their personal stats.
    Just tried this and it looks like it might work but the rep said I'll still have to pay the bill for this cycle even if I didn't use the phone :/

But since it's Sunday, according to the rep, she'll have a supervisor call me tomorrow (I'll call back just in case).

So looks like I'll be able to disconnect the line early but the rep says I'll still be charged for this cycle. Hopefully the supervisor will let me off the hook so I dont have to pay for a month's bill I haven't even used.

01-09-11 04:37 PM
    Good luck - all disconnects are done at the end of the bill cycle. If they do an on demand disconnect you can't port. If you want to port, it happens at the end of the cycle. So you can either do an on demand disconnect and lose your number or vice versa.

They will auto apply your security deposit to your balance and mail you the difference.
    01-10-11 01:36 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD