06-23-09 01:25 PM
42 12
tools
    You know I came across a situation in which to get two pearls for two regular verizon phones so they would not have to pay for the data plan. I have two storms now that I have the data plan...bc me and my wife need them. I was going to get the pearls, but verizon wont let me add them wo the friggen data plan! SCREW VERIZON.

They say they are not happy unless we are happy. Horse Crap. Horse Crap. Horse Crap.

You would think since I have two blackberrys with data plans that I could have the other two without. They want to charge me 120.00 bucks for data for four phones.

You know I have been with every other carrier, T Mobile, US Cellular, ATT even SunCom. And that was not a requirement.
    Thanks a lot big red. Thanks a lot. As far as them being the largest 3G carrier....not once has my storm flew on the internet like my other blackberrys from ATT! 3G my arse. Going to the planet next
    Last edited by CARTEEUSMC; 06-22-09 at 09:08 PM.
    06-22-09 09:03 PM
    If you happen to read this site often this been discussed over and over and over again. Please be an informed customer and take the time to do some research on what you are getting. This is not a secret that vzw hides or a loophole they exploit. Every blackberry on vzw requires this plain and simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 09:19 PM
    This is a Verizon rule that is known by many, there is no way to get by it. Why in the world would you want a BB with no data plan, doesn't make any sense. And if its really that bad switch to a different carrier. It's not Verizon's fault.
    06-22-09 09:22 PM
    It isnt just on berries anymore either, Effective november 21 2008, all PDAs/smartphones require the data plan. Do you have a corp. discount? that could help reduce the cost of the data plan...
    06-22-09 09:24 PM
    This is getting old.
    06-22-09 09:28 PM
    Do not have a corporate plan. Why do I want blackberry without the data plan. Simple...My neice doesnt need corporate email but she sends like 300 texts a day. (then i know get her a texting phone, why should I?) I love my blackberrys and had one on every carrier I have ever had) I am you know kinda of partial to blackberrys! There is no reason for it. If a customer already has two with data plans why would they gouge you for the third line. And you know they can block the data on the old VX6600 and 6700, why not these pearls. They are out of date just like the pocket pcs. (you know verizon doesn't sell them anymore)
    Last edited by CARTEEUSMC; 06-22-09 at 09:43 PM.
    06-22-09 09:31 PM
    I'm sorry this is getting old. Maybe Verizon would listen to someone, or a group on crackberry!<-----(I am laughing at that one)
    06-22-09 09:34 PM
    Do not have a corporate plan. Why do I want blackberry without the data plan. Simple...My neice doesnt need corporate email but she sends like 300 texts a day. (then i know get her a texting phone, why should I?) I love my blackberrys and had one on every carrier I have ever had) I am you know kinda of partial to blackberrys! There is no reason for it. If a customer already has two with data plans why would they gouge you for the third line. And you know they can block the data on the old VX6600 and 6700, why not these pearls. They are out of date just like the pearls! (you know verizon doesn't sell them anymore)
    Here is my belief, dunno if it is true or not. When it was not required for non BBs (has always been on bb's since i have been w. the company) we got a ton of customers coming in with huge bills because of using the data, then we would have to credit. Just was annoying, so the simple solution is to make everyone get it, or not get the phone...
    06-22-09 09:34 PM
    Verizon has never allowed any blackberry to be activated on their system with out the data. Could be worse we could still have to pay 44.99 for data instead of the 29.99

06-22-09 09:39 PM
    You could be right about the 44.99. The sad this is I paid to get out of T Mobile contract to come over to Verizon, and just do not see a justification for this. Never will. Stubborn ole jarhead!
    06-22-09 09:41 PM
    Well first of all.. Thank you for your service to the country.

Second of all sir, the reason for data plan requirement is because of the constant connection between our towers and your phone which incurs kb usage -- even when you sleep.
    06-22-09 09:47 PM
    You could be right about the 44.99. The sad this is I paid to get out of T Mobile contract to come over to Verizon, and just do not see a justification for this. Never will. Stubborn ole jarhead!
    I actually had a conversation with my uncle about this and he had a good justification..... I doubt you will consider it one but figure i will share...

It is good to get kids used to be constantly connected with their email and such at a young age so they are used to having it. That way, when they apply for a job and there is an email sent out to them and the other 50 applicants, and they are the first to respond, it leaves a very good first impression, on how ontop of everything that individual is.

So there is one possible justification
    06-22-09 09:47 PM
    From what I understand, most of the money you pay for the data plan goes to RIM, therefore, you get a HUGE discount on the phones because they're making money off of you every month, but if this is the case, I've wondered why you can't buy the BB at full retail and opt out of data? Few people would do it, but then they could use this reasoning to explain why if you get the discount you HAVE to pay for data. Of course, this is just what I've heard, I could be totally wrong!? Anybody wanna chime in?

06-22-09 09:51 PM
    Ok the justification for constant connection. I get it. Good Answer, the only one I have gotten from anyone.....THANK YOU !!! Cant they turn it off like they can with the old pocket pcs?----namely VX6600 and VX6700. I asked them about those two phones specifically and they can turn the data off! So turn the bloody data off for the pearls.
    06-22-09 09:57 PM
    Ok the justification for constant connection. I get it. Good Answer, the only one I have gotten from anyone.....THANK YOU !!! Cant they turn it off like they can with the old pocket pcs?----namely VX6600 and VX6700. I asked them about those two phones specifically and they can turn the data off! So turn the bloody data off for the pearls.
    yeah they can on the older ones, not on the newer ones. Trying to think of a better justification for them requiring it on berries, but since ATT doesnt require it its throwing me for a spin...
    06-22-09 10:00 PM
    Just get them ENV 2 or 3 problem solved
    06-22-09 10:01 PM
    or the touch, i like that one...
    06-22-09 10:01 PM
    blackberries work off of mobile IP and maintain a constant data connection to the data network. that's why carriers require a data plan. if you don't have a data plan you're using airtime the entire time your device is powered on. i've seen way to many people calling in whining about their thousand dollar overages because they didn't have a data plan
    06-22-09 10:03 PM
    T-Mobile also requires a BB Plan if you use a BlackBerry on their network.

There are plenty of phones with qwerty keyboards on which your niece can crank out texts. And if the price of the phone is more than the Pearl or the Curve, just wait 2 or 3 months ... saving $30 each time will add up.
    06-22-09 10:04 PM
    And I will not disagree about being largest network and all of that...was just saying when I was in a 3g area with ATT in bloomington, IL and Louisville, KY my blackberrys would fly. Not had that with Verizon. And its not day that goes by in which I see the screen (Currently you are not in an area that can handle Internet.....) And no I am not in a bunker waiting for the Koreans to invade....
    you can turn the data off on the phone yourself. I have done so when out of the country for that just in case.

also another option (I think) is just getting the $10/month data plan...it is limited to only a few mb's i think. i don't remember the details, but that would be a cheaper option if you really want to go the blackberry route. Get the cheap..cheap data plan and then just turn the data off on the phone. It becomes a discipline issue then for your niece, but nothing wrong with learning that...good luck.
    And maybe things have changed. I worked for ATT, T Mobile and Sprint back in 2007. ATT no. T Mobile heck no....was giving away pearls on Flex pay plans without data packages attacked and the last time I was on US Cellular it did not require it. So maybe I am outdated on the plans of other carriers.....but my last carrier was T Mobile, which i had a red, 2 black, and one white Pearl in which two only had data plans. And I was with them in Febuary of this year!
    Last edited by CARTEEUSMC; 06-22-09 at 10:11 PM.
    06-22-09 10:07 PM
    you can turn the data off on the phone yourself. I have done so when out of the country for that just in case.

also another option (I think) is just getting the $10/month data plan...it is limited to only a few mb's i think. i don't remember the details, but that would be a cheaper option if you really want to go the blackberry route. Get the cheap..cheap data plan and then just turn the data off on the phone. It becomes a discipline issue then for your niece, but nothing wrong with learning that...good luck.
    few things here.... you cannot up and turn off the data and not pay for it on a berry....

Also, there used to be a plan for $25 for 10 MB of data, but they did away with that
    06-22-09 10:08 PM
    thanks BigJB that is another solution. Thank You, too. This is why I love crackberry. I can always get ideas!
    06-22-09 10:09 PM
    thanks BigJB that is another solution. Thank You, too. This is why I love crackberry. I can always get ideas!
    Sorry to excite... yes CB is great for good ideas, but only if they are correct
    06-22-09 10:10 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD