09-10-09 04:46 PM
64 123
tools
    Just so ou guys know the samsung rogue has made its way to the vzw stores here in illinois and iowa...not for sale yet but they have working demos...the phone will be released september eighth for 200 with 100 mail in rebate. The phone does support youtube fb myspace twitter etc all are done thru the browser...the phone runs and looks great...check it out!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 02:19 PM
    Dont forget with the Samsung Rogue and all new VZW Multimedia Enhanced Devices you need to have a minimum data plan of $9.99 added (kinda like PDA's) unless you have a Connect Plan or Premium Plan then you're set.
    09-02-09 02:33 PM
    Right I'd rather do that and get my 19 percent off than pay 25 that I'm payin now...

09-02-09 04:46 PM
    to get a data discount u have to have a data pack of 24.99 or higher, so u wouldn't get a discount on 9.99
    09-02-09 05:29 PM
    That phone has the ability to yank more than a few people away from smartphones.

TouchWiz2 UI, downloadable apps, a better-than-BlackBerry browser - and with the data requirement, you won't see too many 10-year-olds with your phone.

Can it do everything some smartphones can? Not quite, but for the monthly plan savings, a lot of people won't care. Savings of upwards of $20/mo per phone will buy a lot of apps.

09-02-09 05:39 PM
    to get a data discount u have to have a data pack of 24.99 or higher, so u wouldn't get a discount on 9.99
    i was told that if i got the calling plan that had the data built in, i could apply the discount to it that way...

i am aware you cant discount a 15 dollar a month data plan...but you can discount a calling plan that has mobile web in it which would save me money....

the browser on this phone is better than the one on my 8830WE....

sure no PIN messaging on a Rogue but I deleted bb messenger anyways...
    09-02-09 05:45 PM
    i was told that if i got the calling plan that had the data built in, i could apply the discount to it that way...
    That is true - you'd simply need the Connect or Premium plan.

09-02-09 05:47 PM
    Awesome. I was impressed with the quality of the camera on this phone too. Its almost comparable to my older kodak 5MP easyshare camera that I use when bar hopping...

Add in a 3.5mm headset jack...

The interface on the phone was great. I mean honestly to me, the speed of this phone out performs an HTC touch pro easily...the display was crisp too...

Not a huge fan of the pattern on the rear of the phone but who cares?

This lady said they always get phone demos in before the phone is actually released...I wonder why this store didnt have a tour before the tour was released?

But seriously...I left the store in a good mood which overshadowed the fact that their Blackberry Tour on display was crap...laggy trackball, screen ripple, and loose battery door...they are basically telling their customers "what you see is what you get!" haha...
    09-02-09 05:53 PM
    Yeah theres a wide array of these "Multimedia" phones coming out and here is a list of some of the perks.

- A premium HTML Browser including the ability to open Multiple Tabbed windows.

- Supports Flash for video streaming on sites like YouTube.

- Rev A Speeds

- VCast Video On Demand with FULL Popular TV Shows from the major networks. (Phasing out FloTV like on the Voyager).

So I can see a few of the PDA users that have them because of the Internet feature and don't necessarily use them for work ditching their $29 data plan and getting one of these... Heck I'm jealous that my Tour Doesnt have Vcast Video on Demand I'd love to watch my TV Shows while I'm waiting or on my lunch break... The Storm just got them so I guess the Tour may down the road.
    09-03-09 08:56 AM
    That phone has the ability to yank more than a few people away from smartphones..........Can it do everything some smartphones can? Not quite, but for the monthly plan savings, a lot of people won't care. Savings of upwards of $20/mo per phone will buy a lot of apps.

Sure, $10 is cheaper than $30. But let's not forget, this may only be a value proposition for someone that is not a heavy, or even moderate data user. $10 gets you ....what......25mb or something insanely low. A lot of people who switch from a smartphone, or consider one but then get this, are going to switch back after they see their first few bills.
    09-03-09 11:34 AM
    Because they're not supposed to show you an unreleased phone. That's what a VZW rep told me.

09-03-09 11:38 AM
    Because they're not supposed to show you an unreleased phone. That's what a VZW rep told me.

HuH?? Where did that come from?
    09-03-09 12:50 PM
    I believe that is left field...
    09-03-09 01:00 PM
    Sure, $10 is cheaper than $30. But let's not forget, this may only be a value proposition for someone that is not a heavy, or even moderate data user. $10 gets you ....what......25mb or something insanely low. A lot of people who switch from a smartphone, or consider one but then get this, are going to switch back after they see their first few bills.
    The way data is compressed on these devices, you will be hard pressed to knock down an adjusted 25MB on these things.

I had an AT&T engineer once tell me the average BlackBerry user on their network pulled only 20-30MB - iPhone & WM phones are much more active. In testing the enV Touch a few months back, I'd say the vast majority of users would be happy with it

However, I know it will be possible to go over, much like not all BlackBerry users are "avaerage." For those people, there are always Connect & Premium plans. With these plans & their included features, I challenge anyone to come close to the feature package/price.

Premium is $40 over a basic plan - includes unlimited messaging, Web, email, vCast, VZNav. By the time you do BlackBerry with unlimited messaging, you're already at $50 over the basic plan, VZNav is still extra & full vCast isn't there.

No matter how you slice it, the vast majority of folks can do it for a lot less $$$

09-03-09 01:34 PM
    ........However, I know it will be possible to go over, much like not all BlackBerry users are "avaerage." For those people, there are always Connect & Premium plans. With these plans & their included features, I challenge anyone to come close to the feature package/price.

Premium is $40 over a basic plan - includes unlimited messaging, Web, email, vCast, VZNav. By the time you do BlackBerry with unlimited messaging, you're already at $50 over the basic plan, VZNav is still extra & full vCast isn't there. .......
    You make good points. And I agree.

Question....I am confused by your first paragraph above. A blackberry can be on a "select" plan also. So let's say I have a Nationwide Select Family share. It's the unlimited txt stuff for all lines. But since I would have the blackberry and paying the blackberry data plan ($29) on top of it, my blackberry has "unlimited" data and is not subject to the $1.99/mb, right? Only the "dumb" phones on my FS plan would be subject to that. Right?
    09-03-09 02:06 PM
    25mb limit??? I have never even heard of that...so what's the cost for unlimited?

Last month alone I used over 250...but since I won't have slacker radio that would cut a lot of that out...

What kind of streaming radio options would I have with a rogue or similar device?

09-03-09 03:16 PM
    You make good points. And I agree.

Question....I am confused by your first paragraph above. A blackberry can be on a "select" plan also. So let's say I have a Nationwide Select Family share. It's the unlimited txt stuff for all lines. But since I would have the blackberry and paying the blackberry data plan ($29) on top of it, my blackberry has "unlimited" data and is not subject to the $1.99/mb, right? Only the "dumb" phones on my FS plan would be subject to that. Right?
    You are correct about the unlimited data portion.

BlackBerrys can have the Select plan, but there are a few things to consider before getting that, especially if you're on a family plan - VZW reps, feel free to correct me on these points if I have any wrong...

1) Select plans are $20 more than Basic plans per line. The only difference between Select & Basic is Select includes the top tier of messaging allowance.

2) The top tier of messaging is a $20 addition to the Basic plan per line.

3) The Select plan is discountable under employee discount plans, while separate messaging may not be (depending on employer agreements).

4) For one line in a Family Share to have Select, all lines must have Select, which increases costs on lines where you might not need a large bucket of texts.

Here is my conclusion - unless any employer discounts give you enough of a break to cover all lines having the highest texting allowance -OR- all your Family Share lines need a huge amount of texting, you're better off getting Basic & adding the needed texting plan per line.

VZW reps - did I miss anything?

09-03-09 03:34 PM
    with the old vpak that will be phased out...didnt that plan have unlimited megabytes??
    09-03-09 06:09 PM
    I hadn't heard of this phone until I read about it here so I Googled it and did a couple of quick review reads on it. If this device does it for some people I guess that's great, but I didn't see anything impressive. Especially the screen; the device measures 4.29" x 2.17" (or very close to it) but only a 3.1" screen.

Seems like one of those phones made for the middle school and high school crowd.

Pass.
    09-03-09 07:05 PM
    25mb limit??? I have never even heard of that...so what's the cost for unlimited?

Last month alone I used over 250...but since I won't have slacker radio that would cut a lot of that out...

What kind of streaming radio options would I have with a rogue or similar device?

Keep in mind that data doesn't rack up nearly as fast on dumbphones as it does at on BB's.
    09-03-09 07:21 PM

250 MB a month? dude, use your phone more! I have used 89MB since yesterday
    09-03-09 08:49 PM
    i have no idea how much i used, i just know it was more than 10 times 25mb...when i check my bill next i will see what i use...
    09-03-09 09:49 PM
    You are correct about the unlimited data portion.

BlackBerrys can have the Select plan, but there are a few things to consider before getting that, especially if you're on a family plan - VZW reps, feel free to correct me on these points if I have any wrong...

1) Select plans are $20 more than Basic plans per line. The only difference between Select & Basic is Select includes the top tier of messaging allowance.

2) The top tier of messaging is a $20 addition to the Basic plan per line.

3) The Select plan is discountable under employee discount plans, while separate messaging may not be (depending on employer agreements).

4) For one line in a Family Share to have Select, all lines must have Select, which increases costs on lines where you might not need a large bucket of texts.

Here is my conclusion - unless any employer discounts give you enough of a break to cover all lines having the highest texting allowance -OR- all your Family Share lines need a huge amount of texting, you're better off getting Basic & adding the needed texting plan per line.

VZW reps - did I miss anything?

You are correct. Here's what we are going to do.

I confirmed with VZW that I can upgrade to a BB and we can add a line for my daughter to our NW loyalty plan. We'll add just the $5/250 texting to just my daughter's line. I also confirmed that I can log onto my account to block texting. So if she hits her limit, we can block it so that she doesn't go over due to other people texting her.

Then, over time, if we think we need to upgrade, we can. But because we are on NW loyalty which is 550 minutes, the jump to select would be big for us.....we would go from a base of $70 for the three lines to $110 on the 700 FS select. So it behooves us to first see if the added line works in our current plan structure. The kids seem to text more than use the phone so we should be good on minutes. If my daughter needs more texting, we can push up $5 more to the $10/500/unlim m2m texting.

And my daughter know's she can text to our emails which lets my wife and I get messages without a dual hit to the overall plan.
    09-03-09 09:53 PM
    You are correct. Here's what we are going to do.

I confirmed with VZW that I can upgrade to a BB and we can add a line for my daughter to our NW loyalty plan. We'll add just the $5/250 texting to just my daughter's line. I also confirmed that I can log onto my account to block texting. So if she hits her limit, we can block it so that she doesn't go over due to other people texting her.

Then, over time, if we think we need to upgrade, we can. But because we are on NW loyalty which is 550 minutes, the jump to select would be big for us.....we would go from a base of $70 for the three lines to $110 on the 700 FS select. So it behooves us to first see if the added line works in our current plan structure. The kids seem to text more than use the phone so we should be good on minutes. If my daughter needs more texting, we can push up $5 more to the $10/500/unlim m2m texting.

And my daughter know's she can text to our emails which lets my wife and I get messages without a dual hit to the overall plan.
    if your daughter texts much at all, that 250 plan will be NOWHERE close to enough...between my post about data usage and this I am gonna really open myself up to people to know I have a serious phone problem, but I would go through that in 2 DAYS
    09-03-09 09:59 PM
    Well, that may be the case, and if we have to in any given month, we can block it. Who knows. At first, every couple of days, I'll check the usage.
    09-04-09 06:56 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD