11-24-09 09:43 PM
31 12
tools
    I'm at the end of my rope! I was under the impression from the reading I've been doing on Crackberry that I could use my upgrade (on Oct 28th, conveniently enough) to upgrade to a VZ phone but extend the terms and conditions of my Alltel contract. However, the CSRs at the store have told me repeatedly that you cannot. I even called *611 to talk to someone at customer service and was told the same-- I will need to switch to a VZ plan to get a new phone. (Just as an aside, the same phone rep also told me today that the Storm 2 would be released "sometime before Christmas"! LOL!). Anyway, I really don't want to pull all three of my lines to VZ right now and I don't want to maintain one line on a seperate acct from the others. I know I've read posts from others here that have been able to keep their Alltel contracts and get a VZ phone. Is that a bunch of BS or are the VZ reps feeding me BS? I just need to truth so I can make a decision!

Thanks in advance!
    10-26-09 08:21 PM
    New subsidized VZW phone requires a new VZW contract, which requires a VZW plan. You can get a new phone at full price & keep your Alltel plan, but you cannot sign a new Alltel contract.
    10-26-09 08:24 PM
    Okie-dokie then. I guess I'm buying three new phones soon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 08:43 PM
    What I did was log in to the MyVerizon site. It will tell you when each line is eligible for a subsidized upgrade.

I had an Alltel 8330 on an Alltel SmartChoice plan.

I just got the Tour at the 2-year contract price and was able to keep my Alltel plan. My New Every 2 date was not until April 2010 and my contract date was August 2010.

One caveat is that I only have one phone on my account so I don't know how multiple lines would be affected. But I didn't have to change to a Verizon plan in my situation. YMMV
    10-26-09 08:44 PM
    those two reps were wrong. You can upgrade your line with a vzw device and stay on a alltel legacy plan.
    10-26-09 09:12 PM
    those two reps were wrong. You can upgrade your line with a vzw device and stay on a alltel legacy plan.
    How? Do I do it online like Motorcycle Mama posted? The reps in the store obviously aren't willing to help with that!
    10-26-09 09:35 PM
    See if you can talk to a store manager, if not some store have a store ambassador that is more knowledgeable about the alltel merger. If not you have have to call customer care until you get a rep that knows what they are doing.
    10-26-09 09:58 PM
    You can have a vzw device on a Alltel contract, but you CANNOT sign a new one
    10-27-09 07:19 AM
    I was under the impression from the reading I've been doing on Crackberry
    There's the problem.
    10-27-09 07:26 AM
    I just went thru this yesterday with Customer Service and my local store.

I am on an Alltel plan, with 2 lines that are eligible for upgrade, although my contract is good until 2/2011. Both the store and customer service said i could upgrade to the new storm. I get the NE2 discount of 50.00 and the 100.00 MIR which makes the 9550 cost me $129.00. I could also upgrade to the tour for 99.00 after discounts.

My service now is terrible at times and they claim conversion issues with my alltel phone. they say my issues will be gone once i upgrade to a verizon device. So before changing my plan and signing a new contract I am going to upgrade to a verizon device.
    Whoever you have been talking to is misinformed it seems.!
    10-27-09 11:09 AM
    You can definitely get new Verizon Wireless devices, at the subsidized pricing, and put them on your existing Alltel plan. The contract will be extended by two years, but you do NOT need to convert over to a Verizon plan...

Every rep is told to try to encourage you to switch to a Verizon plan, since the devices will work better with a Verizon plan, but by no means do you have to switch to a Verizon plan...
    10-27-09 01:35 PM
    You can definitely get new Verizon Wireless devices, at the subsidized pricing, and put them on your existing Alltel plan. The contract will be extended by two years, but you do NOT need to convert over to a Verizon plan...

Every rep is told to try to encourage you to switch to a Verizon plan, since the devices will work better with a Verizon plan, but by no means do you have to switch to a Verizon plan...
    So this is different from previous acquisitions & plan changes? If so, cool & my previous statement was wrong.

How long will these plans be allowed to continue?

10-27-09 02:40 PM
    All of the misinformation or lack of information is why AT&T is adding so many new subscribers. Stuff like this leaves a bad taste in a customers mouth. Also the reason there are so many threads on here with people trying to figure an ETF free way out of their alltel contract. I'm not trying to start a flame war here but the way verizon is handling their newly acquired customers is wrong in my opinion. I'm sure that some of you that own stock in vzw will disagree.

10-27-09 02:45 PM
    The plans will be ALLOWED to continue, although you will be strongly encouraged to switch to a VZW plan. VZW has to honor existing Alltel contracts as part of the merger deal.

Some new devices require VZW plans, so your choice in handsets may be limited, but you can keep your legacy Alltel plan at least for the duration of the contract.

If you're using a VZW device in an area with primarily Alltel towers and limited or no VZW coverage, you might have to request a Hybrid PRL in order for your VZW phone to work on the Alltel towers. Hybrid PRLs should now be automatic and seamless, but we all know how well things like this work all the time.
    10-27-09 02:47 PM

How is it possible that a Verizon device will work better on a Verizon plan.? I would have to raise the BS flag on that one..
    I could understand the Verizon device working better on a verizon tower\area, but i do not see how it is possible that the plan could make a difference. Somebody explain this to me, please.

Everyone also told me i did not have to extend my alltel contract, or make any changes to my plan to upgrade my device.

Seems like no matter who you talk to you, you get a different answer which is why i went to the store and called customer service yesterday just to make sure.
    10-27-09 03:00 PM
    Big.daddy: You are right. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. At this point I'm convinced that all CSRs are liars or mis-informed.

10-27-09 04:08 PM
    I am still on my Alltel Blackberry Plan which is way better and cheaper than the Verizon Blackberry plan. But I am using am using the Blackberry Storm 9530 that I bought from someone on Craigslist. I activated it over the phone with a VZW rep. and he said that as long as I keep a Blackberry Device I will keep my Alltel BB Plan until that contract is up, at that point I would have to resign a contract with VZW and will be switched to a VZW BB Plan.
    10-27-09 04:55 PM
    Bottom line is you can get a VZW branded phone at the 2 or 1 year contract price and keep your Alltel plan.

Reps. are on their own agenda as they are making nothing (no money) on the millions of Alltel customers that keep their Alltel plan and get a VZW phone at contract price.

To maybe answer Twinz question, my father was tied up in the AT&T buying of Sun-Com years and still has his Sun-Com plan. So I'm guessing we'll keep our Alltel plans until WE channge them.
    10-27-09 06:16 PM
    There are some situations in which you may need to move to a Nationwide Plan. For example, global PDA data. (We run into this while sending out loaner GSM phones to customers travelling to non-CDMA locations.) And in that case, you can drop the Nationwide plan and go back to the Alltel one.

So in many cases you can stay on the Alltel plan. There are a couple things that might require a switch, but not if you're gonna run out and buy a Storm. Now, if you wanna take that Storm out of the US, you'll either have to change or eat the roaming fees for browsing the web. (Which can get up to $20 a meg. Ouch.) Once again, you can go back after the fact.

The only thing I can say will give you trouble for sure is if you move to a Nationwide plan, and you're on some sort of familyshare, either the plan must be split into two plans, or all lines must move to VZW devices. (Real pain if a person wanting a global loaner is on a familyshare. D: Call in with this scenario and you'll have to wait awhile while we calculate all those lovely prorations out. LOL)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 10-27-09 at 07:59 PM.
    10-27-09 07:53 PM
    All I want to do is upgrade to a Storm 2 and not change my plan. I'm more than happy to continue to send Verizon my money every month.
    10-27-09 08:06 PM
    tlo07, you can do that. And also keep all your friends and family, I have 11 that i kept. Also keep your 7pm.
    10-27-09 08:57 PM
    So this is different from previous acquisitions & plan changes? If so, cool & my previous statement was wrong.

How long will these plans be allowed to continue?
    Unfortunately I'm not up on how other mergers have gone down, but I can say for certain that with this particular merger, you can keep your Alltel plan, even when signing a new contract and getting a Verizon device (there are a couple of exceptions with data only devices but as this is about smart phones its irrelevant)...

How is it possible that a Verizon device will work better on a Verizon plan.? I would have to raise the BS flag on that one..
    I could understand the Verizon device working better on a verizon tower\area, but i do not see how it is possible that the plan could make a difference. Somebody explain this to me, please.

Everyone also told me i did not have to extend my alltel contract, or make any changes to my plan to upgrade my device.

Seems like no matter who you talk to you, you get a different answer which is why i went to the store and called customer service yesterday just to make sure.
    Raising the BS flag?
    Let me explain. First off, if you're on an Alltel plan, with a Verizon device, some of the proprietary applications, such as Visual Voicemail, VZTones...etc, won't work. Sometimes other applications won't work either, so to cover everything, you might be told that while on an Alltel plan with Verizon device, there is no guarantee that everything is going to work properly.

On top of that, if you have a Verizon device with an Alltel number, not only do you have to have profiles set up in all the Alltel systems, such as the switch and AAA; but you need to have profiles in the Verizon systems as well.

Unfortunately, you really can't do anything about having an Alltel number if you came from Alltel, besides getting a new Verizon number, which would require a change in plan and device...

As for the second part of your post, if you ever want to upgrade your device, you're always going to need to extend your contract, with any carrier (and I know there are warranty exceptions and what not but I'm only talking about typical upgrades).

Some new devices require VZW plans, so your choice in handsets may be limited, but you can keep your legacy Alltel plan at least for the duration of the contract.
    I don't know of any devices - handsets at least -that require you to change to a Verizon plan....

I am still on my Alltel Blackberry Plan which is way better and cheaper than the Verizon Blackberry plan. But I am using am using the Blackberry Storm 9530 that I bought from someone on Craigslist. I activated it over the phone with a VZW rep. and he said that as long as I keep a Blackberry Device I will keep my Alltel BB Plan until that contract is up, at that point I would have to resign a contract with VZW and will be switched to a VZW BB Plan.
    By contract your actually required to keep the "BlackBerry Plan," by which I assume you mean one of the Smart Packs. Even if you switch to a dumb phone, you're going to stay on that Smart Pack; that is unless you change to a Verizon plan. But when your current contract is up, by no means do you have to switch to a Verizon plan, unless you want to. But in terms of price, it really depends on how many lines you have, how many of these lines are smart phones and how many minutes you need. Because as you add minutes and features, the Verizon plans become more cost effective...

Sometimes I feel like I could teach a class on this merger stuff...
    10-27-09 10:59 PM
    Yes! I got a good CSR on the phone that told me I could upgrade to a VZ phone and not change my Alltel features! I'm glad I have been reading around on this site or I would have just gone along with what the in-store reps said like a dummy. She did say that policy was new since the merger became complete on the 17th (or whatever day it was). Thank you to all the Crackberry peeps who helped out.

10-29-09 07:37 PM
    I was an Alltel customer..which I LOVED. was sad to see them go as Verizons plans are so much more expensive. I upgraded to my new Blackberry before the conversion to verizon. I have the much lower rate of Alltel plan and it will stay active until I decide to change my plan or phone, which I will find every way around having to switch to Verizon rate plans.
    10-31-09 06:16 PM
    just asking are you dpoing these upgrades before your NE2 is up? Or are you renewing your contract (with alltel) and just trying to do a new BB also?
    10-31-09 09:38 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD