Hi everyone,

I'm back in China for the first time since switching to VZW and wanted to know what is recommended for roaming. I have the phone set to Global, and am on 1X right now, but want to know if I might get better coverage with a GSM signal.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-11 11:45 AM
    Your best bet it unlock your 9650 and buy a local SIM card. Roaming in China has to be costing you a fortune. If money really doesn't matter try GSM..not going to hurt anything.
    10-14-11 11:09 PM
    Your best bet it unlock your 9650 and buy a local SIM card. Roaming in China has to be costing you a fortune. If money really doesn't matter try GSM..not going to hurt anything.
    I'm on an unlimited int'l data plan, so only voice usage really racks up bill, and I wouldn't want to be unreachable at my usual number, anyways.

I've switched it to GSM/UMTS a few times, but only get SOS coverage, and when I switch to manual network selection, nothing happens. When I'm on 1XEV, I'll often get dropped down to 1x, and I'll need to turn off the network connection, and then turn iut back on again to be back at 1X. When I was here last on a GSM carrier, I think I was on EDGE pretty much the whole time, which would be preferable if I could get it to work.

10-14-11 11:38 PM
    I'm on an unlimited int'l data plan, so only voice usage really racks up bill, and I wouldn't want to be unreachable at my usual number, anyways.

I've switched it to GSM/UMTS a few times, but only get SOS coverage, and when I switch to manual network selection, nothing happens. When I'm on 1XEV, I'll often get dropped down to 1x, and I'll need to turn off the network connection, and then turn iut back on again to be back at 1X. When I was here last on a GSM carrier, I think I was on EDGE pretty much the whole time, which would be preferable if I could get it to work.

If you're getting an SOS error, make sure that you SIM is activated with Verizon. You can call them to make sure by calling 00-1-908-559-4899, it's a free call.
    10-15-11 01:21 PM
    I think China has CDMA.
    10-15-11 01:29 PM
    I think China has CDMA.
    It has both.

10-15-11 02:33 PM
    If you're getting an SOS error, make sure that you SIM is activated with Verizon. You can call them to make sure by calling 00-1-908-559-4899, it's a free call.
    That's a good idea, and even though I've made no changes to my phone or plan since the last time I was over in a GSM-only country, I called to check and they have my SIM card down correctly.

Global support said I should be connecting to local GSM carriers when on UMTS/GSM mode and didn't know why it wasn't happening. If I were going to be staying for longer, I'd want a more permanent fix, but at least it seems that when I loose data coverage, I can quickly get it back by disconnecting and reconnecting. Still annoying, though.
    10-15-11 03:04 PM
    I had this problem the first time I went to Brazil. Since you know your SIM is activated, that rules that out.

Set it to GSM only, and then do a battery pull. Let it sit for about an hour afterwards and it should be good to go.

I assume it's possible you are in an area of China where they do not have a GSM roaming agreement as well, but probably highly unlikely.
    10-24-11 03:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD