I am really confused on the whole curve not being Rev. A upgradeable thing. Yes, I know what Rev. A is, but what do they mean when they say Rev. A upgradeable?

I noticed that the 8830 page on the VZW site doesn't say this... does this mean that the 8830 is upgradeable? As far as I was aware, none of the current BB models are Rev. A.

I'd appreciate if someone could please clarify this for me.
    08-11-08 09:35 PM
    Well, that's the weird thing. I can't say if RIM just doesn't want to do it or what, but look at it from my "technical" standpoint.

Both the 8830 and 8330 have the Qualcomm 7500 chipset in it that the XV6800 and XV6900 phones have in them. Those phones are upgradable to Rev.A with a firmware upgrade from the manufacturer, why wouldn't a BB be? It's the same radio chipset.
    08-11-08 10:33 PM
    Also the HTC Diamond said it would be Rev. A upgradeable, which seem pointless why not just make it Rev a right out of the box!
    08-11-08 10:35 PM
    If that's the case, knowing Verizon, they probably won't ever provide the firmware upgrade for any of the blackberry phones with the fear that it will cause more bandwidth usage. At least I'm not the only one that's stumped by this.

I also find it strange that they clearly indicate that the 8330 is not upgradeable, whereas they make no mention for the 8830 when both phones have the same chipset.

It doesn't matter for normal phone usage, but it does if you're like me and use it as a tethered modem.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-11-08 at 10:41 PM.
    08-11-08 10:39 PM
    why not just make it Rev a right out of the box!
    You've got me.
    08-11-08 10:44 PM
    The other thing to remember is that BB's are Proxy based when they browse because of the architecture design of the system. Because of this, they tend to use less bandwidth for the Internet usage... Rev.A speeds aren't really needed too much for that, unless you're downloading media or something. With SlingPlayer Mobile coming to it, that may change however. My guess... the new BBs will be Rev.A upgradable. It's more of a money thing really... why upgrade old handsets when you can sell a new one with the feature out of the box. Do you think a lot of BB users know the chipsets for the radio is the same throughout a lot of VZW's products? Half of them don't even know they have a 3G device in their hands. This is the #1 reason why VZW can charge for GPS usage... dumb users.
    08-12-08 12:34 AM
    Because of this, they tend to use less bandwidth for the Internet usage... Rev.A speeds aren't really needed too much for that, unless you're downloading media or something.
    Or tethering of course, which is the only reason I care at all which it supports.
    08-12-08 07:36 AM
    The blackberry 7250 was software upgraded to evdo from 1x.

Guess the "cool" thing to do around here is complain though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 09:33 AM
    The blackberry 7250 was software upgraded to evdo from 1x.

Guess the "cool" thing to do around here is complain though.

I heard it's even cooler to make condescending remarks while referencing old equipment.
    08-12-08 09:48 AM
    Only when it's 100% applicable to the discussion at hand.

You yourself said, "why upgrade old handsets when you can sell a new one." Fact is, Verizon does upgrade "old" handsets to newer standards and capabilities when possible.

08-12-08 01:18 PM
    So is it a fact that the 8330 and 8830 chipsets both support Rev. A with a firmware upgrade?

Verizon clearly indicates that there will be no upgrade for the Curve.. and yes, I believe them. I'll have to rely on someone coming up with a workaround for that. I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose any capabilities (other than gsm) by swapping my 8830 for an 8330, but it seems as though the 8830 won't be upgraded either.
    08-12-08 02:06 PM
    I said the first part because Verizon is notorious for doing isht like that. They don't upgrade anything. As a matter of fact, show me a current upgrade for the XV6800 or 6900 that enables Rev.A on it. You won't find it from Verizon, yet Sprint has already released one for the 6800. VZW blows for not being up to date on stuff. Just go into a store and speak with a tech about even the newest phone on the floor. The guy will be stupid as to it's technical capabilities. Case close. The lack of knowledge from VZW employees is astonishing!!!
    Again you are making sweeping statements that are flat out wrong.
    "Verizon doesn't upgrade anything"
    Already mentioned the 7250, Verizon was the first carrier to upgrade to BIS 2.0, has put out windows 6.1 for the i760, visual voicemail for the Voyager, aku 3.3 for the xv6700 and probably others I can't name off the top of my head.

08-12-08 05:32 PM
    Again you are making sweeping statements that are flat out wrong.
    "Verizon doesn't upgrade anything"
    Already mentioned the 7250, Verizon was the first carrier to upgrade to BIS 2.0, has put out windows 6.1 for the i760, visual voicemail for the Voyager, aku 3.3 for the xv6700 and probably others I can't name off the top of my head.

Those are weak *** upgrades bro. I think you're in bed with Verizon too much. If they want to upgrade WinMo to 6.1, they need to do it for all handsets, not just pick and choose. Take a peek at what other CDMA carriers upgrade and change and you'll see Verizon drags their butts... mostly because all they want is more money from their subscribers, but don't like to give out any free candy.

Bottom line, Verizon would rather sell you a new device then upgrade an old one. If they had it their way, they wouldn't even release 4.5 for current Blackberries... they'd tell you that you needed a new 9530 to get those capabilities.
    08-12-08 08:10 PM
    Clearly you're going to believe what you want to believe regardless of the facts so I'll just let you to that.

08-12-08 10:41 PM
    What facts? The upgrades are very limited and the same upgrades can be applied to more then one handset because the smartphone chipsets CDMA uses are all from Qualcomm. Verizon's pick and choose upgrade path is purely driven by revenue and nothing else. It's not about giving it's customers better and faster handhelds.

What you're arguing above is no different then me telling you that by giving the homeless guy down the street a loaf of bread and water that I'm somehow curing world hunger. It's a pebble in the ocean... there are no measurable ripples in the grand scheme of things. That's my argument here.
    08-12-08 11:09 PM
    Where do you find the chipset models for these devices and where do you find the chipset model specifications? I looked everywhere I could think of to find the chipset model for the 8330 (including FCC's site). I also failed, for instance, in finding the specifications for the 7500 chip on Qualcomm's site.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-12-08 at 11:52 PM.
    08-12-08 11:39 PM
    I said the first part because Verizon is notorious for doing isht like that. They don't upgrade anything. As a matter of fact, show me a current upgrade for the XV6800 or 6900 that enables Rev.A on it. You won't find it from Verizon, yet Sprint has already released one for the 6800. VZW blows for not being up to date on stuff. Just go into a store and speak with a tech about even the newest phone on the floor. The guy will be stupid as to it's technical capabilities. Case close. The lack of knowledge from VZW employees is astonishing!!!

I am a Verizon Wireless employee, and I fall into the category of "lack of knowledge" that you say and I feel obligated to stand up for us. But I am here trying to learn, however, being in sales, 99% of the people buying phones don't give a crap about any of this technical stuff. You're abs right, someone selling a phone or repairing one should have the knowledge to handle any question thrown at them. However, the majority of customers want to know silly things, like the battery life and will they get better reception. That's it. Hence, VZW employees are not as inclined to learn all the technical aspects of the phones. Also, our backgrounds may not be as computer oriented or technical as yours. I am sure you have vast computer and technical knowledge outside of BB's which allows you to blend it all together giving you the title of Crackberry Genius.

I appreciate your knowledge and insight, but give us a break.

C

VZW employee
    08-13-08 10:24 PM
    I appreciate your knowledge and insight, but give us a break.
    Very well put viewpoint. I can see you're one to understand things. Please don't think that I expect a sales person to know everything there is about these devices (especially the technical aspects of it), but a tech who doesn't know what a BB looks like when there's no OS on it is NOT a tech that's worth a second look... Verizon should properly train their employees for such tasks.

The other thing is, I find it amusing in a way that you guys/gals on on here looking for knowledge. I actually appreciate you being on here because you'll add to your knowledge of things which Verizon WILL NOT disclose to you. For example the locking down of GPS on the BBs that your company sells.

I guess my frustration comes from the fact that the people I see and speak with at Verizon stores and on the phone are just... clueless as to the type of business you guys run. I think your overall aspect of sales and disclosure needs to change. Selling products with false info behind it not right and I wish more people would file lawsuits against companies that do business like this. I have no problem with you disabling features, but don't lie about it and make up stories. If you're that confident that you won't loose customers because of your actions, why hide the truth? Disclose everything and see where the chips fall. Don't make up some BS story about "customer security" as being a reason for you to disable the onboard GPS of your BBs. If that was the case, you would have also disabled the ability to use offboard GPS systems (i.e. Bluetooth pucks) for the same reasons. WTF, you think everyone is stupid or something?

Tell the truth, don't make shat up. If you answer the phone and tell me you can fix my BB issues, you better be able to, don't spend 30 minutes jerking me around and then transfer me to a person who fixes the issue in 30 secs. There's far too many Verizon employees who are there... just for the paycheck. You want to be in sales, know your product. If I want the same level of sales info that I can get by reading the product literature blurb on the wall above the phone I'll just read that. I also don't like overhearing conversations where a sales rep speaking with a client it giving out flat out wrong info and the client doesn't know any better, buys the wrong product/solution and then gets hosed with something that they can't properly use. It's just bad for business, but then who cares right... because the rep got his sale, the company got it's subscriber, and the poor little uninformed user has to come on here for proper help. Kind of ironic in a way really.

Either way, thanks for reading the forums and remember that the above is not directed at you... it's just a generalization of what is happening with your company.
    08-13-08 11:45 PM
    Very well put viewpoint. I can see you're one to understand things. Please don't think that I expect a sales person to know everything there is about these devices (especially the technical aspects of it), but a tech who doesn't know what a BB looks like when there's no OS on it is NOT a tech that's worth a second look... Verizon should properly train their employees for such tasks.

The other thing is, I find it amusing in a way that you guys/gals on on here looking for knowledge. I actually appreciate you being on here because you'll add to your knowledge of things which Verizon WILL NOT disclose to you. For example the locking down of GPS on the BBs that your company sells.

I guess my frustration comes from the fact that the people I see and speak with at Verizon stores and on the phone are just... clueless as to the type of business you guys run. I think your overall aspect of sales and disclosure needs to change. Selling products with false info behind it not right and I wish more people would file lawsuits against companies that do business like this. I have no problem with you disabling features, but don't lie about it and make up stories. If you're that confident that you won't loose customers because of your actions, why hide the truth? Disclose everything and see where the chips fall. Don't make up some BS story about "customer security" as being a reason for you to disable the onboard GPS of your BBs. If that was the case, you would have also disabled the ability to use offboard GPS systems (i.e. Bluetooth pucks) for the same reasons. WTF, you think everyone is stupid or something?

Tell the truth, don't make shat up. If you answer the phone and tell me you can fix my BB issues, you better be able to, don't spend 30 minutes jerking me around and then transfer me to a person who fixes the issue in 30 secs. There's far too many Verizon employees who are there... just for the paycheck. You want to be in sales, know your product. If I want the same level of sales info that I can get by reading the product literature blurb on the wall above the phone I'll just read that. I also don't like overhearing conversations where a sales rep speaking with a client it giving out flat out wrong info and the client doesn't know any better, buys the wrong product/solution and then gets hosed with something that they can't properly use. It's just bad for business, but then who cares right... because the rep got his sale, the company got it's subscriber, and the poor little uninformed user has to come on here for proper help. Kind of ironic in a way really.

Either way, thanks for reading the forums and remember that the above is not directed at you... it's just a generalization of what is happening with your company.
    lemme just clear one thing up. the techs that work for vzw arent vzw employees, they're contracted through another company to work on behalf of vzw. that being said, most are trained in the most basic of troubleshooting.

and like cmsith said, give us a break

Signed,

vzw employee
    08-14-08 01:31 AM

Yeah I know your frustration, believe me. I don't hit my sales quota because I sell with integrity and full disclosure. While the rep next to me will leave out this and that, and add this and that all to hit certain goals. And that makes me look bad as well as they set the bar and I am expected to perform to a level that was created by falsehoods and lies. I am sure this selling without integrity is not just a VZW thing. I can hear the Sprint/Nextel reps saying "we have coverage everywhere".

I am sure we are not the only company that cripples certain aspects of their phones (this is irrelevant to our convo, but do you remember the first Nextel phones that came out in 1997, the i370? Those phones could call the Coast Guard, but they disabled it for obvious reasons). And I don't know the technical aspect as to why we do it, but I do disclose that it's because we want custs to buy VZnavigator. That's pretty obvious and a little common sense will tell you why they don't allow certain things.

Incompetence is not just at a VZW store, it's everywhere. I've worked for years in the cel phone industry and we hire people to fill seats, regardless of intellect, knowledge and disposition.

Thanks to you and this forum for helping me become a better sales rep though. I do mean it. You guys are doing a great job.

C
    08-14-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD