11-13-09 01:18 PM
131 ... 3456
tools
    To be honest...

It seems like you're going through a lot of work to save a few extra bucks, and by doing this, you're crippling yourself...

I know in the end its all personal preference, but one of the main reasons of having a BlackBerry, or any other PDA/Smart Phone in the first place is so you can do things like send/receive emails, download attachments, and get information on the fly... While all this may be something you can still do paying for the data used... It just seems like a pain in the @ss having to monitor yourself whenever you use data.....

On top of that you're having to buy unbranded devices at full retail price, though depending on your financial situation isn't always an issue...

Again that's just me...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-25-09 at 05:16 AM.
    10-25-09 05:13 AM
    I don't really have a problem with people who want to use their BlackBerry without a data plan..

I just don't fully understand it.

The things that BlackBerrys do without their data is no different than most other phones....

So why not get a Qwerty dumb phone that does more...

Either way it really doesn't matter to me...

But as for with VZW... If you want a BlackBerry... Expect to have to pay more for data....
    hear hear

sorry I'm late.
    I completely am on the same page. Fine; you dont want to pay for data then WHY get a blackberry. There are plenty of regular "dumb"phones that have a calender, alarms, email, web, ect. But dont REQUIRE a plan... ( minus the Rogue )
    The most annoying thing that I hear are the calls where mom needs to troubleshoot her 11yr olds blackberry and then puts the 11yr old on the phone. Then mom gets back on the phone to complain about why she had to buy the data plan. REALLY!? But thats a side point and a whole other thread/rant.
    But here's the thing. Regarding the whole BES/BIS argument. YES, certainly if you see someone is paying 44.99 inquire on whether they need it. If you have the admin site up and you see that obviously they have their work email as an owa there.. duh!
    However, I've seen the opposite issue... with blackberries AND with PDA's mostly done by ccare ( sorry WB )
    Where the rep with GREAT intentions want to save the customer money... they dont research the included features of the plan and change it to the 29.99.
    In regards to the BB it means that the customers IT guy calls in wondering why the customers BES isnt working... Great! THAT I can support BES wize! haha! Regarding say Palms and Winmos its almost ALWAYS, "My wireless sync stopped working." FIRST thing I do is look at features and 99% of the time; a customer care rep dropped em from 44.99 to 29.99 and poof no more wireless sync.
    Depending on how long the customer let it go.. could be 1day to 1yr... you have to go in and re-establish the account, maybe go to admin and unsuspend and resend pw's and resync and this and that and the other.
    But thats winmo and palm.. *gak*
    We're talking Blackberry... sorry for my rant...

I'm just saying it goes both ways; and I can see the OP's point especially with wifi bb's on the Verizon horizon...( hey I made a rhyme! ) This is most likey why the GSM carriers didnt require a data plan for so long.. until iPhone came along with the Apple Nazi's requiring a plan and then whining about why the BBs and other SP's didnt require.. plus the whole not paying for what you use thing too.
    Okay I'm done now.
    10-25-09 08:44 AM
    hear hear

sorry I'm late.
    I completely am on the same page. Fine; you dont want to pay for data then WHY get a blackberry. There are plenty of regular "dumb"phones that have a calender, alarms, email, web, ect. But dont REQUIRE a plan... ( minus the Rogue )
    The most annoying thing that I hear are the calls where mom needs to troubleshoot her 11yr olds blackberry and then puts the 11yr old on the phone. Then mom gets back on the phone to complain about why she had to buy the data plan. REALLY!? But thats a side point and a whole other thread/rant.
    Because you are late and perhaps did not read through the whole lengthy thread, I will tell you why I want a BB instead of a full feature dumbphone. BB synchs easily with Outlook for contacts, calender, notes, and tasks and the BB has a more detailed interface for these than a dumbphone.

As for 11yr olds...If you are going to get your child a phone, then you should know EVERYTHING about that phone. Whether they are 9 like my daughter, 6 like many I have seen or 30 and still on your account. As the account holder it is your job to know what the phone is capable of and what it will cost you to have it on your account. And if there is a problem, you must be prepared to handle issues with it, as an 11yr old is not capable of making the proper decisions in regards to your account and their needs. The neo cortex of the brain which controls decision making is not fully develop until the age of 25 so they will always go with what they want an not what is needed. If you don't want to pay for data then you get them the phone YOU think they need. When they are old enough and can establish their own account, then they can go play IT Guy and have the latest device with all the bells and whistles.
    10-26-09 03:19 AM
    I doubt most parents have the time to learn EVERYTHING about the phone.

10-26-09 08:19 AM
    So about that data plan...
    10-26-09 08:24 AM
    Is there a reason a person who doesn't list using a BB, sits on a BB forum and bashes BBs all day long? As for all your bashes...I don't have any of those problems. Of course I also don't expect ANY pocket sized device to have the same capabilities as a computer, and since I only need my BB to fill the gap when I am not at home on my laptop, what it offers is perfect. Of course if I really want computer function on the go, I can take my laptop with me like I do when I go on long trips.

Not all of us are IT tech geeks in need of a device that completely mimics a computer in a handheld device.

Some of us just REALLY like what the BB has to offer, and there are millions of users that feel the same way.
    You are absolutely right on. What it does well, it does very very well. I had occasion to play with a Sprint TP2 for a full day. I had a blast with it. Couldn't get the wifi working but other than that. The screen is gorgeous, the keypad is great, the browser is nice. At the end of day, I gladly gave it back to it's rightful owner. It's too big, too bulky and the battery went down fairly fast.

I carry around my laptop when real horsepower is needed with tethering and wifi I'm never out of touch. I want to phone to be a phone first not a laptop replacement the size of Texas.
    10-26-09 10:42 AM
    TP2 is no larger than a Storm...

10-27-09 07:49 AM

Is that what a VZW rep told you? Cuz that's wrong too.
    10-27-09 06:11 PM
    Texas= large. TP2= not large.

10-27-09 06:42 PM
    Texas= large. TP2= not large.

TP2 = larger than the Storm.
    10-27-09 06:56 PM
    But not as large as Texas. Trust me, I'm from here so I'd know

10-27-09 06:58 PM

The Storm 2 is thinner, not as wide and lighter. Good game.
    10-27-09 08:41 PM
    I wasn't refering to non data users. I was refering to your bashes of BB in general and as I said there are millions of saticfied BB users some of whom have themselves bashed WM devices after switching.
    And then you get weirdos like me who just love 'em all.

It's like trying to choose between children! D:

Oh, and TP2 seems rather "candybar" shaped to me. So it may be taller, but definitely thinner.
    10-27-09 09:03 PM
    HTC Touch Pro2 Dimensions: 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D)

BlackBerry Storm 9530 Dimensions: 4.43" (H) x 2.45" (W) x 0.55" (D)

HTC Touch Pro2 Weight: 6.35 ounces including battery

BlackBerry Storm 9530 Weight: Approximately 5.47 oz. including battery

Regardless, the HTC is more ergonomically correct, feels lighter & has a dramatically better screen - glass under resistive interface - along with a keyboard to kill for.

Ladies, forget your nails with capacitive & you risk breaking them on the clickety-clickety Storm.

Everyone in cold country - with capacitive, you will need to remove your gloves, suffer frostbite & lose your fingers trying to use capacitive - then, with the type of glass on the Storm, don't subject it to temperature extremes as it can crack & shatter.

Size is subjective & interface is subjective - I have to ground myself before using a capacitive screen but can use a resistive screen with gloves, a pencil, my nose or my elbow - so for me, capacitive is worthless, as is a BlackBerry or any smartphone without data.
    10-27-09 09:44 PM
    I wasn't refering to non data users. I was refering to your bashes of BB in general and as I said there are millions of saticfied BB users some of whom have themselves bashed WM devices after switching.
    And there are millions more non-BlackBerry smartphone users who are satisfied & who routinely bash CrapBerry as a device for poseurs.

Worst browser on the market. Worst memory management on the market. Worst HTML email rendering on the planet. Least configurable calendar on the planet. Worst radio performance of any major brand. Most locked down OS out there. The only platform that requires a nanny-proxy to operate & the slowest data connection out there, because of that proxy. Oh, how about wireless sync?

I know there are people out there who like to look like tech-dumb attorneys...

Now, I do understand that some people don't want more - they can't handle or don't want increased capabilities. I knew a man, a Sunkist grower & multi-millionaire out of Yuma County, AZ - his name was CV Spencer, owner of CV Spencer & Sons Citrus. The C stood for Clarence, but no one dared call him that.

Old CV had money running out of his ears. He & his wife refused to buy foreign, but he could afford Rolls Royces & Bentleys had they wanted them. He used to buy his wife brand new Cadillacs - a new one every 6 months or so. CV drove a 15 year old Suburban or a pickup truck - no power windows, AM radio, vinyl seats. He had no use for the "fancy stuff." He liked his old trucks & let the wife have the toys, because he thought she needed to be in a nice car. The truth was, she would've been happy in something less - a Buick, maybe. She made fun of CV's trucks, but never stopped loving him.

When they went out, the old buzzard would be found in a dress shirt with jeans & exotic skin boots.

CV wouldn't have gone for smartphones - if he had, it would've been bone-basic BlackBerry. He would've bought something nice for the wife, though.

The number of BlackBerry fans is starting to show signs of stalling & soon falling. People who went through one or two have moved on to iPhone, WM, Palm or Android. BlackBerry is now attracting kids & flip-phone users. It doesn't attract WM, iPhone or Symbian users. When it does, those people are almost always coming from a single previous smartphone - a MotoQ maybe.

Cadillac used to have a competitor - it was Lincoln. Cadillac & Lincoln once made some awfully fine cars, with Cadillac being technology driven & Lincoln was simple elegance. WM used to have a competitor - it was Palm, then BlackBerry. WM was technology driven, while BlackBerry was simple elegance. Cadillac is again building fine cars, while Lincoln is just a Ford with lipstick. WM is again appearing to be a fine platform, while BlackBerry is just an old pig that has lost its way because they put lipstick over its eyes.

Old CV Spencer died a number of years ago. With him went a generation that valued simplicity & value. BlackBerry started dying a couple years ago, when it forgot simplicity & value and tried to be iPhone, WM & Palm all rolled into one.

If you want to sink with the ship, fine - but the new simplicity leader is Android.

And I asked AT&T folks yesterday in a conference call with Alpharetta - yes, ALL smartphones will soon be required to have data plans on AT&T, no matter what. Used, new, eBay, contract or not. No data plan, no smartphone on their network.

So go back to the AT&T forum - we really don't care what AT&T lets you do now. We know what we want now & it isn't AT&T, plus we know what is in the pipeline for AT&T customers - and that is parity with VZW in plan requirements.
    10-27-09 10:10 PM
    The Storm 2 is thinner, not as wide and lighter. Good game.
    I never said the Storm 2. Next time try contributing to the conversation instead of picking apart everything I say.

10-27-09 10:58 PM
    Alpharetta?? Name dropping usually only works when the people reading know what you are talking about..lol. The only Alpharetta I find is a city in Georgia...lol.

Anyway... It looks like AT&T is actually heading more towards TMO than VZW. Today I went into my account manager and found that if you to a No Commtment upgrade on a grandfathered account, you are able to add a full retail to your cart and go all the way to checkout without mention of a data requirement. Everywhere you look on the AT&T website there are the notices and pop ups about smartphones needing a required data plan, but those messages are not present when you are in the no commitment pricing screen. No notes in the price field, no pop ups and no redirect to the plan selection page. So, it appears that you can now do a no commitment upgrade and not be subject to the manidtory data plan. I tried this on my daughter line which has never had a smartphone and it works there too. However if you go in as a new user it does not give you access to the no commitment pricing opition so for now it can't be done online, but I wonder if you call and pay full price if it will end up like TMO where there is no requirement on full retail devices.

Oh, I had tried this same thing about a month ago and was prompted for the data so they have definitely changed the site and perhaps their TOS for grandfathered accounts.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-12-09 at 04:12 AM.
    11-12-09 03:13 AM
    The dead horse deserves a burial...

11-12-09 07:18 AM

I thought we had buried it long ago...
    11-12-09 08:16 AM
    I thought we had buried it long ago...
    Seems like someone just had to dig it up.
    Gross it smells!
    11-12-09 09:17 AM
    I am hearing more stories about VZW accidentally putting people on BES when they only need BIS.

Make sure you get that changed.

And the GPS works out of the box on the Tour. No need to do anything to make it work.
    I was put on it and didn't know. So I have both BIS and BES. It worked out though because I added my phone to our BES server where I work.
    11-12-09 09:35 AM

The dead horse was burried, I was just pointing out something new that has developed.
    11-12-09 10:10 AM
    It was rather irrelevant.

11-12-09 10:27 AM
    It was rather irrelevant.

Then why are you responding?

Those of us who don't need data but would like a new device find any developments in the requirement to be relavent and that's what forums are for. If you don't like other peoples postings or opinions then you want a blog not a forum.
    11-12-09 11:07 PM
    So it looks like they messed up on the website because it should in fact include the same data policy warnings as their subsidy phones. According to the 2 reps and a few posting I have found it's a change in the equipment that will trigger the data plan add. They do not concider a warranty or insurance replacement to be new equipment as long as it's the same model so no chance in getting an upgrade that way.

They really should fix the website because people are buying with the "no commitment pricing" and finding that in fact it's not "no commitment" but rather "no contract pricing", because you do have to commit to the data plan even though you are not extending your contract. So...looks like Unbranded is still the only option if you need a new phone...for now...lol. Looks like I will be using my Curve for a lot longer.
    11-12-09 11:12 PM
131 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD