11-13-09 01:18 PM
131 ... 23456
tools
    As far as using the abilities of the BB without a data plan...

You can sync any smart phone with your computer without data.... As the ability to sync isn't part going to use data...

But there are phones out there that do that which don't need smart plans....
    10-21-09 02:01 AM
    Dead horse, prepare to be kicked.
    10-21-09 08:28 AM
    All well & fine, but two things to remember here.

A) The OP didn't ask for alternatives or a discussion on the merits of BlackBerry versus other options or data/no data. Those types of discussions have been beaten to death & on the subject of data with a BlackBerry, the majority have let it be known that data wins.

B) This is the VZW forum. If we care what AT&T offers, we all know where the AT&T forums are & what AT&T's Web address is. If we don't, there are always search engines.

The OP did ask the following:

To answer the first question, yes, you are required to have a data plan on VZW with a BlackBerry. It has always been that way & there is no way around it.

AT&T & T-Mobile have also instituted a data requirement for ALL new contracts & smartphone activations, regardless of how you came into possession of that device. AT&T is also readying a new policy, to be implemented in the first half of 2010 where if your old contract is up & you go to month to month, you will have a mandatory data plan added.

To answer his second question, VZW does not activate GPS on any device. If the device is fully GPS-capable, then the GPS control is in the user's hands. The Tour is fully GPS-capable.

To answer the third question, I am assuming the OP doesn't need BES, therefore the BES plan charge was implemented in error. A call to 611 will fix that.

There - all questions answered. Take the AT&T benefits talk to the AT&T forums & the tired data or no data discussion to the trashbin of irrelevant arguments, because it is a moot argument. Regardless of the carrier, if you're on one of the big five, you will be required to have a data package, no matter what your opinion is. Don't want a data package? I am sure there are some decent flip phones for sale.
    Not sure what the problem is here twins..as I stated I was answering another post in the thread and you yourself suggested a Rogue to an AT&T user so answering that question is relavent. Also, I'd love to see your source for this so called month to month requirement since in order to institue that they would have to break the grandfathering they have given to existing users. Sounds like a load of garbage to me.

And if you are soo concerned with maintaining a VZW only discussion in the thread why make reference to a supposed upcoming AT&T policy...should you not have taken that to the AT&T forum? As for the data vs no data, I wasn't planning on arguing it but the topic was continue so I made my statements on that again.
    10-21-09 08:42 PM
    Dead horse, prepare to be kicked.
    I tried to say that in my first post but for some reason there are still those who still believe their are devices out there that are as good as the BB that are not concidered smartphone. No such animal exists. The BB is designed so well that even without data it still offers so much more than even the best dumbphone. Then there are those with PPU data who can use it as needed and still not tally up $30 in a month. So yes, let's keep beating that dead horse.
    10-21-09 08:48 PM
    IThe BB is designed so well that even without data it still offers so much more than even the best dumbphone.
    that is a hilarious and ill informed statement if I have ever heard one. you really are delusional aren't you?
    10-21-09 09:07 PM
    that is a hilarious and ill informed statement if I have ever heard one. you really are delusional aren't you?
    No actually I am very happy with my BB and find it rediculous when people suggest that just because I don't need data that I shouldn't have a BB. I actually was among the group calling BBs a businessmans device and not meant for the general comsumer but when the need for a device that could synch with Outlook and offer a very detailed interface on the device for contacts and calneder, I found (in may 08) that the only device that offered this was the BB. I then found that the BB offered even more features that I could use that did not require data. I then began using it for things like Google Maps and other downloaded apps that I could get using my PPU data and still not come close to $30 a month. So no, I am not delusional. I did my research.

I have asked many times in these discussions for someone to show me a device that does what the BB does without data in a non-smart phone on AT&T and as yet no one has been able to do so.
    10-21-09 09:17 PM
    this thread went so OT....
    10-21-09 09:17 PM
    this thread went so OT....
    The data requirement threads always do...lol.
    10-21-09 09:23 PM
    As far as the " gf rights " they go away at end of contract, they are no longer to reg. to fullfill any contract
    10-22-09 09:20 AM
    I tried to say that in my first post but for some reason there are still those who still believe their are devices out there that are as good as the BB that are not concidered smartphone. No such animal exists. The BB is designed so well that even without data it still offers so much more than even the best dumbphone.
    ]
    BB's are primarily communication devices. You need data to do that. I can see the uses of say, a pocket pc without data, but a BB? It would be on paperweight mode...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 10-23-09 at 08:39 AM.
    10-22-09 12:25 PM
    BB's are primarily communication devices. You need data to do that. I can see the uses of say, a pocket pc without data, but a BB? It would be on paperweight mode...

Again..I have a Pocket PC..it lacks a phone. I would rather carry 1 BB then a cell phone and a PPC.
    10-22-09 11:59 PM
    Again..I have a Pocket PC..it lacks a phone. I would rather carry 1 BB then a cell phone and a PPC.
    Great. Sign up for service with a provider that allows that then. I'm sure Page Plus, Boost, TracPhone or whoever would love to have you.

10-23-09 02:21 AM
    I'm referring to the phone series called pocket pcs. Ex. XV6700

10-23-09 08:38 AM
    Great. Sign up for service with a provider that allows that then. I'm sure Page Plus, Boost, TracPhone or whoever would love to have you.

Why would I do that? I like my BB and I have it on AT&T without data already. I think you came in a little late to the topic.
    10-23-09 04:47 PM
    I'm referring to the phone series called pocket pcs. Ex. XV6700

Why do this when you would be in the same situation? A PDA phone requires the same data plan as a BB so that is kind of a dumb suggestion. LOL. As I stated to the last person. I like my BB and plan on keeping it and if for some reason they end their grandfathering and require a data plan on it, I will get it. But for now, I am happy without it since I don't need to pay for something I don't really use.
    10-23-09 04:50 PM
    BB's are primarily communication devices. You need data to do that.
    Very true - outside of basic communications, BlackBerrys don't do a whole lot well.

10-23-09 04:51 PM
    Very true - outside of basic communications, BlackBerrys don't do a whole lot well.

In your opinion. I disagree. :-)
    10-23-09 05:05 PM
    In your opinion. I disagree. :-)
    Considering the slow web browser and cramped keypad, I don't see how.

10-24-09 12:43 AM
    Considering the slow web browser and cramped keypad, I don't see how.
    You forgot to mention how horribly incapable the browser is, too.

Opera is worlds better, but even then, it isn't nearly as good as Opera on other devices. Why? Because the BlackBerry platform is weak - 5.0 included.

Without going into too many long specifics, try using the VZW site on a BlackBerry browser. Doesn't work too well, does it? On other devices I can view it much the way I can on a computer - I don't even need the MyVerizon app. Same with AT&T. Go to T-Mobile on a BlackBerry & you can't view their site at all on a BlackBerry - but I can on WM, Linux or Symbian.

Did it ever occur to anyone why there are these little radio apps for BlackBerry, but not WM, Linux or Symbian? Could it be that I don't need iHeart Radio on the other platforms & can listen to station feeds directly?

HTML email on BlackBerry is a joke. Might as well be using Pine. Okay, it isn't THAT bad, but at least Pine is faster.

For the kiddies out there, Pine was a DOS/UNIX email app - I still use it occasionally.

You can only see one thing at a time on BlackBerry. I can see multiple items & have tabbed browsing on other phones.

Radio performance - data or voice - is dismal on BlackBerry when comparing with other devices.

Then there's the cramped keyboard, small screen, abysmal resolution & odd key layout, not to mention auto-text you can't cofigure on the fly...

Until someone has the hands-on time I have with all types of devices - those on the market & those not yet on the market - I will trust my judgment on the capabilities of the phones long before I entertain the opinion of someone who thinks a data-less BlackBerry is worth having.

10-24-09 04:00 AM
    You forgot to mention how horribly incapable the browser is, too.

Opera is worlds better, but even then, it isn't nearly as good as Opera on other devices. Why? Because the BlackBerry platform is weak - 5.0 included.

Without going into too many long specifics, try using the VZW site on a BlackBerry browser. Doesn't work too well, does it? On other devices I can view it much the way I can on a computer - I don't even need the MyVerizon app. Same with AT&T. Go to T-Mobile on a BlackBerry & you can't view their site at all on a BlackBerry - but I can on WM, Linux or Symbian.

Did it ever occur to anyone why there are these little radio apps for BlackBerry, but not WM, Linux or Symbian? Could it be that I don't need iHeart Radio on the other platforms & can listen to station feeds directly?

HTML email on BlackBerry is a joke. Might as well be using Pine. Okay, it isn't THAT bad, but at least Pine is faster.

For the kiddies out there, Pine was a DOS/UNIX email app - I still use it occasionally.

You can only see one thing at a time on BlackBerry. I can see multiple items & have tabbed browsing on other phones.

Radio performance - data or voice - is dismal on BlackBerry when comparing with other devices.

Then there's the cramped keyboard, small screen, abysmal resolution & odd key layout, not to mention auto-text you can't cofigure on the fly...

Until someone has the hands-on time I have with all types of devices - those on the market & those not yet on the market - I will trust my judgment on the capabilities of the phones long before I entertain the opinion of someone who thinks a data-less BlackBerry is worth having.

Is there a reason a person who doesn't list using a BB, sits on a BB forum and bashes BBs all day long? As for all your bashes...I don't have any of those problems. Of course I also don't expect ANY pocket sized device to have the same capabilities as a computer, and since I only need my BB to fill the gap when I am not at home on my laptop, what it offers is perfect. Of course if I really want computer function on the go, I can take my laptop with me like I do when I go on long trips.

Not all of us are IT tech geeks in need of a device that completely mimics a computer in a handheld device.

Some of us just REALLY like what the BB has to offer, and there are millions of users that feel the same way.
    10-24-09 06:46 AM
    Hey I like winmo better for email and skyfire rocked. But the speed of a bb out performed my win mobile standard. I had a treo without data because I didn't want to carry two devices. Same with winmo. Until I got data. Granted the bb pulls more data in theory than other devices. But if I didn't have data it would not be the end of the world. I need contacts and a calendar that can sync with ny pc.

10-24-09 09:01 AM
    Some of us just REALLY like what the BB has to offer, and there are millions of users that feel the same way.
    Nope - wrong again. If you take a look at RIM's numbers for accounts vs. the estimated number of BlackBerrys in use, less than 1% of active BlackBerrys don't have data.

We would need to have 200 million BlackBerrys to find "millions of users that feel the same way" as you do.

As I said before - it is a moot subject. AT&T requires data on all BlackBerry activations or contract extensions now. Don't believe me? You will when you try to switch to a new device or get a contract.

But the speed of a bb out performed my win mobile standard.
    Man Tony - don't judge WM by Treos & Qs. My TP2 & Imagio are both faster than my Bold & Tour. The O2 smokes the HTCs.

But, you do have a point - WM isn't as dependent on a data connection as is BlackBerry. Plus WM has run with WiFi & bluetooth file connectivity for a long time.

10-24-09 11:24 PM
    I would have to say that someone who thinks a BB without data is a worthwhile expense simply isn't a good judge of smartphones and the no grandfathering thing on new activations is right on the at&t site.
    10-25-09 03:49 AM
    Nope - wrong again. If you take a look at RIM's numbers for accounts vs. the estimated number of BlackBerrys in use, less than 1% of active BlackBerrys don't have data.
    I wasn't refering to non data users. I was refering to your bashes of BB in general and as I said there are millions of saticfied BB users some of whom have themselves bashed WM devices after switching.

Oh, and because of the requirement I have no intention of switching to a new AT&T branded device or extending my contract. Untill it is shown that AT&T can detect unbranded devices, I still have a means to keep a BB without data and since that won't even be an issue till May 2010, a lot can change between now and then.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 10-25-09 at 04:04 AM.
    10-25-09 04:01 AM
    I would have to say that someone who thinks a BB without data is a worthwhile expense simply isn't a good judge of smartphones and the no grandfathering thing on new activations is right on the at&t site.
    You are correct, I don't think anyone has said otherwise, AT&T does require a data plan on all New Activations and Upgrades, however, I did confirm with AT&T that if you are a grandfathered account you are not required to add data unless you do one of those 2 things. Since switching your sim to another smartphone does not require new activation you can put any smartphone you want on the account as long as you don't extend your contract or go into a store and have a rep activate an upgrade. I even checked on an insurance exchange because I wasn't going to pay for insurance if it meant I would have to take data and I was told that they are processed differently, as a replacement, not an activation.
    10-25-09 04:10 AM
131 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD