11-13-09 01:18 PM
131 12345 ...
tools
    yeppers....you have to go into your account options and change it.
    It does NOT automatically do anything. See the attachment, straight from the VZW online ordering screen.
    10-20-09 10:05 AM
    my screen never had that when I first ordered the phone, but then again this was back in April.
    I called up and said even though its a work email address, its pop3 and not running through BES so they dropped it.
    Anyhow...when I made changes to my account to drop my minutes only the 30.00 plan was showing.

BTW like the sig...I;m entitled to my opinion, just as you're entitled to my opinion
    10-20-09 10:13 AM
    my screen never had that when I first ordered the phone, but then again this was back in April.
    I called up and said even though its a work email address, its pop3 and not running through BES so they dropped it.
    Anyhow...when I made changes to my account to drop my minutes only the 30.00 plan was showing.

BTW like the sig...I;m entitled to my opinion, just as you're entitled to my opinion
    Heh - I will always defend your right to an opinion... as long as it is also my opinion.
    10-20-09 10:17 AM
    Twins,

I did a double take...pretty cool..
    10-20-09 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the insight....

Maybe the next time you see a topic you find to be old and tired you should just avoid it, instead of wasting time making a useless, less than helpful post...

As for the BlackBerry, like everyone else has said, it needs to have the BlackBerry feature to be on an account...
    Perhaps you should take a little of your own advise. It has been discussed repeatedly that a BB does not have to have a data plan to be a useful tool in someones communcation needs.
    10-20-09 10:57 AM
    Perhaps you should take a little of your own advise. It has been discussed repeatedly that a BB does not have to have a data plan to be a useful tool in someones communcation needs.
    But it does - all four major carriers require data plans now & RIM says they want your data money.

If you want a PDA without a monthly fee, HP & Dell can accomodate your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 11:12 AM
    It does NOT automatically do anything. See the attachment, straight from the VZW online ordering screen.
    Photoshop...

Yeah no I didn't like scam ppl on purpose I worked for a company that sold magazine subscriptions for companies like natural geographic, it was an outgoing callcenter where we called ppl at their homes and tried to get ppl to sign up. I wasn't on craigslist getting info from people or anything like that. And 3 weeks because calling someone elderly woman and asking for her dead husband got old.
    10-20-09 12:24 PM
    It does auto add the BES when reps place an order for the customer via the phone or via store.
    10-20-09 03:42 PM
    It does auto add the BES when reps place an order for the customer via the phone or via store.
    Read my post & the context - it was in response to blue_and_bold & Tony's assertion that the online ordering tool automatically added it. I said nothing about when a rep orders it.

If a rep orders it & the selection screen defaults to BES, it is the reps fault for not changing it. Nothing is automatically added to a customer account - the rep initiates the order & is responsible for accurate completion of that order. To lay blame on the tool for a lack of due diligence on the part of the operator is a cop-out.

The hole in the wall isn't the hammer's fault - it is your fault for missing the nail.

10-20-09 04:24 PM
    Thanks Twins...kicking me when I am down LOL!
    10-20-09 04:28 PM
    Nah - if I kicked you, you'd really be down.

10-20-09 04:35 PM
    Nah - if I kicked you, you'd really be down.

I will admit when you are wrong (just a play on your sig)

I was wrong....and so was Joe Girardi last night!
    10-20-09 04:40 PM
    I will admit when you are wrong (just a play on your sig)

I was wrong....and so was Joe Girardi last night!
    Don't sweat the game yesterday - it gives you one more game to watch. Besides - who wants a California team to win anything? I sure don't.

I see both series in five.

Now, excuse me while I go back to throwing RIM under the bus.

10-20-09 04:58 PM
    But it does - all four major carriers require data plans now & RIM says they want your data money.

If you want a PDA without a monthly fee, HP & Dell can accomodate your needs.

Whether the BB is a usefuil tool without data plan and the carriers requirement for a data plan are 2 different things. The device is still an excellent and useful device without a data plan. As for the requirement, there are still ways to have a BB without a plan. First is to be grandfathered like me. I have a BB without a plan and find it much more useful than a dumbphone. On the rare occasion that I need something data dependant like a new app download or Google map directions, I simply use Pay Per Use. Of course I keep track of my bill so I don't get those surprise bills that casued this reqquirement. The second way to use a BB without a data plan is to simply use an unbranded/unlocked device. One of the joys of GSM is I can buy a brand new unbranded device from Horizon and plug my sim card in and I am golden.

As for PDA...I have an HP Pocket PC, but it is missing something...Oh yeah.. a PHONE...lol.
    10-20-09 05:59 PM
    Sorry, but BlackBerrys have always required a data plan on VZW. And as for the others, new devices & new device activations require a data plan - GSM or not. I believe AT&T is anything after the first week in September & T-Mobile is anything after mid-June.

Want a new BlackBerry? You will need a new data plan - regardless of grandfathering.

But AT&T & T-Mobile are not in question here, as this is the VZW forum - so only VZW facts are in discussion. If the OP was interested in other carriers, I think he would have posted his comment/question in another carrier's forum.

10-20-09 07:24 PM
    I don't know if barbwyr is questioning the ability to put a BlackBerry on a plan without data....

But more saying he likes driving a White Toyota Corolla with 3 speed auto & factory alloy wheels, but dumbs it down one step further by removing the tranny... But believes its still excellent and useful without it....
    10-20-09 07:46 PM
    I don't know if barbwyr is questioning the ability to put a BlackBerry on a plan without data....

But more saying he likes driving a White Toyota Corolla with 3 speed auto & factory alloy wheels, but dumbs it down one step further by removing the tranny... But believes its still excellent and useful without it....
    Ah, now I understand & brilliant analogy - wish I'd thought of it. Thanks for the clarification!

I can see clearly now, the fog is gone...
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 10-20-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: BBCode correction
    10-20-09 07:54 PM

HA HA HA!!! Funny...Actually I believe Toyota is the antichrist. As for a BB without a data plan. I am not going to argue it further because there are plenty of threads regarding that and all have had sufficient reason for a BB without a data plan.

@ twins....I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to other broad statements made here.
    10-20-09 07:54 PM
    HA HA HA!!! Funny...Actually I believe Toyota is the antichrist. As for a BB without a data plan. I am not going to argue it further because there are plenty of threads regarding that and all have had sufficient reason for a BB without a data plan.

@ twins....I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to other broad statements made here.
    Do you really? Im actually being serious, sorry if your post went over my head.
    10-20-09 08:03 PM
    I don't really have a problem with people who want to use their BlackBerry without a data plan..

I just don't fully understand it.

The things that BlackBerrys do without their data is no different than most other phones....

So why not get a Qwerty dumb phone that does more...

Either way it really doesn't matter to me...

But as for with VZW... If you want a BlackBerry... Expect to have to pay more for data....
    10-20-09 10:24 PM
    I don't really have a problem with people who want to use their BlackBerry without a data plan..

I just don't fully understand it.

The things that BlackBerrys do without their data is no different than most other phones....

So why not get a Qwerty dumb phone that does more...

Either way it really doesn't matter to me...

But as for with VZW... If you want a BlackBerry... Expect to have to pay more for data....
    I chose a BB over a dumbphone because no dumb phone I have ever found synchs with Outlook. BB also offers the best interface with the calender and contacts I have found. Again, something that doesn't exsist on a regular phone.
    10-21-09 12:15 AM
    I chose a BB over a dumbphone because no dumb phone I have ever found synchs with Outlook. BB also offers the best interface with the calender and contacts I have found. Again, something that doesn't exsist on a regular phone.
    Samsung Rogue syncs with Outlook & Exchange and it handles contact synchronization better without duplications. Rogue does EMS, split messaging, Web, email, apps, etc. all for less money & with a superior performing radio.
    10-21-09 12:25 AM
    Samsung Rogue syncs with Outlook & Exchange and it handles contact synchronization better without duplications. Rogue does EMS, split messaging, Web, email, apps, etc. all for less money & with a superior performing radio.
    Rogue is a VZW device and I am on AT&T. Also, the Rogue, also requires a data plan per the VZW website so thanks but I made the right choice and plan on sticking with BB.
    10-21-09 12:38 AM
    Rogue is a VZW device and I am on AT&T. Also, the Rogue, also requires a data plan per the VZW website so thanks but I made the right choice and plan on sticking with BB.
    All well & fine, but two things to remember here.

A) The OP didn't ask for alternatives or a discussion on the merits of BlackBerry versus other options or data/no data. Those types of discussions have been beaten to death & on the subject of data with a BlackBerry, the majority have let it be known that data wins.

B) This is the VZW forum. If we care what AT&T offers, we all know where the AT&T forums are & what AT&T's Web address is. If we don't, there are always search engines.

The OP did ask the following:
    If I buy an unlocked BB from ebay am I required to have a data plan on it?

Also does VZW charge to activate GPS on the tour? My data plan was upgraded automatically for some reason to $45 and I'm not sure why or even what the difference is between the $30 and $45 data plans.
    To answer the first question, yes, you are required to have a data plan on VZW with a BlackBerry. It has always been that way & there is no way around it.

AT&T & T-Mobile have also instituted a data requirement for ALL new contracts & smartphone activations, regardless of how you came into possession of that device. AT&T is also readying a new policy, to be implemented in the first half of 2010 where if your old contract is up & you go to month to month, you will have a mandatory data plan added.

To answer his second question, VZW does not activate GPS on any device. If the device is fully GPS-capable, then the GPS control is in the user's hands. The Tour is fully GPS-capable.

To answer the third question, I am assuming the OP doesn't need BES, therefore the BES plan charge was implemented in error. A call to 611 will fix that.

There - all questions answered. Take the AT&T benefits talk to the AT&T forums & the tired data or no data discussion to the trashbin of irrelevant arguments, because it is a moot argument. Regardless of the carrier, if you're on one of the big five, you will be required to have a data package, no matter what your opinion is. Don't want a data package? I am sure there are some decent flip phones for sale.
    10-21-09 01:17 AM
    As Twins stated.... The OPs post has definitely been answered as far as their question...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 10-21-09 at 01:53 AM.
    10-21-09 01:42 AM
131 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD