03-01-10 10:42 AM
26 12
tools
    One little thing has been bugging me about the My Verizon app....

When you fire it up, it basically reports on usage for your primary phone line only. Sure, it will list my minutes and the shared usage.

But it doesn't allow one to track messaging and data on the other lines.

I know I can do this rather simply on the website, but it would be nice to have it in the app.......

I assume it would just be a matter of pulling additional data into the app. Shouldn't be hard, but I am also sure VZW doesn't really want you to know if you are approaching your limits....they want you to go over so you can pay more........
    02-24-10 09:28 AM
    agreed! i had an overage charge last month because my second line went over its limits.
    02-24-10 09:36 AM
    The only bucket I keep tabs on (and not really needed at this point) is my daughter's 250/mo text messages. But she is good about monitoring her sent/rcv. And I usually log onto the web at least 1/week to let her know where she stands. I'd rather it be a cooperative effort then to leave it totally up to her. Anyways, while I can get my info easily elsewhere, would love to see it on the app.
    02-24-10 09:39 AM
    Shouldn't be hard, but I am also sure VZW doesn't really want you to know if you are approaching your limits....they want you to go over so you can pay more........
    Doubt it. You just need to be more responsible. Any responsible adult can monitor their usage, there's online, there's #DATA, #MIN and if you want an extra handhold, there's Usage Controls for 4.99.

Or better yet, pay for Unllimited Messaging, then you won't have to worry about overages at all.
    02-24-10 10:37 AM
    I assume it would just be a matter of pulling additional data into the app. Shouldn't be hard, but I am also sure VZW doesn't really want you to know if you are approaching your limits....they want you to go over so you can pay more........
    I would like to see this changed as well, but don't blame VZW if your other lines are going over. If VZW wanted you to have overages (which they don't because it causes people to call in), then there wouldn't be other ways of checking. If the app doesn't fit your needs, then use the website.
    02-24-10 11:01 AM
    Doubt it. You just need to be more responsible. Any responsible adult can monitor their usage, there's online, there's #DATA, #MIN and if you want an extra handhold, there's Usage Controls for 4.99.

Or better yet, pay for Unllimited Messaging, then you won't have to worry about overages at all.
    I would like to see this changed as well, but don't blame VZW if your other lines are going over. If VZW wanted you to have overages (which they don't because it causes people to call in), then there wouldn't be other ways of checking. If the app doesn't fit your needs, then use the website.

Guys, I was just trying to be sarcastic there/here.

Agreed, the website does fit my needs, but I still would love it if there was more data on the app. That's all.

No need to go into a whole thing about being a responsible adult. Let's just forget that was even brought up, ok?
    02-24-10 01:56 PM
    I love it when someone makes a point, asks a question or a request involving children and all of a sudden you are an irresponsible parent.

I am with the OP it would be nice if you could get all the info from one APP. Good luck in your endeavors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 02:20 PM
    I love it when someone makes a point, asks a question or a request involving children and all of a sudden you are an irresponsible parent.

I am with the OP it would be nice if you could get all the info from one APP. Good luck in your endeavors.

When it comes to children with cell phones, it does have to do with the parent. If a parent is going to allow the child to use a device with the potential to accumulate large fees and usage, why should the parent not be responsible? A child is not allowed to enter a contract for a cell phone, so this cell phone is acquired by a parent. If the parent does not educate the child on what is proper use, then you have a large bill coming your way. And the first thing an irresponsible parent does is try to blame someone else. VZW does not and has not ever alluded to babysitting your usage, which is up to the user to monitor. I will gladly help a person with high usage or overages, but will not help someone that believes it is the carriers fault because its not.

And Shaylguul, there wouldnt be comments about irresponsible parents if there were no irresponsible parents. Sometimes the truth hurts and people get defensive when they are called out.

jlb21, if you were joking/being sarcastic, remember this, there is no infliction in writing, so your statements are taken for the value on paper. You can suggest or comment on one thing but to say Shouldn't be hard, but I am also sure VZW doesn't really want you to know if you are approaching your limits....they want you to go over so you can pay more........ has nothing to do with your suggestion and fully warrants my comment.
    02-24-10 02:50 PM
    Wow.. I love how some of you blame him for being an irresponsible parent because of an overage on a wireless phone bill (Theres much much more to parenting than a stupid cell phone bill)!! I bet you just bash him and drag him down because YOU are actually the ones that are irresponsible parents (Not all of you, just some) and it makes you feel better about your parenting skills to drag someone down with you.... (I am not a parent so dont try and put the whole parenting thing on me)
    02-24-10 03:02 PM
    And the match begins.....

What I don't see anywhere here is ANYONE complaining about overage charges, simply stating that they had some.

All jlb21 said was that it was it that it would be nice if you could get more detailed information from the My Verizon APP about shared lines and because he/she commented about having to remind his/her daughter from time to time what her text usage all of a sudden jlb21 is an irresponsible parent.

What I see here is someone sticking there nose in where it doesn't belong. Now if jlb21 had complained about overages then by all means have at it.

IMO children shouldn't have cell phones at all, but you don't see me jumping all over everyone who talks about there kids cell. As a parent what I do with or for my children is none of anyone's business except mine and my wife's.

Having said all of that if you chose to provide a cell phone or anything for that matter you should educate the child about every aspect of the item - proper use, care, consequences of going over your limits etc... If you don't and also don't monitor everything then you have no one to blame but yourself.
    02-24-10 05:15 PM
    Having said all of that if you chose to provide a cell phone or anything for that matter you should educate the child about every aspect of the item - proper use, care, consequences of going over your limits etc... If you don't and also don't monitor everything then you have no one to blame but yourself.
    Personally, I believe the easiest way to do all that is simple. If you're gonna give a kid a phone, make it prepaid. It lets them learn the hard way fast, and serves as damage control that won't drain your bank account or make you have to call in to haggle with call-center reps who really don't want to be haggling with you.

Every month, give the kid an allotment on a prepaid phone card. If they blow it all on ringtones in a day, it's their own dang fault, and they'll learn fast when they don't have any more phone or texting for the rest of the month. On the other hand, doing it this way allows them to do things like downloads and browsing within reason, and they'll learn to budget their usage.

Granted, this doesn't help anyone who's already signed up for the postpaid line. In such cases, make sure the kid understands *they* will be paying for any overage. If you enforce it, once again, they'll watch what they're doing and stick to what's within reason, even if they do go over, and you won't have to be staring at My Verizon all day. From what I've seen with the customers, parents who do this often have the best experience with their children's phone use.
    02-24-10 05:34 PM
    Personally, I believe the easiest way to do all that is simple. If you're gonna give a kid a phone, make it prepaid. It lets them learn the hard way fast, and serves as damage control that won't drain your bank account or make you have to call in to haggle with call-center reps who really don't want to be haggling with you.

Every month, give the kid an allotment on a prepaid phone card. If they blow it all on ringtones in a day, it's their own dang fault, and they'll learn fast when they don't have any more phone or texting for the rest of the month. On the other hand, doing it this way allows them to do things like downloads and browsing within reason, and they'll learn to budget their usage.

Granted, this doesn't help anyone who's already signed up for the postpaid line. In such cases, make sure the kid understands *they* will be paying for any overage. If you enforce it, once again, they'll watch what they're doing and stick to what's within reason, even if they do go over, and you won't have to be staring at My Verizon all day. From what I've seen with the customers, parents who do this often have the best experience with their children's phone use.
    That would be an excellent way to handle it.

02-24-10 05:56 PM
    And the match begins.....

What I don't see anywhere here is ANYONE complaining about overage charges, simply stating that they had some.

All jlb21 said was that it was it that it would be nice if you could get more detailed information from the My Verizon APP about shared lines and because he/she commented about having to remind his/her daughter from time to time what her text usage all of a sudden jlb21 is an irresponsible parent.

What I see here is someone sticking there nose in where it doesn't belong. Now if jlb21 had complained about overages then by all means have at it.

IMO children shouldn't have cell phones at all, but you don't see me jumping all over everyone who talks about there kids cell. As a parent what I do with or for my children is none of anyone's business except mine and my wife's.

Me and you actually see eye to eye.
    02-25-10 04:25 AM
    Folks, I was going to not respond any more since it might only perpetuate more venom and I didn't want to be the cause of that. But I do want to get a few points across.....

1) As noted above, all I really wanted to say was that it would be nice to see more data in the app. Perhaps I used the wrong words....Perhaps I Assumed my tongue in cheek joke comment about VZW didn't come across in the printed word. My bad for those. But, again, the basis for my post was a simple feature request.

2) I agree that if a child is to have a cell phone, it should be for a specific need/purpose and that the parents should in fact discuss the privilege, expectations, responsibility, etc, that is the kid's, the parent's, and the cooperative effort of the kid and parents.

3) While my daughter does text with her phone, the reasoning for providing it to her is mostly for those usually rare times when I am at work and my wife is not home when my daughter get's off the bus from school. If her key isn't working for the house for some reason, we want her to have the phone in order to contact one of us. Also, if we were to drop her at the movies or something with a friend, and they need to call for some reason. Etc.

Not everyone will feel that a kid needs a phone for these circumstances. Heck, when I was her age now, the closest thing we had to a cell phone was.....nothing.

4) So my daughter has a 250txt for $5/month. At this time, we pay for it. If she has an overage or two, she will start paying for the base and the overages. If she continues to have overages, she will lose the phone for a month or two (not yet determined), etc.

She is a good responsible kid. She tracks her in/out boxes get an approximate feel for where she stands with her TXT message usage. Once a week (or more frequently towards the end of the statement period), I will check the VZW website to make sure her numbers agree (sometimes she forgets to account for subtracting previously saved messages from her total for the current period). And if someone sends her a message when she is about to hit her limit, she will send a message back and ask that person to stop sending for a few days since she is over her limit (I will pay for the few TXT messages it takes for her to respond in that way). And she also knows if her friends are barraging her as she approaches her limit that we can block TXT totally to prevent overage based on other people sending messages to her.

5) She knows she has a good thing with us paying for her 250 $5 base and does not want to have to start paying for that. She also knows that if she wants more than 250, she will have to pay the extra $5/mo to go up to the unlimited in/500 out (I think that's what it is). But the $60 for a year of that is not worth it to her. She plans on keep herself in check.

Soooooooooooo, to those who think in general that a child should not have a cell phone, I would generally agree. But we felt the benefits of of our child having one outweigh the negatives. We have not given her the phone willy-nilly without any discussion with her about use, responsibility, etc.

And on that note, let me rephrase what my original goal was with this thread:

To anyone from VZW that is responsible for the My Verizon Blackberry App, it would be nice to have more information available in the app such as information for all lines in one's account and not just the primary line.

Ok, shall we close this thread now?
    02-25-10 10:15 AM
    If requested I would be happy to close the thread. I think it's good dialog thou. I too would like to see MyVerizon add this functionality, or if they want to charge for it like with the usage controls, then have a separate pay app, you can d/l to your berry to monitor your child's usage, like a super chaperon app or something like that.

Remember it's OK to disagree folks, we must just do so WITHOUT being disagreeable. And so far you guys seem to be doing an OK (not superb, BUT OK) job of that, so I vote we keep it open. BUT I can close it if the OP would like.
    02-25-10 11:25 AM
    No, that's not necessary. You make valid points.

I at least think I have gotten my point across correctly now, and defended myself against some of the other points of view, so I'm good.
    02-25-10 01:00 PM
    The problem is none of us really run the website, or have any say or ability to decide what's included in My Verizon. Typically, you get an assortment of care reps, store reps, and tech/global reps here, with maybe the occasional sup or two. You don't get decisionmakers and suits, and if you do, they aren't going to admit it in public.

So the best we can do is give suggestions involving what tools/resources you have now, and some of them may even be useful.

If you want to pursue this however, the best thing to do would be to submit feedback on the site itself, Verizonwireless.com. That would get it to the right people at the very least. If other people have also expressed an interest, that's where you'll start seeing results.

Or you could always just snatch your daughter's phone every night and hit #DATA on it. *shrug* But that goes right back into using what you have now. Honestly, if the simple rule of "you pay your own overage" applies to your daughter, and she is good about following it and paying up when due, maybe nothing else really needs to be done on your part.
    02-25-10 03:22 PM
    Hey, I never new about #data and that it would show TXT message usage.

This is perfect for my daughter. It will give her a much clearer picture of usage and would allow her to not have to worry about factoring saved messages into her calculation usage based on sent/received.

And for what it is worth, I will probably send an email to VZW about the app. You never know.
    02-26-10 11:50 AM
    Do keep in mind as with other # features that monitor your account, they are free. No count against your SMS package.
    02-26-10 12:12 PM
    I really like the idea, of telling the child to monitor their own data AND if they go over then THEY have to pay for it out of their allowance, or whatever. Helps them to become more aware and responsible. As parents, yes we should monitor, BUT we should also trust too, and let then have SOME rope, make some mistakes, pay the consequences, AND (wait for it)........ LEARN FROM IT!
    02-26-10 12:47 PM

This is perfect for my daughter. It will give her a much clearer picture of usage and would allow her to not have to worry about factoring saved messages into her calculation usage based on sent/received.

And for what it is worth, I will probably send an email to VZW about the app. You never know.
    It's feedback that generates the most user friendly changes just keep that in mind.
    02-26-10 12:59 PM
    Yeah. I did send an email to VZW. I will report back here if I hear anything.

I really like the idea, of telling the child to monitor their own data AND if they go over then THEY have to pay for it out of their allowance, or whatever. Helps them to become more aware and responsible. As parents, yes we should monitor, BUT we should also trust too, and let then have SOME rope, make some mistakes, pay the consequences, AND (wait for it)........ LEARN FROM IT!
    It also makes it easier to do this when you have a responsible child. But the #data thing is just what she/I were looking for.
    02-26-10 02:08 PM
    This is an inside joke but "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH someone didn't tell the customer about self serve options"
    02-26-10 03:08 PM
    Okay so I've been away from CB for awhile. I didn't know there was a my verizon app, but I think I want it.
    I've always found it ridiculous that the verizon website is not accessible from a verizon BB. Does the app make it possible to do things with your vzw account that normally would have to be done from a computer?

03-01-10 10:32 AM
    This is a nice feature I know of the # options but this has everything at finger tips for you
    03-01-10 10:38 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD