I recently lost my Blackberry Storm and I'm not eligible for any upgrade prices. I figure I will have to pay full retail so I will opt for the Storm 2 at the $589 price tag. Will I be able to transfer my contacts from Storm to Storm 2? Luckily the day I lost my phone, I did an OS upgrade so I have the LoaderBackup.ipd file. Will I be able to use this file to transfer contacts to the Storm 2? Is there a program that will allow me to access the .ipd file to read my contacts and manually key in my contacts into my Blackberry. Also is there a recommended website to purchase phones without a plan, remember I lost my old phone so no SIM or SD card. Thanks any input is appreciated

Edit: My carrier is Verizon Wireless
    Last edited by Gunnett; 12-16-09 at 10:54 PM.
    12-16-09 10:48 PM
    If you have insurance, you can get another Storm1 and just pay the fee to replace your phone (you can only replace it w/ the same type of model unless they run out then they will replace it w/ a comparable one). As far as upgrading, yes you will have to pay the full price and no rebate included.

I'm not "smartphone" illiterate as far as the back up info so someone else will have to answer that back up question for you. Did you use the DM for the computer to do your back ups as well? I know when I transferred my info via DM it transferred everything, including previous txt msgs over.
    12-16-09 11:11 PM
    The DM will back up your info just fine (contacts, bbm's etc.) I swapped all my info from my S1 to the S2 with no problem. 3rd party apps will need to be converted though
    12-16-09 11:20 PM
    You should be able to upgrade with 1 yr pricing. Yes your backup file will work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 11:22 PM
    The DM will back up your info just fine (contacts, bbm's etc.) I swapped all my info from my S1 to the S2 with no problem. 3rd party apps will need to be converted though
    So it seems I can load most of the stuff from the .ipd file since the majority of the files are saved to the phone's internal memory. Am I correct in saying, I'll only be losing my media files from the SD card? I'll have to be careful in what files I transfer over so I don't overwrite the Storm 2's OS with the Storm 1's OS.
    12-16-09 11:29 PM
    So it seems I can load most of the stuff from the .ipd file since the majority of the files are saved to the phone's internal memory. Am I correct in saying, I'll only be losing my media files from the SD card? I'll have to be careful in what files I transfer over so I don't overwrite the Storm 2's OS with the Storm 1's OS.
    I'm pretty sure thats not possible.. I dont think the loader backs up the OS, i think it just backs up the info such as contacts, settings, basically the things DM backs up.

And yes, you are correct; you will not have anything that was stored on your SD card.
    12-17-09 01:16 AM
    Thanks silenttt123 for the info seems like the only thing I have to worry about is where to purchase the phone.
    12-17-09 01:46 AM
    Yupp pretty much. I would suggest looking in the marketplace here on CB. You may be able to find one for around $450

12-17-09 03:46 AM
    You should be able to upgrade with 1 yr pricing. Yes your backup file will work.

/\ this is a better option. Call VZW and ask. It's cheaper then full retail if you lost your phone and you don't have insurance or an upgrade.
    12-17-09 10:23 AM

/\ this is a better option. Call VZW and ask. It's cheaper then full retail if you lost your phone and you don't have insurance or an upgrade.
    Verizon calls it an Alternate Upgrade, they do it at the manager's discretion, that means they don't HAVE to offer it, but they usually do. I've gotten them in the past. You get the 1 year contract price, BUT you must restart your 2 year contract. However it's well worth it when you consider the savings over the retail price.
    12-17-09 12:28 PM
    An Alternate Upgrade is actually when someone wants to upgrade, but isnt eligible, so they use another line on the account to upgrade, then switch the ESN...
    12-17-09 12:55 PM
    An Alternate Upgrade is actually when someone wants to upgrade, but isnt eligible, so they use another line on the account to upgrade, then switch the ESN...
    Well whatever they call it, they DO sometimes offer the 1 year contract price to poor folks in the OP's situation.
    12-17-09 02:33 PM
    They never do that for me bastards...
    12-17-09 02:47 PM
    I ended up getting a good deal on a Tour on eBay so is there anything I special I should do when transferring. I think I may only transfer contacts.
    12-27-09 10:36 AM
    Verizon calls it an Alternate Upgrade, they do it at the manager's discretion, that means they don't HAVE to offer it, but they usually do.
    um what are u talking about?

Anyone with a priceplan that includes Friends & Family is eligible to upgrade yearly at the rwo-year discount price. U have to pay an upgrade fee (like $20) and then resign 2 years. U lose year NE2 for another two years

But that's the cheapest way to upgrade.

12-27-09 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD