i ended up getting my 8330 a bit wet last weekend, and dried it out, and it actully continued to work, until monday night
    since then the phone functions perfectly, but the radio keeps turning off
    a vzw employee freind said to call up sales and plead my case for an early upgrade..
    happened to be out today and saw there was a vzw store in the strip mall i went to. turns out this is a "authorized retailer" store...
    stopped in, explained my situation and that my phones dead probably because of it being wet, and he said hed see what he can do
    called in and asked to upgrade me for the next 2 years, but im 1 month away from that
    so he told me he would get me a new phone and then i could upgrade in a month, he calls tech support, tells them my phone doesnt scroll left of right and i need a new one. says he did the trouble shooting and tech says ok, new phone is on the way!
    im stoked! tell my vzw friend and he says that if i return mine, itll get denied, and ill get charged full retail!
    what should i do! i thought this guy was helping me out, but i the whole point was not to pay the full retail for an old model! or doesnt it matter since it went through this guy first?
    in reading some other forum posts, i also swapped the case, would they be able to tell that too?
    07-02-09 02:25 AM
    You are most likely screwed. First thing they check for is tampering. Second is water damage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-09 02:42 AM
    So this is what you do. You call VZW again, have them cancel the replacement phone. You're required to send your old phone back and water damage is an automatic disqualifier. This means that you will be charged full retail price for the replacement.

After that (assuming you have insurance included on your plan) you call Asurion the insurance company, and tell them your phone was stolen or lost. They'll send you a replacement after the $50 deductible.

Basically your choices are between paying $50 for and insurance replacement or $600 after VZW sees the water damage. You might even be able to sell your old phone for $50 anyway. A water damaged BlackBerry is still a steal at $50. Especially if it's still mostly functional.
    07-02-09 04:05 AM
    But then your phones esn would be blacklisted so best you could do on eBay is parts right?
    So this is what you do. You call VZW again, have them cancel the replacement phone. You're required to send your old phone back and water damage is an automatic disqualifier. This means that you will be charged full retail price for the replacement.

After that (assuming you have insurance included on your plan) you call Asurion the insurance company, and tell them your phone was stolen or lost. They'll send you a replacement after the $50 deductible.

Basically your choices are between paying $50 for and insurance replacement or $600 after VZW sees the water damage. You might even be able to sell your old phone for $50 anyway. A water damaged BlackBerry is still a steal at $50. Especially if it's still mostly functional.
    07-02-09 04:51 AM

You should be banned for telling him to commit fraud. His phone was not stolen or lost, so quit giving this person lousy advice.
    07-02-09 06:53 AM
    I agree..there are to many people on here telling people to commit insurance fraud.
    07-02-09 07:00 AM
    Especially since assurion covers water damage why lie to them?

If an authorized agent did it properly he should get the blame not the op

07-02-09 07:14 AM
    Did the OP ever say he has insurance? If he does, I assume he would have gone that route. Also, you can't call Verizon and have them cancel the shipment. The only options are to refuse shipment when FedEx comes or send the new one back in place of the old one. Do what your friend said and plead for an early upgrade. If you're on a medium-to-high rate plan and pay your bill on time, your chances are good.
    07-02-09 08:15 AM
    Just call Verizon to cancel the replacement phone, if it is in mail then just send mail the replacement phone back.

If you have insurance then just report on accident, including water damage because insurance will cover the accident.
    07-02-09 08:33 AM
    You should be banned for telling him to commit fraud. His phone was not stolen or lost, so quit giving this person lousy advice.
    Yup, I'm surprised about they said and it's part of insurance fraud, that's not good.

Insurance does cover the accident, including water damage and it should be fine.
    07-02-09 08:35 AM
    yeah no insurance, first phone in 6 years ive broken, so i think im ahead at this point.
    He told the guy the phone was cutting in and out, so the phone was over-nighted.

If I did send it in, is there any chance I could argue my case with VZW that the guy who had me send it in knew about my situation, and should be the one at fault?
    Or maybe i should call VZW and explain my situation, and tell them this "authorized retailer" is trying to defraud them, and theyll help me out for being honest?

I really want to upgrade to the Tour, which is obviously a few days away. I could wait, but im going to be out of the area the day it comes out and itll be basically 3 weeks, including a trip until I could get one
    So early upgrade now would probably not get me anything other than a new curve, and Id never be able to get the tour.
    07-02-09 10:53 AM
    yeah no insurance, first phone in 6 years ive broken, so i think im ahead at this point.
    He told the guy the phone was cutting in and out, so the phone was over-nighted.

If I did send it in, is there any chance I could argue my case with VZW that the guy who had me send it in knew about my situation, and should be the one at fault?
    Or maybe i should call VZW and explain my situation, and tell them this "authorized retailer" is trying to defraud them, and theyll help me out for being honest?

I really want to upgrade to the Tour, which is obviously a few days away. I could wait, but im going to be out of the area the day it comes out and itll be basically 3 weeks, including a trip until I could get one
    So early upgrade now would probably not get me anything other than a new curve, and Id never be able to get the tour.
    Since your phone has been water damaged if Verizon catches it you will have pay a replacement cost. Probably wont be full retail since they will more than likely send you a refurb. Call them and explain the situation and tell them that you told the person at the store that you got it wet. Ask them what they are going to charge you it may be an acceptable cost.

If you are waiting on the tour you can always upgrade to a curve now and send it back within 30 days and get a tour instead. Just ask them what there return policy is.
    07-02-09 11:31 AM
    yikes...
    I hope you report that store rep. I would hate for you to get blamed for the fraud he/she commited.
    07-02-09 11:38 AM
    So he should lie, right? It is people like you who increase costs for everyone and call it victimless. With a mindset like yours, we can reasonably assume you're a liar, a cheat, a thief, a crook and worse. People without integrity, morals or honor are the scum of the earth and should be banned not from this forum, but from society.

To the OP:
    Sorry about your problem, but it was your fault and not anyone else's. You knew it was water damaged. You knew it was modified. You allowed an auth retailer to lie on your behalf. But I smell more here. How are you so close to an ne2 and still have a phone under warranty? Did you buy it at retail? If you bought it used, you have no warranty to start with. Rim only warrants their stuff to the original purchaser. If you modified it, you have no warranty no matter what and technically your insurance is void too.

Since you have tried to implement various chapters of Lionheart's "Working the System" book of thievery, if I were you I would be searching my heart to determine the root of the fraudulent behavior.

If you hadn't initiated all of this or if you had just said no to the rep trying to "fix" your problem... you know, acted like a stand-up type of guy/gal, you'd not be here now. You were screwed before you walked into that store.

07-02-09 11:42 AM
    Im not close to a NE2 at all. im 11 months into my 2 year contract and was trying to upgrade with the anual upgrade, that is allowed under verizon. I just dont get my 50$ off - big deal
    I knowing voided my warrenty when i modified it. I didnt ask him to lie for me, I told him what I was trying to do - upgrade for another 2 year contract, and get the phone @ the 2 yr price, which is legal and in no way fraudulent!
    He then asked VZW and they said to come back in 1 month. He then called tech support, said something to them about the scroll wheel, and told me my new phone was on its way. I had no part of this other than trying to figure out if what he did Was fruadulent, which apparently it is!
    Im going to call VZW today, explain the situation and see if I theyll let me uppgrade with a 2 yr contract due to the circumstances. Ill also give them this guys info so they can go question him about his practices...
    07-02-09 11:50 AM
    From my understanding, early 1 year upgrades don't happen - it is only the two year that is worked around. But you didn't know any of this & were inquiring. At this point, it is all good.

Still, I'd have stopped the transaction at the store. Since you didn't, refuse the FedEx shipment, call VZW & explain to them why you refused the shipment, then go on.

If you are 11 months in, are eligible for an early up & want the Tour, you can get one about two weeks after it is released. This is good, as you'll get some idea as to the problems & issues with it and you'll be better equipped to decide if you really want one.

I have had extensive time with the Tour - I know I do not want one, but will be stuck with one for work, as we like to keep things standardized & that includes phones on the BES. So away will go one Curve & I will be carrying two different smartphones.

07-02-09 01:46 PM
    I wanted to let you know I refused the device they sent me, and ended up getting the tour yesterday. I called VZW CS, and explained what the guy did, but they didnt seem all that concerned. After i ASKED if they would investigate this 'rep' he said he would submit something about it on "the customers behalf". Sounds like he didnt care about it at all but what can ya do.
    07-21-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD