I have a BlackBerry Tour right now, but it has been giving me a lot of problems lately. I'm having trackball problems and radio problems. Trackball is just a rampant issue in these things, and no OS that I have installed has fixed the radio issues. So I called Verizon today and asked if I could get a replacement, and they obviously said yes. But when I asked about getting a phone other than the Tour, they said no. But I'm sure I've read about people getting phones other than the original one. Is it possible? Because I'm sick of having to get a new Tour ever 3 months because the trackball craps out or something.
    03-01-10 05:05 PM
    Unfortunately due to others abusing the system you are issued a Certified Like New Replacement Tour.

This policy has recently changed. While you may be able to escalate the issue more than likely you will continue to receive more Tours. You could inquire about an annual upgrade or maybe an alternate upgrade if you have other lines on the account.
    Last edited by bs1two; 03-01-10 at 05:10 PM.
    03-01-10 05:08 PM
    In their Return Policy, they say you can get "either a like unit or one of comparable quality" which in my mind means a phone of pretty much equal or lesser value. Seeing as a new Droid is $600, and so it is a new Tour, I think that's a fair trade. If that doesn't work out, I'm just gonna get my new Tour, and trade/sell it for a Droid.
    03-01-10 05:17 PM
    A like unit is being offered.

VZW gives you options. While they aren't always great options you do get them. You can take another Tour or you can purchase a Droid full retail. I am somewhat on your side but from VZW's stand point they are losing a lot of money in this transaction. I agree that you should get a device that works.

You have to think this way... you are in possession of "used" Tour now. Trading for a new Droid... would you do it if it were the other way around?
    03-01-10 05:27 PM
    I also have a lot of accessories for it, so that helps even out the value. I know they aren't at all equal when you trade in real life. I'm definitely willing to throw in some cash.
    03-01-10 05:31 PM
    You can put that up in the marketplace!

I understand your situation fully. It's people who have legitimate problems who have been screwed over by those who abused the system. I wish you the best of luck and if others have more options they can chime in. As I stated you may be eligible for an alternate upgrade or annual upgrade if you meet the requirements.
    03-01-10 05:33 PM
    Yep, I just posted

Is the alternate upgrade switching upgrade dates with another line on the same plan?
    03-01-10 05:46 PM
    For the record, the trackball issue on the tour can usually be fixed by dabbing a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer on the trackball and rolling it around. Try to at least give it a few good diagonal rubs. That'll break up the crud that's collected inside.

The main issue with the trackball is unlike on previous blackberries, there's no real way to take it out and clean it. So you have to make do and get creative. :P
    03-01-10 05:47 PM
    Yep, I just posted

Is the alternate upgrade switching upgrade dates with another line on the same plan?
    Yes that is exactly what the altrenate upgrade is.
    03-01-10 05:49 PM
    Too bad none of the phones on my plan are close to an upgrade :/ We all got new phones in October of 2009.
    03-01-10 05:50 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Tour right now, but it has been giving me a lot of problems lately. I'm having trackball problems and radio problems. Trackball is just a rampant issue in these things, and no OS that I have installed has fixed the radio issues. So I called Verizon today and asked if I could get a replacement, and they obviously said yes. But when I asked about getting a phone other than the Tour, they said no. But I'm sure I've read about people getting phones other than the original one. Is it possible? Because I'm sick of having to get a new Tour ever 3 months because the trackball craps out or something.
    Verizons policy used to be if you went through 3 or more phones in 90 days or less, you could get a new phone similar to what you had. I think Verizon now changed it to 4 phones now in 90 days, then you can switch to another phone
    03-01-10 06:05 PM
    Well, I'm not sure I could go through that many in 90 days. I'm going on the third in 4 months. Which is close, but not quite.
    03-01-10 06:06 PM
    Well, I'm not sure I could go through that many in 90 days. I'm going on the third in 4 months. Which is close, but not quite.
    then no, you cannot get another phone since you dont meet the requirements.
    03-01-10 06:08 PM
    Verizons policy used to be if you went through 3 or more phones in 90 days or less, you could get a new phone similar to what you had. I think Verizon now changed it to 4 phones now in 90 days, then you can switch to another phone
    There is no such policy. The Muulti Fru is no longer offered. Instead you will be offered the exact same device you purchased.
    03-02-10 04:02 AM
    In their Return Policy, they say you can get "either a like unit or one of comparable quality" which in my mind means a phone of pretty much equal or lesser value. Seeing as a new Droid is $600, and so it is a new Tour, I think that's a fair trade. If that doesn't work out, I'm just gonna get my new Tour, and trade/sell it for a Droid.
    "Trading" is not part of the warranty policy. Another used Tour is very much a "like or comparable quality" phone. It's the same phone you bought. Theres always full retail or 3rd party.
    03-02-10 04:05 AM
    There is no such policy. The Muulti Fru is no longer offered. Instead you will be offered the exact same device you purchased.
    oh wow, really?? I didnt know that changed there policy that much like that. I can see why they did that though since many will just return the phone as many times as needed to get another phone.
    03-02-10 09:01 AM
    It's worth a try to get a replacement tour for your numerous time, I had a tour and never had a bit of problems from it. The other opinion is purchasing your desired phone at cost either from verizon, 3rd party like eBay or something along those lines
    03-02-10 10:30 AM
    Actually if u push it u will get a certified like new of another phone. I nagged for an hour n went from a storm to a storm2 n I have an employee account

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD