06-15-09 06:56 PM
32 12
tools
    I upgraded (new every 2) and renewed my contract on April 23rd. For my BB, I paid $52 after my upgrade ($50 off) and an online discount ($70) as I ordered from www.verizonwireless.com. As I stated in another thread, I had an earpiece rattle and sent it back when I received my brand new replacement. When I was ordering my replacement, I was told if I didn't send the old one back within ten days I would be charged. No biggie, makes sense to me. Well, as it turns out I was charged as soon as they sent it out $180. I called VZW right away and was told I'd receive my credit when the warehouse scanned it. What they did not tell me is that they were going to refund the $52 from the original phone and keep the $180 on my bill. I've argued with three different reps saying it is not fair to charge me MORE to return a phone within my 30 days. I did not receive my online discount and now I've paid $70 extra to return a phone that had a manufacturing defect when I thought I would have an even return. Yes, I know I need to pay for my phone, I already did! Why charge me an extra $70 to return a phone within the 30 days of renewing my contract? I've always had good customer service, but VZW is wrong on this and I cannot get anyone there to listen to me.

Am I way off for thinking I should have paid my original price for me phone to replace a defective handset? I need a second (at this point, it is more like a fourth) opinion.

Thank you for any advice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 10:12 AM
    Wow, thats really low and back-handed of them to do that to you. Not sure what you can do except to say call Verizon again. Keep calling back until you find someone who will give you a favorable outcome. Let me know what happens.
    05-30-09 10:18 AM
    I wanted to add (I cannot edit my post above for some reason) that I received my replacement and sent out my old one well within 10 days. I was charged $180 before I even received my replacement handset. The gentleman who handled my replacement order told me he was new and it would take some extra time on the phone because he wanted to make sure I was not charged for the replacement. Apparently whatever he tried to do didn't work. But I did do what I was told to do. They received my old handset on May 11, I received my new handset on May 7.

05-30-09 10:22 AM
    I think we need another VZW math lessen. Call them back on speaker phone and record the call. Put the recording on youtube and blog about it.

05-30-09 10:35 AM
    I think we need another VZW math lessen. Call them back on speaker phone and record the call. Put the recording on youtube and blog about it.

Personally, I think if the OP talks to right people in VZW (a Supervisor) who will investigate what happened, this can be resolved without all the extra work.
    05-30-09 10:45 AM
    Personally, I think if the OP talks to right people in VZW (a Supervisor) who will investigate what happened, this can be resolved without all the extra work.
    Or they could record the phone call with the supervisor just in case it remains unresolved.

05-30-09 10:53 AM
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you got a rep who processed this in the stupidest way possible. My guess is that he processed one transaction returning the phone, but not the NE2 discount (when you process a return, the NE2 show up as an item on the transaction, just like a phone or accessory). Then he sold you a new phone, possibly with a mail-in rebate instead of an instant. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, but it's my best guess. However, if indeed that's what happened, it should be easily traceable and fixable if you get the right person on the phone.
    05-30-09 11:11 AM
    Sounds like the wrong transaction got credited, a simple finger error. If you can get this concept into the brain of a CSR or supervisor they should be able to fix it. If not, even supervisors have supervisors... all the way up to CEO.
    05-30-09 11:28 AM
    Or they could record the phone call with the supervisor just in case it remains unresolved.

What good is recording it - if you try to get this resolved in a civil manner, it will get resolved. Recording the call does nothing, not even admissable in a court action unless you divulge that you are recording it.

Also, at this time while I do not doubt the OP in any case, I am sure we do not have all the facts of the situation, only one side of the conversation. So why would you tell the OP to go out and cause hate and discontent, until all avenues of communication are exhaused?

Yes they can record, but see my statement above, and placing it on youtube does not make the OP's complaint gosple.
    05-30-09 11:29 AM
    You're going to have to call in again, have handy both of your receipt numbers. Give the rep receipt number one which shows the lower price you paid for your phone, then explain you exchanged within your worry free guarantee, but were charged a higher price for your phone. If this rep doesn't get it, escalate to a supervisor. Whatever you do don't just give up on it.
    05-30-09 11:46 AM
    What good is recording it - if you try to get this resolved in a civil manner, it will get resolved. Recording the call does nothing, not even admissable in a court action unless you divulge that you are recording it.
    While your recording it you remain civil and try to get it resolved. Once you have made numerous attempts to rectify the situation you post the recording. Worst case scenario is that you don't get the money back. When we call customer service we are told "This call may be recorded for quality and training purposes." They already know that their calls are being recorded, there is no reason for me to tell them again. You may just create enough bad PR for VZW that they will take notice and I'm sure the situation would then be resolved.

05-30-09 12:23 PM
    You're going to have to call in again, have handy both of your receipt numbers. Give the rep receipt number one which shows the lower price you paid for your phone, then explain you exchanged within your worry free guarantee, but were charged a higher price for your phone. If this rep doesn't get it, escalate to a supervisor. Whatever you do don't just give up on it.
    This is the simplest way to get a problem resolved with VZW. If you have receipts and the 1800 CS won't help take it in to your local store. There should be someone there willing to help you with it.

Giving the rep the ACE # (not sure how many this will be for online order typically 6 for in store) it's located on the top right hand corner of an online receipt. Should have a few 0's in front of the number you actually need. Give all of that information the rep.
    05-30-09 01:06 PM
    If all else fails make sure the NE2 is still available on your account, return the $180 phone and start over.
    05-30-09 01:16 PM
    Then he faces a restocking fee of $35.
    05-30-09 01:17 PM
    this is why you do not order online or over the phone.
    05-30-09 05:14 PM
    Verizon charges a $35 restocking fee if you're within you're 30 day return period? Damn they are making money off their subscribers left and right.
    05-30-09 06:53 PM
    Sounds like the wrong transaction got credited, a simple finger error. If you can get this concept into the brain of a CSR or supervisor they should be able to fix it. If not, even supervisors have supervisors... all the way up to CEO.

+1

you can get it resolved based on the issue just keep pushing you will talk to someone who needs to hear it
    05-30-09 08:08 PM
    I upgraded (new every 2) and renewed my contract on April 23rd. For my BB, I paid $52 after my upgrade ($50 off) and an online discount ($70) as I ordered from New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. As I stated in another thread, I had an earpiece rattle and sent it back when I received my brand new replacement. When I was ordering my replacement, I was told if I didn't send the old one back within ten days I would be charged. No biggie, makes sense to me. Well, as it turns out I was charged as soon as they sent it out $180. I called VZW right away and was told I'd receive my credit when the warehouse scanned it. What they did not tell me is that they were going to refund the $52 from the original phone and keep the $180 on my bill. I've argued with three different reps saying it is not fair to charge me MORE to return a phone within my 30 days. I did not receive my online discount and now I've paid $70 extra to return a phone that had a manufacturing defect when I thought I would have an even return. Yes, I know I need to pay for my phone, I already did! Why charge me an extra $70 to return a phone within the 30 days of renewing my contract? I've always had good customer service, but VZW is wrong on this and I cannot get anyone there to listen to me.

Am I way off for thinking I should have paid my original price for me phone to replace a defective handset? I need a second (at this point, it is more like a fourth) opinion.

Thank you for any advice.

same thing happened to me...
    PlanetFeedback.com
    fixed by executice office next day when they called me...
    DONE
    05-30-09 08:20 PM
    this is why you do not order online or over the phone.
    I have had more issues with getting phones in the store, than online.
    05-31-09 02:31 AM
    I do not live near a Verizon store. My only choice, unless I wanted to drive 56 miles, was to order online. I pulled out all my paperwork and I now realize what happened. I was told to use the original return label to return my broken hand set. I'm assuming that tracking/label number was tied to the $52.99 of the original transaction. If I had used the new return label, maybe it would have evened out. I will call back tomorrow and try to sort it out to get my online discount back.

I'm not one to cause discontent or argue. I deal with discontented people in my job everyday. There are enough unhappy people in the world. And for the record, you have all the facts on my case. I reiterated everything that happened in my experience. I was told I would not be charged unless I failed to return the phone in 10 days. He put me on hold saying, "I'm fairly new at this, so it will take a bit longer, but I want to make sure you aren't charged for the replacement when it is sent out." Apparently what he did failed to work. It is what it is and the best thing I can do now is keep at it in hopes of resolution.

I appreciate all the positive feedback and advice.

05-31-09 07:40 PM
    I do not live near a Verizon store. My only choice, unless I wanted to drive 56 miles, was to order online.
    Keep in mind, there is also telesales. You an order and speak with a rep that has sales and ordering experience, as this is all they do
    05-31-09 08:20 PM
    Verizon charges a $35 restocking fee if you're within you're 30 day return period? Damn they are making money off their subscribers left and right.
    Well it was put into place bc of people abusing the system. And it really does cost VZW a chunk per phone that is returned bc we don't resell them as new devices.

However, I have seen some cases where Authorized Retailers do.
    05-31-09 08:33 PM
    Well it was put into place bc of people abusing the system. And it really does cost VZW a chunk per phone that is returned bc we don't resell them as new devices.

However, I have seen some cases where Authorized Retailers do.

it didn't used to have that restock fee...

but like you said many people were just like trying out phones for the fun of it with no intention of keeping it..

so Its a needed thing..
    05-31-09 08:36 PM
    Keep in mind, there is also telesales. You an order and speak with a rep that has sales and ordering experience, as this is all they do

I actually called #611 to ask if I could order a phone because VZW's online store couldn't find my address. She said the best thing she could do was ship it to the closest store (in Flagstaff). So I chose to have it shipped to my mom, who in turn shipped it to me.

Very roundabout way, but the rep told me they didn't do phone sales direct to customers

It's really amazing the different responses you get from customer service to the very same question. The second time I called CS to talk to someone about the whole fiasco, I was told that she couldn't help me, I needed to talk to some phone inventory department. She transferred me to it and he said that he couldn't help me, that the rep had transferred me to the wrong department. It was the third time that I finally got some sort of response, although she disagreed with my logic, claiming "you need to pay for the phone ma'am, it's not free" I know that, but why do I need to pay more for a phone when I'm getting it replaced? She wasn't listening to me. Sigh.

I will gather my paperwork today and go in for round number four. Is there any way to EMAIL Verizon? I feel like if I can get my case out in writing, it might be more understandable to a rep. I checked the "contact us" on the website, but couldn't find an email address. I know I'm missing something...
    06-01-09 11:12 AM
    WOW, I cant believe there hasnt been a resolution yet. A hottie like you deserves some special attention.

Oops, Im being naughty, sorry.

Seriously, I dont have an email for Verizon but writing to them is probably a very good idea. That way you can thoroughly explain your situation and whoever is on the other end can read it 100 times, if needed, to finally let it seep into their minature brain.
    06-01-09 12:18 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD