My Pearl is less than a year old and has a hardware issue (ALT key came loose), so without a hitch a tech in my local Verizon store set up a warranty replacement for me. NICE!

Received it last night. Popped it open today to prep for transferring everything over and can't figure out how to get the device switch wizard in DM to work. One CS phone call and I determine I can't use the device switch wizard b/c I only have one USB cable and one battery (sorry, still bit of a noob here). She recommends doing a backup and restore. I had already backed up thru DM and backed up my 3rd party apps just in case as well.

Then I try plugging in the new device and DM doesn't recognize it. I come to the realization that the phone must have to be activated before it can be recognized by DM. I "activate" it via the web, fire up the new device, and the radio is OFF. No problem, I dial *228, option 1, and it tells me the device can't be activated, I have to call the 800 #. I wait 5 mins and try again, still no go. I call CS. They fix something in their activation system, and we try again, but the radio is OFF again. It activates, but the radio goes off after 30 secs. So I'm transferred to a blackberry tech, where I should have been in the 1st place. He has me dial ##000000, which brings up a cool screen where you can probably do serious damage to your device.

He has me add a password in, supposedly to fix this issue, which causes the device to reboot. After it comes back up, the radio is still OFF.

After a couple more mins he determines the replacement device is faulty and is sending me another one, I should have it by Monday.

WTF, does no one check these refurbed devices before they send them out for replacements?

Thanks for reading, rant over.
    02-26-09 03:28 PM
    Generally only about 3% of Refurbs are faulty. You just got a bad one, sorry.
    02-26-09 04:22 PM
    does no one check these refurbed devices before they send them out for replacements?
    Egads - I am sure glad my insurance gives me a new device if lost/stolen/damaged!

You'd think there would be better QC. Unfortunately, the blame could lie with the carrier, but more than likely, it is the manufacturer or the manufacturer's authorized service centers who rebuild them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 04:25 PM
    Egads - I am sure glad my insurance gives me a new device if lost/stolen/damaged!

You'd think there would be better QC. Unfortunately, the blame could lie with the carrier, but more than likely, it is the manufacturer or the manufacturer's authorized service centers who rebuild them.

Agreed, but shouldn't Verizon have some (a little?) responsibility for the quality of the devices that the service centers rebuild for them?
    02-27-09 07:59 AM
    Agreed, but shouldn't Verizon have some (a little?) responsibility for the quality of the devices that the service centers rebuild for them?
    They should. They are authorizing the service centers who do the refurb repairs. I don't think a ton of fault should fall on VZW, though. I don't think these issues are rampant, either. Sometimes new-in-box devices are DOA, too. It happens. My GH Guitar broke after 2 months. I am sending it back for a replacement. Things like this happen all the time with electronics.
    02-27-09 08:48 AM
    Most definitely they should and from what I've heard, they accept it through credits & other customer service magic. VZW, like most companies, doesn't like having unhappy customers.

Still, situations vary & the same issues plague all carriers. Weekendbum stated there is about a 3% failure rate on these things which is probably twice the failure rate of new ones. I can't help but think what I would do with a 3% error rate. Our finished equipment performance tolerance maximum is 0.50% & we are regularly under half that.

Personally, I think is is the unrelenting push to lower costs due to consumer demand. If we were all amenable to paying a little more, our witnessed quality would increase. I look at the BlackBerry Bold & see a device built to a price point instead of the quality regardless of cost of the older BlackBerrys. Another example is the old Western Electric telephone sets we used to be forced to lease from Ma Bell. Those phones would last through drops, fights, water damage & more. I still have a 3-slot payphone hanging in my kitchen that was in public service for 25 years, reconditioned and has been in my possession for 30 years and still works better than my cordless phones.

And I really love its ringer - a real bell.

02-27-09 09:01 AM
    Generally only about 3% of Refurbs are faulty. You just got a bad one, sorry.
    Not to nit-pick but its less than 1% according to VZW.
    02-27-09 02:28 PM
    If that were true, it'd be well below the electronics industry average. I've heard numbers between 3 & 10% on smartphones; much less with dumbphones - with a similar range quoted by AT&T reps.

Could it be your 1% figure includes dumbphones?

02-27-09 02:52 PM
    I was referring generally to Blackberries/Smartphones in particular. If you do all warranty swaps it is about 1-1.3% from what I've heard. Although, a lot of returns are user error as well.
    02-27-09 06:04 PM
    Although, a lot of returns are user error as well.
    Say it ain't so, Bum!

Users never make errors, do they?
    02-28-09 11:16 PM
    If that were true, it'd be well below the electronics industry average. I've heard numbers between 3 & 10% on smartphones; much less with dumbphones - with a similar range quoted by AT&T reps.

Could it be your 1% figure includes dumbphones?

The number includes all VZW phones not specific to smartphones. It has been drilled into my head by VZW/Selectron to recite to our customers. That and all replacement/fru swaps go through a 100 point inspection. I'm a good parrot :P
    03-01-09 12:15 AM
    You do realize that even BRAND NEW phones have failures right?

DOA phones do exist.

Refurbs are usually good phones, the really messed up part is that (IMHO) 90% of replacements don't need to happen.

That is just my opinion tho, this is definately a FRU situation.
    03-01-09 06:46 AM

Hee hee Egads. I thought I was the only who still used that.

To the OP, I am sorry that whole situation happened to you. I hope you get it worked out as well.

03-01-09 06:50 AM
    When i got my replacement, i did not use the switch device wizard. I did a back up of the old phone and restored it to the new one.

Also, it was pretty clear that I would not be able to activate the phone on line. THere was a paper in the box that said I had to call customer service to activate the new phone.

regardless, sorry you got a bad replacement. Hopefully the next one will work for you
    03-01-09 10:19 AM
    Update - I received my 2nd replacement device yesterday and am now up and running with minimal fuss. Installed 4.5.0.131 on it, did a restore, but then also had to restore my 3rd party apps, they didn't come over with the backup.

word to the wise if you need to switch devices - make sure you backup your 3rd party apps separately, in addition to a regular backup. Just in case.
    03-03-09 02:20 PM
    i've gotten a refurbished phone that was a dud. sigh. it sucks but at least another one is on its way
    03-03-09 03:39 PM
    Yea, I've been through 2 refurbs, this one has chips taken out of the sides and now the refuse to give me a new one!!! I sent a letter and I got an automated reply LOL! sucks for me!!!
    03-11-09 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD