10-20-09 08:37 PM
32 12
tools
    I've used Garmin and VZNav and they've screwed up equally, I suupose a frequent traveler would observe more differences.
    It isn't so much the accuracy as it is the features & the frequency with which new map info is added.

I will say that VZNav is usually better with new areas than is Google or Yahoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 12:41 AM
    A) No one said anything remotely similar to "this one is 100% accurate.

B) The original question pertained to someone not liking VZNav & wanting an alternative. His alternative was TeleNav. I mentioned two others.

C) You did nothing to address the original question. You selected my statements, as you seem to always do, to call out.

D) it is rapidly becoming apparent that your only purpose on this site is to attempt to contradict half of what I say. Looking back at your posts in the VZW forum, over half are in response to something I said.

E) The OP doesn't like VZNav - neither do I & neither do a lot of people. He has tried it & I have tried it. I have also tried TeleNav & am not impressed with it either. I don't care what crap you have to say, nor do I care that you don't have issue paying $120/year for something that is substandard to the competition. VZNav exists as a convenience - created before smartphones were popular - for those who aren't into geotagging or the finer things available in the medium.

If I make you feel so insecure about your uninformed choices that you can only respond to what I say or suggest in an attempt to justify those choices, too bad. Try answering some of the OPs, instead of being so infatuated with my writing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually I did attempt an answer to the ops question. I was looking at telenav after I got my BBery. The wanted $10/mo billed to either cc or paypay (don't remember which).

VZNAV on Verizon feature phones, which currently is at 4.5.x is better at mapping than VZNAV on BBery Tour, which currently is at 4.1.0. Integration with contact address is cool. This version needs a desperate upgrade, but it still does the job. Network In Motion uses the same basic engine for a bunch of nav software including Telenav, Gokivo, VNZAV, AANav and more.

My friend just bought Garmin and he likes it and says it does the job, but there are not a lot of choices in getting turn by turn software on a phone device.

"If I make you feel so insecure" - what? on an internet forum. That gets a big LOL. Anyway I enjoy your posts and keep the insults coming. It makes for a great debate. (I personally take a higher road)
    10-19-09 10:57 AM
    Actually I did attempt an answer to the ops question. I was looking at telenav after I got my BBery. The wanted $10/mo billed to either cc or paypay (don't remember which).
    Do you mean this?
    I like VZNAV. It does what I need it to do. You can cancel your VZNAV subscription and pay for TELENAV. All you need, I believe, is a credit card.
    Because you are wrong. Same base code so as long as you have a phone with vznav on it you aren't getting telenav. I have tried it and telenav customer service blames verizon firmware. As for the rest of this scuffle, Dad seems to be right. I just searched your posts and you do spend an inordinate amount of time following him or responding directly to his posts. Your only detailed answers are to him. The rest are all one or two liners like you have a grudge or something. There is no debating with opportunists like you.
    10-19-09 10:44 PM
    Do you mean this?

Because you are wrong. Same base code so as long as you have a phone with vznav on it you aren't getting telenav. I have tried it and telenav customer service blames verizon firmware. As for the rest of this scuffle, Dad seems to be right. I just searched your posts and you do spend an inordinate amount of time following him or responding directly to his posts. Your only detailed answers are to him. The rest are all one or two liners like you have a grudge or something. There is no debating with opportunists like you.
    Hmmm. Could it be he posts a lot, and people who post a lot get a lot of feedback? Could it be his opinions are directly contrary to my experiences? I will give that he has more experience with beta products than me (judging from his posts. I don't know what he does and frankly I don't care. I have my own hands full.). But I know what I need as a consumer to run my business quickly, efficiently.

When you say VZNAV is garbage, you have nothing to back it up. There might be certain situations VZNAV falls on it's face. But I've seen other nav devices/software fall flat also. In my world, from the left coast to the right coast it's a 97% pass for the product. You are entitled to your opinion, Twins is entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion.

As you said, there is no debate, when you post a proclamation. You should expect a rebuttal.
    10-20-09 05:54 PM
    Funny how this is the first thread I see, and I was going to make a thread about VZ Navigator.

Anyone know of a FREE alternative to VZ Nav?
    10-20-09 06:30 PM
    Hmmm. Could it be he posts a lot, and people who post a lot get a lot of feedback? Could it be his opinions are directly contrary to my experiences? I will give that he has more experience with beta products than me (judging from his posts. I don't know what he does and frankly I don't care. I have my own hands full.). But I know what I need as a consumer to run my business quickly, efficiently.

When you say VZNAV is garbage, you have nothing to back it up. There might be certain situations VZNAV falls on it's face. But I've seen other nav devices/software fall flat also. In my world, from the left coast to the right coast it's a 97% pass for the product. You are entitled to your opinion, Twins is entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion.

As you said, there is no debate, when you post a proclamation. You should expect a rebuttal.
    Again, a complete lack of response to the point quoted, as well as accusations of people not backing things up - which is exactly what is done in nearly every post by this individual - no backing & no factual basis.

Worthless words from a self-puffed individual.

Dogs made a valid observation - you offered nothing of help to the OP. We get that you like VZNav. The OP doesn't. Get it through your thick skull & move on unless you think you can convince him otherwise & PROVE your point.

Funny how this is the first thread I see, and I was going to make a thread about VZ Navigator.

Anyone know of a FREE alternative to VZ Nav?
    You might try Nav4All. I believe you can find it at Nav4All.com or through a Web search.
    10-20-09 07:14 PM
    Again, a complete lack of response to the point quoted, as well as accusations of people not backing things up - which is exactly what is done in nearly every post by this individual - no backing & no factual basis.

Worthless words from a self-puffed individual.

Dogs made a valid observation - you offered nothing of help to the OP. We get that you like VZNav. The OP doesn't. Get it through your thick skull & move on unless you think you can convince him otherwise & PROVE your point.

You might try Nav4All. I believe you can find it at Nav4All.com or through a Web search.
    "self-puffed/thick skull?" - okay we're now at the same level

The only valid semi-opinion/fact is VZVAV is optimized for a 2" display. You have an issue with the way the product handles freeway junctions. However, in my opinion that does make it "junk" as I don't have an issue and it doesn't effect the accuracy.

I got the op doesn't like VZNAV there some others. Here are the partners of Networks In Motion:

Networks In Motion, Inc.

They are all the same basic program with strong platform integration. (I have used Gokivo also) I don't know how NIM compiles their apps, obviously having to support different hardware and software combinations with not every variant being able to run on every phone. So if you eliminate NIM you are left with Garmin and some other alternatives.

All of the NIM location based apps as far as I can tell are offered through their respective carriers at $9.99/mo with the occasional no-fee trial period.

Depending on how the op feels about trusting the directions to a free app such as NAV4ALL there might be another alternative. If you are not looking for turn by turn voice, google maps give great directions and their map display is excellent.

If one travels with a laptop maybe Garmin PC edition is the way to go.
    Last edited by i7guy; 10-20-09 at 08:43 PM.
    10-20-09 08:37 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD