10-20-09 08:37 PM
32 12
tools
    I have given VZ Nav a week and I really can't stand it. It reminds me of the first GPS I bought 10 years ago. I've had the Tour from Sprint and now the Tour from VZW. VZW coverage stomps Sprint hands down but the "Sprint Nav" (Telenav) is much better. I searched the forums and went to Telenav's website which tells me that "you already have telenav installed on your device". Any ideas on how to get a better GPS nav app on this phone? I have unlimited data so one would think that I would be allowed to pay anyone I want for their GPS app right?
    Thanks-Will
    10-14-09 02:48 PM
    I like VZNAV. It does what I need it to do. You can cancel your VZNAV subscription and pay for TELENAV. All you need, I believe, is a credit card.
    10-14-09 03:02 PM
    Many feel Telenav is a little better - AT&T & Sprint use it. But far better is available with either Garmin Mobile or Nav N Go's iGO 8.

The Garmin WM & Symbian versions are better than the BlackBerry version and iGO is not available in BlackBerry.

I find no functionality differences between VZNav & Telenav.
    10-14-09 04:37 PM
    I cancelled my VZ Nav, uninstalled it and then tried the Telenav DL. Again it states "You have already purchased TeleNav service from carrier." Telenav and VZNav do basically the same things but the interface for the VZNav kills me. I wouldn't even try to use this thing in a downtown area. In the meantime I'm gonna check that Garmin Mobile that you're talking about. Thanks!
    10-14-09 08:11 PM
    Yeah I personally like Garmin Mobile. Telenav caused an App Error 517 and completely destroyed the OS on my Storm (I had to reload the whole OS!) when I tried it out. It only worked once for me and then it refused to download the maps after that. The interface of Telenav is nice, but Garmin Mobile works consistently, every time I load it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 11:37 PM
    I really wish that Garmin would offer a trial. I'd gladly pay $100 upfront for a good GPS app if I could give it a test run. What I ended up doing was going to Blackberry App World and downloading their version of Telenav. Much better interface IMO to VZNav. Going through Telenav directly was just not working. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll continue to watch the Garmin App.
    10-15-09 01:17 PM
    Garmin offers a 7 day trial. It is hard to find though..
    Here you go, friend : Garmin Mobile

Go to that link on your BlackBerry! It should detect the device. I've had problems with Telenav. Plus, Telenav is $100 for a one year subscription, where Garmin Mobile is $100 for a lifetime license.
    Last edited by Azothyran; 10-15-09 at 01:27 PM.
    10-15-09 01:24 PM
    Thank you, friend! We are leaving for our one year anniversary trip to the Pocono's tomorrow and we'll see how this does! Thanks again!
    10-15-09 02:21 PM

Go to that link on your BlackBerry! It should detect the device. I've had problems with Telenav. Plus, Telenav is $100 for a one year subscription, where Garmin Mobile is $100 for a lifetime license.
    Lifetime of the device - not your lifetime.

Buy a new device & you will need to renew your license.

And you don't have to buy it direct - Amazon, Newegg & others sell it, usually at lower prices.

A little secret - if you don't need it constantly & soon, you do the trial, give them a good email address, use it, then let the trial lapse. Garmin will send you a special discount offer.
    10-15-09 03:36 PM
    Replace Navigator user with a smarter user.

10-15-09 06:36 PM
    I don't think that is it, Darth - maybe its a loose nut on the keyboard?

They do have a point though - VZNav is good, but not great.
    10-15-09 06:45 PM
    Lol maybe.

10-15-09 06:48 PM
    Igo and Garmin rock.
    Vznav and telenav, bleh.
    10-16-09 04:25 AM
    VZNav does exactly what it is supposed to do. Friend of mine has Garmin, in the end the only difference is he paid $99 and I pay $9.99/month. Garmin gives you the ability to transfer the license to one additional device. Other then Garmin having a flight status page and VZNav having an events and weather function, it's a matter of preference.

All of the network in motion gps applications are basically the same.
    10-16-09 09:09 AM
    Rather spend near 100-140 on a garmin than 10 bucks a month for vznav.
    10-16-09 09:38 AM
    Rather spend near 100-140 on a garmin than 10 bucks a month for vznav.
    Try $60-$99.

VZNav is optimized for about a 2" screen, while Garmin & iGO is optimized for smartphones & the accuracy of Garmin & iGO is much better, as long as you keep them updated.

VZNav still has issues with something as simple as freeway junctions ("bear left," when the freeway is straight as an arrow), while the better apps have no such issue.

10-16-09 10:14 AM
    Try $60-$99.

VZNav is optimized for about a 2" screen, while Garmin & iGO is optimized for smartphones & the accuracy of Garmin & iGO is much better, as long as you keep them updated.

VZNav still has issues with something as simple as freeway junctions ("bear left," when the freeway is straight as an arrow), while the better apps have no such issue.

I disagree. I've used VZNav in CA(LA, SF, Lake Tahoe), AZ(Phoenix and points north, west and east), NYC and the surrounding area, tri-state area(NY, NJ, Conn) without any issue. No issue with freeway junctions or incorrect routing. For the most part, when I'm driving alone, the phone is in my pocket and I listen to the directions.

I see we're back to the "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" conversation.
    10-16-09 10:37 AM
    thanks guys
    10-17-09 07:21 AM
    I disagree. I've used VZNav in CA(LA, SF, Lake Tahoe), AZ(Phoenix and points north, west and east), NYC and the surrounding area, tri-state area(NY, NJ, Conn) without any issue. No issue with freeway junctions or incorrect routing. For the most part, when I'm driving alone, the phone is in my pocket and I listen to the directions.

I see we're back to the "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin" conversation.
    It has nothing to do with angels or pins - but your desire to post public rationalizations of your choices without recognizing other options with merit are out there, seems to be your MO.

I can point out several areas in the Valley where VZNav falls on its face. For starters, try mapping a starting point of anywhere in North Phoenix, Glendale, Carfree or Peoria to the back office development in the 4400-4500 South block of Wendler Dr, Tempe, 85282. When VZNav tells you to get off on 48th St, you've been hosed. The Nav system on my Denali does better as does Garmin & iGO. VZNav also chokes on much of the newer Buckeye, Maricopa, Queen Creek & San Tan Village areas.

Now, once you've done that, tell me if VZNav can do this:

Or this:

You may not need all of that, but you know many of the gadget nuts here want it, plus it resembles a real GPS unit & not a 2D phone app.

You might try helping out in the forums instead of making feeble attempts to discredit me - especially in areas far beyond your expertise.
    10-17-09 01:18 PM
    You are posting non-helpful information. Sure there are features available in high-end units not available in VzNaV. However I've seen car navs, Garmin, Tomtom, google maps and VZNaV all screw up snd get the endpoints or directions wrong.

None of these devices are 100 percent and VZNAV isn't any more wrong than any other devices. You are certainly welcome to ignore my posts instead of claiming I'm trying to discredit you by posting an opposing opinion. And I stand by my original comment.

10-17-09 01:59 PM
    You are posting non-helpful information. Sure there are features available in high-end units not available in VzNaV. However I've seen car navs, Garmin, Tomtom, google maps and VZNaV all screw up snd get the endpoints or directions wrong.

None of these devices are 100 percent and VZNAV isn't any more wrong than any other devices. You are certainly welcome to ignore my posts instead of claiming I'm trying to discredit you by posting an opposing opinion. And I stand by my original comment.
    A) No one said anything remotely similar to "this one is 100% accurate.

B) The original question pertained to someone not liking VZNav & wanting an alternative. His alternative was TeleNav. I mentioned two others.

C) You did nothing to address the original question. You selected my statements, as you seem to always do, to call out.

D) it is rapidly becoming apparent that your only purpose on this site is to attempt to contradict half of what I say. Looking back at your posts in the VZW forum, over half are in response to something I said.

E) The OP doesn't like VZNav - neither do I & neither do a lot of people. He has tried it & I have tried it. I have also tried TeleNav & am not impressed with it either. I don't care what crap you have to say, nor do I care that you don't have issue paying $120/year for something that is substandard to the competition. VZNav exists as a convenience - created before smartphones were popular - for those who aren't into geotagging or the finer things available in the medium.

If I make you feel so insecure about your uninformed choices that you can only respond to what I say or suggest in an attempt to justify those choices, too bad. Try answering some of the OPs, instead of being so infatuated with my writing.

10-17-09 11:46 PM
    Vznavigator is crapola and a ripoff. Anything is better.
    10-18-09 06:47 AM
    Vznavigator is crapola and a ripoff. Anything is better.
    Ditto. I was in the middle of Tallahassee on I-10 and VZNav told me I wasn't on a road! Um, I cancelled immediately. Verizon needs to loosen up on this and let us use 3rd party apps.
    10-18-09 07:15 AM
    Garmin is available on the BlackBerry Lounge for 20% off, so basically $80

So how many angels dance on the end of the compass needle - oh, the north end.
    10-18-09 10:44 AM
    I've used Garmin and VZNav and they've screwed up equally, I suupose a frequent traveler would observe more differences.

10-18-09 01:17 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD