So, i posted a few days ago about having problems with my data card. I am not able to fix the current problem as Verizon/Alltel don't support using my data card with a router.

So, my question is this. Can i keep my existing Alltel (unlimited - truly) data plan and buy a verizon mifi to use with it?
    I originally bought my data card and router from alltel at full price because i did not want to sign a contract. Would i be able to get the mifi with a new Alltel contract for 2 years to "lock in" to the "unlimited" plan i have now? If not, i would be willing to pay full price for the equipment to keep my alltel plan.

TIA if you can help me. I am in desperate need to get my internet to actually work. Since i can't do that with my current configuration, i need to find an alternative.
    10-11-09 09:23 AM
    Anyone with a solution/suggestion?
    10-11-09 03:52 PM
    SOlet me see if I understand this. You want to buy a MI-FI that has a 5 GB cap and use an unlimited Alltel device through the MI-FI?
    10-11-09 04:45 PM
    I'm a VZW rep and I believe you can't use the mifi with an alltel plan. That's just my experience, I haven't seen anyone using the mifi with an alltel unlimited plan.
    10-11-09 04:49 PM
    I am looking for a solution to my data connection.

I wasn't aware that the device itself has a cap.

I was simply wondering if the verizon device would be compatible with my current plan (alltel). If so, i can just get the verizon device to use so i don't have the problem with having my data card run thru a router which i cannot get support to fix.

If i have to change over to a Verizon plan to get my data to work, i will continue to try to find a working solution to my current setup. If the device itself (as per your question) has a 5 GB cap, then i will also keep my current configuration. I was told that you could use a Verizon phone on an alltel plan (but not the other way around), so i was wondering if the same applied for the data plan/device.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ter1990; 10-11-09 at 04:52 PM. Reason: more info.
    10-11-09 04:50 PM
    You can use a Verizon Phone on an Alltell plan only if the Alltell plan is still an "active" plan. Think Legacy America's Choice for Verizon, its no longer offered, so if you upgraded to a phone that required Nationwide, you would have to upgrade the plan. If your Attell data plan is still "active", you may be able to use it. If it is required to change, the device doesn't have the 5GB limit, the plan does. That may change when LTE rolls out.
    10-11-09 05:26 PM
    My data plan is active (well, i pay for it every month). I have a data card hooked thru a cyfre router. All i want to do is get a connection for multiple devices simultaniously, but keep my plan the way it is.
    Sounds like, from what you said supermario, that all i would need to do is buy the device (mifi) and activate it on my current alltel plan. Is that correct?
    If so, can i get it with a 2 year contract price or would i have to pay full price? If i get it at the contract discount, would i have to switch over to a Verizon plan with a cap?
    10-11-09 05:31 PM
    Actually what I said was, if your Alltell plan is "active", doesn't mean you pay for it, but means that its still available in the VZW billing system, you can. If not, you will need to make the transition over to Broadband Access with VZW. I would call just to make sure and to get any other questions in there before you make the purchase though.
    10-11-09 05:44 PM
    Ok, i must be having trouble getting my question across.
    I am a former alltel customer acquired by Verizon.
    I have a data plan.
    I have a UM175AL usb data card. It is connected to a cyfre routuer. Both were bought thru alltel.
    I am having connection issues.
    Verizon cannot help as they do not support this setup.
    I am NOT under contract.
    I need an alternative.
    I do not want to change my plan from Alltel plan to Verizon.

Does that help? When i have talked to Sales Rep in the store, they aren't helpful, as they are trying to get me into a new verizon contract with new verizon equipment.
    Last edited by Ter1990; 10-11-09 at 05:55 PM.
    10-11-09 05:50 PM
    O geez-us.....

Ok try this then. If your card works plugged into your computer directly, call Cyfre. Because the modem works just not your wireless set up. If the modem does not work and you were told already that you need to update your plan then there you go.
    10-11-09 05:57 PM
    My appologies for being so difficult. I didn't realize i was being confusing.
    I was just wanting to know some options so i would not have to change over to a capped plan.
    I have called Verizon and Cyfre. Verizon can't help, Cyfre says to call Verizon.
    All i need to know is if the verizon device is compatible with my current alltel data plan.
    No one has told me that i have to update my plan. Although the sales people at the store tell me everytime i go in that i am eligible for an upgrade and try to sell me a new device (i assume because they get something for signing contracts). I asked here because i would like an answer from someone who isn't trying to sell me something.

Thanks for your patience and your assistance. I will keep my current configuration as it and try to make due.
    10-11-09 06:07 PM
    Call Verizon. Does that help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 06:09 PM
    Honestly? No
    I thought this was a help forum, so i asked for help. Most times help is readily available here. I thought i was asking a simple question that would save me the hassle of calling in and having to go thru all the troubleshooting again.
    I have called a couple of times, but my configuration isn't supported since the merger and no one has been able to assist me.
    I have gotten helpful responses here for many issues, usually thru search alone. I thought i could just get a simple answer. Obviously i said something wrong and i am being treated like a dip****.
    So i appologized in my last post and will do so again.
    i am sorry for asking such a complicated question and for saying whatever it is i said to sound like an *****. It was no intended as such.
    As i said, i will continue to use my configuration however frustrating it is.

Again, i thought it was a simple question as to whether Verizon equipment works with a currently active alltel data plan. I am sorry for the sarcasm above where i said i pay for it each month, meaning that it is active on my account but not working properly.
    I was with Alltel for many years and have many questions as to what can and cannot be done on Verizon. The reps i speak with are also confused because in my area, they were alltel prevously and are as confused as the customers. I frequently go into my store and have a very good rapport with the reps there. I am a phone junkie, and i buy many things at full retail. I have no problem doing that in this situation if i cannot do what i am asking. I would just like to know before i get roped into something i don't have to.
    i have been told many things that are not true by sales reps and have ended up getting the raw end of the deal. That is why i come here and weed thru things to do some of my own research first. I know i cannot believe everything here, but i know there are some very trusted sources here. Most of the time if i cannot get a confirmed answer, i can at least be pointed in the right direction.

My sincerest appologies for being such a ******.
    Thread can be closed.
    Thanks
    10-11-09 06:56 PM
    I am looking for a solution to my data connection.

I wasn't aware that the device itself has a cap.

I was simply wondering if the verizon device would be compatible with my current plan (alltel). If so, i can just get the verizon device to use so i don't have the problem with having my data card run thru a router which i cannot get support to fix.

If i have to change over to a Verizon plan to get my data to work, i will continue to try to find a working solution to my current setup. If the device itself (as per your question) has a 5 GB cap, then i will also keep my current configuration. I was told that you could use a Verizon phone on an alltel plan (but not the other way around), so i was wondering if the same applied for the data plan/device.

Thank you.
    I am also an Alltel customer, using a Starcom USB data modem. However, I am not using a router for multiple devices. I stopped into a Verizon store out of town and asked them if I bought a MiFi device, would it work with my current Starcom modem, and was told 'NO'.
    In other words, I'd have to sign onto a contract with Verizon for their broadband service in order to use their MiFi device, and with the 5GB cap.

I probably won't...and stick with my Alltel device and unlimited data.
    10-11-09 07:44 PM
    I am also an Alltel customer, using a Starcom USB data modem. However, I am not using a router for multiple devices. I stopped into a Verizon store out of town and asked them if I bought a MiFi device, would it work with my current Starcom modem, and was told 'NO'.
    In other words, I'd have to sign onto a contract with Verizon for their broadband service in order to use their MiFi device, and with the 5GB cap.

I probably won't...and stick with my Alltel device and unlimited data.
    Thanks for the answer. That is what i was wondering.

But i think the MiFi wouldn't need to work with your starcom modem. i have been reading about it on the Verizon site and it should work as your connection, only wirelessly. That is why i was wanting to use it as i wouldn't have to have the router/data card setup.
    I could just use the one device and i could do my work on my laptop and my son and daughter could do their schoolwork on theirs. Then we could all be connected instead of having to pass around the wireless card and wait our turn. I have one in College taking online classes, one in HS doing research, and then i connect to my work to catch up after hours when our clinic is closed. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now, so i don't know what to do, but i was sure hoping that this device would help me out.
    10-11-09 08:49 PM
    If I can remember correctly...

Data only devices are exceptions to the "Alltel device on Verizon plan."

By that I mean I believe if you were to get the MiFi, you would need a Verizon plan...
    10-12-09 05:06 AM
    A lot of times these questions can be answered but right now with the vzw/alltel transition reps are learning things in real-time. Today's trainings are diff than yesterdays. I would give vzw a call and see if they have any info that can help you.
    10-12-09 08:01 AM
    Thanks Blue,
    That's what i was talking about with the reps i have spoken with here. They really are unsure.
    That's why i thought asking here might be a start. I will call them this coming weekend when i have time to go thru all the troubleshooting again.

TYVM
    10-12-09 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD