05-13-09 03:58 PM
57 123
tools
    I have been a Verizon customer for two years now and my contract was almost up so last Wednesday (05/06) I renewed. I went from a the 900 minute single plan with unlimited text ($79/month) to a 700 minute family share plan with the BlackBerry package on two phones ($99/month and two $29.99 BlackBerry data /month). I asked the guy at the Verizon store should I wait until the April-May bill cycles over before I renew my contract and he replied "it's all prorated you have nothing to worry about." Well today I get my bill from April 7 - May 6 and I'm pretty pissed. I guess his definition of "prorated" was subtracting my $79 phone bill and tacking on $99 and two $29.99 BlackBerry data plans. So in a nutshell, I'm paying all these charges for having two phones for 7 hours on that billing cycle since it reset on May 7th. Needless to say my phone bill that should be roughly $159 a month is $226 when I was told that my first $159 bill could be on the May 7 - June 6 bill. Oh did I mention I specifically told him I don't want insurance on either phone and he went ahead and added it? I left Verizon thinking I got a pretty good deal but after viewing my bill I'm thinking the only thing else they could of added is a reach around. I wrote Verizon an email and received a phone call an hour later. To sum up this 15 minute phone call the lady said "oh well he should of told you that" and "you should of asked for him to future plan it." Seriously? As a typical customer I'm supposed to walk into a Verizon store and when he says I'll prorate your phone bill I'm supposed to say "no that's not necessary go ahead and future plan it." She basically just came up with excuses for a salesman who lied to a loyal customer. I am absolutely furious with Verizon and I've always had nothing but good to say about this company. I think tonight I'm going to restore both phones, get everything boxed up, go in there tomorrow and tell him where they can stick them. I've had both phones for 5 days now so hopefully they don't try to push any extra charges on me but hey after everything that has happened I wouldn't put it past them. I love this BlackBerry but in all honesty it's not worth it. I would rather just go to AT&T and get the most basic plan and phone and put all this Verizon BS behind me. Anyone else have an experience like this?
    05-11-09 04:54 PM
    Fisrt off sorry this happened. Second we appreaciate input about your eperience. Third we can do nothing about it here and you should call VZW CS for an explination of your bill and if anything can be done, they will help you out 800-922-0204
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-11-09 at 05:00 PM.
    05-11-09 04:57 PM
    Fisrt off sorry this happened. Second we appreaciate input about your eperience. Third we can do nothing about it here and should call VZW CS for an explination of your bill and if anything can be done, they will help you out 800-922-0204

Thanks for your reply. I already talked to the 800 number and the lady just defended the employee's deceiving tactics. I'm not really expecting anyone to do anything about it here. I just wanted to see if other people have experienced this and what their thoughts are.
    05-11-09 04:59 PM
    GOt ya, best of luck - I would also toalk to the store manager about your experience. Was this corporate store or indirect store?
    05-11-09 05:02 PM
    It was a corporate store.
    05-11-09 05:03 PM
    Sounds like a rough time. I do know you're not the only one this has happened to. Kinda sounds like Sprint stories from the bad old days.

I hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction. Good luck!
    05-11-09 05:10 PM
    I would personally call again. Sometimes it takes a little bit of persistance to get your way!
    05-11-09 05:17 PM
    Will I have to pay an early termination fee if I cancel now? I read up on Verizon's contract and to my understanding you can cancel and return your phone(s) up to 30 days? To be completely honest, I don't even care if they charge me $35 a phone to restock just as long as I never have to deal with this again.
    05-11-09 05:17 PM
    Man that sucks. You would think they would work it all out being that this happened the day before the start of a new billing period.

I'd call or go into a corporate store and ask to speak with a manager. If that doesn't work try their retentions department.
    05-11-09 05:31 PM
    This could happen at any carrier - inept employees work at all of them. Getting 'pissed' won't get you anywhere except no service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 05:38 PM
    Thanks again for the replies/advice. I showed the lady respect that I spoke to earlier and honestly tried to understand the charges. I wouldn't tell them to stick the phones I was just getting across how pissed I am. I know customer service deals with people who nit pick on a daily basis and they're just tryijng to do their jobs. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

05-11-09 05:51 PM
    I hope you get it resolved, that is a major bummer to be a loyal customer and they do that to you....I know the feeling, Sprint did that to me yrs ago, fortunately things have been better...I'm sure they will want to keep you as a customer and work it out....Good Luck to ya!
    05-11-09 06:04 PM
    Let me say, again, that those of us who are honest are sincerely sorry this happened to you. It is not an approved practice in the West Area and I would assume the rest of the country dissaproves of it too. Please, Please take the following steps for resolution:

1. Please call the 800 number and calmly ask for a supervisor.
    No need to speak with a supervisor, a customer service rep will be able to do anything a supervisor can do.

2. Explain that you were not told that you could future date a rate plan change and that you would have done so had you only known.
    You can't future date a rate plan when you're adding a line of service. The only way to not have had "prorates" would have been to add the line of service and Blackberry data features on the bill cycle date.

3. Explain that you are aware that you do owe some monies for the service you did use.
    4. Ask, politely, if they will adjust your bill as a courtesy to help ensure customer loyalty

5. If Financial Services will not play ball retentions will. They exist solely to keep you from walking out on Verizon
    Financial Services only set up promise to pays and they take payments. They don't go over billing issues or disputes, that would be customer service.

I promise you that telling anyone where to stick a BlackBerry will only cause you more trouble. If you listen to my advice, you will get the matter resolved to your satisfaction
    To the OP, did you review your bill? Why is it higher than expected? Did you guys go over your prorated minutes? Did you get charged an activation fee as well for the new line of service? I know you said you only had the Blackberry's for a week, were you aware that you are billed a month in advance for services? So, adding a Blackberry, you would have been charged for the couple of days you had the data plan during your last billing period, then the full month in advance charge $29.99 per line...
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 05-11-09 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Fixed Spelling
    05-11-09 06:16 PM
    I don't know but it sounds to me like there are some details missing from the op's story because it doesn't all add up. There are some discrepancies in them thar numbers.

05-11-09 06:18 PM
    I don't know but it sounds to me like there are some details missing from the op's story because it doesn't all add up. There are some discrepancies in them thar numbers.

They charged me $99 + 29.99 for April to May. Then charged another $99 + 29.99 for May to June. 4.99 per phone for insurance that I declined on. He waived activation not sure how much it was exactly but it was still on my bill. I got the phones on the 6th and bill cycled on the 7th but he claimed the phones would be prorated for a day. I didn't realize prorated meant throw on a months worth of family plan and BlackBerry service for 1 day worth of usage.

05-11-09 06:32 PM
    They charged me $99 + 29.99 for April to May. Then charged another $99 + 29.99 for May to June. 4.99 per phone for insurance that I declined on. He waived activation not sure how much it was exactly but it was still on my bill. I got the phones on the 6th and bill cycled on the 7th but he claimed the phones would be prorated for a day. I didn't realize prorated meant throw on a months worth of family plan and BlackBerry service for 1 day worth of usage.

Two $99 charges? It almost sounds like your new plan was backdated. Did you recieve a credit for your old calling plan? And two $29.99 charges? Are you sure? I'm not sure how you could be billed for the $29.99 for April to May when you didn't even have a Blackberry. Seems strange. Are you sure you're reading the bill right?
    05-11-09 06:35 PM
    Two $99 charges? It almost sounds like your new plan was backdated. Did you recieve a credit for your old calling plan? And two $29.99 charges? Are you sure? I'm not sure how you could be billed for the $29.99 for April to May when you didn't even have a Blackberry. Seems strange. Are you sure you're reading the bill right?

They deducted my $79 charge for April to May. I went over the bill with the lady on the 800 number and she really couldn't explain half the charges to me. Well she tried to but honestly it didn't make sense. What is upsetting is I asked the sales rep about this and he bs'd me. Then the insurance deal? Did he not think I was going to look at my bill?

05-11-09 06:47 PM
    Did he not think I was going to look at my bill?

It is truely amazing how many people do not look at their bills.
    05-11-09 06:51 PM
    If I may, is not customer care that you need to be talking to. You need to talk to either Financial Services or Customer Loyalty (retentions). I don't know that retentions would wipe out the entire bill but the do have the ability to adjust the billing issue to keep you a satisfied customer.

Speaking soley for myself, that sales consultant should be termintated. ALL RATE PLAN CHANGES CAN BE FUTURE DATED TO THE NEXT BILL CYCLE DATE TO AVOID THIS EXACT PROBLEM
    You can not future date a calling plan change while activating a phone. It does not work. You would have to activate, then switch the plan or future date it. If he was adding a line/changing to a data plan or changing from single lines to FS this would have to be on demand or backdated. Who knows, maybe an on demand PP would have meant minute overages depending on the proration.

Also, there is no retentions department anymore. CS disconnects lines.

I'm sorry this happened, I would like to clarify though. You went in like a day ro two before your bill cycle and wanted to change plans/add-a-line and you were backdated to the beginning of your previous bill cycle when you weren't even using the data/phones?

The rep may have done this a) because it's easier or b) because changing your plan on demand may have caused overages. Without knowing how many minutes you were at during the change and/or looking at the bill I would not be able to tell. Your best bet is to either go talk to the rep/the reps manager or call 611. Explain to them you were not even using your data during that time and you did not want it backdated (if you were right before your bill cycle that would make sense).

Be polite & respectful and it will get you farther than being disrepsectul.
    05-11-09 07:00 PM
    Appreciate it. I was at roughly 650 minutes for April - May if that makes a difference. Still under for either plan.

05-11-09 07:04 PM
    Even though you are under plan a prorate also prorates the minutes. This can cause overages.
    05-11-09 07:06 PM
    Even though you are under plan a prorate also prorates the minutes. This can cause overages.
    It didn't show any overages on my bill though.

05-11-09 07:09 PM
    I went over the bill with the lady on the 800 number and she really couldn't explain half the charges to me. Well she tried to but honestly it didn't make sense.
    The call would not have ended until I fully understood the charges and it made sense. If she couldn't explain properly, then I would have kindly asked for someone who could. I've NEVER had a VZW CS Rep who didn't have patience and didn't treat me with respect. (And I have been with VZW for about 8 yrs) They have even removed activation charges that were supposed to be waived....and they can credit the insurance charges.

Call back...kindly ask for a full explaination until you understand.
    05-11-09 07:21 PM
    They charged me $99 + 29.99 for April to May. Then charged another $99 + 29.99 for May to June. 4.99 per phone for insurance that I declined on. He waived activation not sure how much it was exactly but it was still on my bill.
    $99 + $29.99 for April to May, and you said minus the $79.99
    The price plan was backdated and you were charged the $20 difference

You're always billed a month in advance, which is the $99 + 29.99 for May to June

If the activation fee was waived but still got charged then go back to the store and talk to the person who sold you the phone

Doesnt sound like that big of a deal.

And, when I left the store with my phones everything was on the receipt - did you not notice the activation fee and insurance on there? No offense, but sure they should have checked but you should have as well.
    05-11-09 07:54 PM
    It didn't show any overages on my bill though.

That's because your plan was backdated. So in effect you had those minutes the whole month. Say he had changed it when you went in.

Example.

You're on a 900 minute plan and your bill cycle date is 7. That means from 4/8-5/7 you're allowed 900 minutes. Our billing system though is daily so we take 900/30 = 30 minutes a day. Now say you change your calling plan fifteen days into your bill cycle. This means you were allowed 450 minutes for those 15 days, now say you're at 500 minutes. To you that means you're not over but that would mean you would be over 50 minutes and would be charged for that overage.
    05-11-09 08:09 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD