Hello all,

I want to get the Tour and while my Storm has been nice, I do not think it is the best phone for me, as much as I try to believe that it is.

My dilemma: Since I renewed my contract in November when the Storm came out, I am not eligible for an upgrade until Nov 2010, however, I would like the Tour now.

My question: Could I sign up for an additional 2 years now and qualify to get the Tour at the upgrade price? Essentially I am renewing my contract early...is that possible?
    07-06-09 01:48 PM
    No

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-06-09 02:08 PM
    ^^^^^^^no.
    07-06-09 02:40 PM
    What you can do is add a $9.99 ghost line, essentially "financing" the device, to get the Tour at the 2 year pricing. But when it comes to just renewing your current lines, it is impossible.
    07-06-09 02:43 PM
    I know someone who has three extra lines because he wants to have three upgrade dates.
    07-06-09 02:47 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Wouldn't it just be easier rather than having so many ghost lines to just be a VIP member and get a new phone yearly?
    07-06-09 03:13 PM
    If you have 4 lines you get a ne2 subsidy every 6 months

07-06-09 03:30 PM

Um...what?
    07-06-09 03:49 PM
    What you can do is add a $9.99 ghost line, essentially "financing" the device, to get the Tour at the 2 year pricing. But when it comes to just renewing your current lines, it is impossible.
    But you would need a phone to attach to the extra line - and if that is a BlackBerry, you'll also get a second data charge. Then, if going from a single line to family line, it isn't just $9.99 - it is a base plan increase of $20, too.

It gets pretty expensive trying to get around paying an extra $100 or so.

Having extra lines for NE2 doesn't make much sense at all - in the course of the contract, you can pay far more than you saved.

07-06-09 03:51 PM

ummmmmm.... no.
    07-06-09 03:56 PM
    Um...what?
    ummmmmm.... no.
    Ummmmmmmmm......yes.

Think about it... Its simple....

You have 4 lines for yourself......3 dummy lines.... you added one every 6 months after the original purchase....

It actually comes out to having a ne2 subsidy every 5 months
    07-06-09 08:47 PM
    Why would you want 3 lines paying $35 a month so you get a discount every 6 months?

That's paying $630 to "save" about $400. Not clear on your math there.

07-06-09 10:04 PM
    I know someone who has three extra lines because he wants to have three upgrade dates.
    That makes him an *****!
    07-06-09 10:10 PM
    Never said I did it or recommended anyone else to. Weekendbum made a cooment about someone with three extra lines for this purpose. The OP stated you could just get an annual upgrade.....

I was merely trying to explain weekendbum's friend's logic...... Flawed as it may be

I already said in the get me the tour thread that its significantly cheaper in the long run to pay full retail than it is to add a line to get the subsidized price.
    Last edited by Jim from NW Pa; 07-06-09 at 10:13 PM.
    07-06-09 10:11 PM
    Ummmmmmmmm......yes.

Think about it... Its simple....

You have 4 lines for yourself......3 dummy lines.... you added one every 6 months after the original purchase....

It actually comes out to having a ne2 subsidy every 5 months
    No, you don't. Only the primary line on a family share gets the NE2 credit. The secondary lines are eligible for a standard upgrade every twenty months. So you are half right in that if you spread the lines out like that they will come up for upgrade every few months, only one line (the primary) gets the credit. That is unless someone is dumb enough to open dummy individual lines and overpay for each line of service just to get a NE2 credit....
    07-07-09 11:17 AM
    Since when does only the primary get a credit

07-07-09 12:17 PM
    Since when does only the primary get a credit

Since always. The other lines still get the upgrade price, just no NE2 credit.
    07-07-09 12:51 PM
    Really? I have never been on a family share.... Had my own account since I got a phone on my 18th birthday. Always just assumed that when the parents upgraded my sister's phone they were getting ne2 as they always picked out nice expensive phones..... But I have come to expect that for the favorite

07-07-09 01:00 PM
    And that's the way it's always been, as snork mentioned.

To the OP, if you are a VIP customer, you'll be eligible for an early upgrade in November, I believe.

Twins or Weekend, are VIP customers eligible for early upgrade after 10 months like an annual contract customer, or 12 months? Can't quite remember and I'm not at work today..

07-07-09 01:00 PM
    Forever. Secondary lines are only ever eligible for standard upgrades, they have never received New Every 2 credits.
    07-07-09 01:13 PM
    And that's the way it's always been, as snork mentioned.

To the OP, if you are a VIP customer, you'll be eligible for an early upgrade in November, I believe.

Twins or Weekend, are VIP customers eligible for early upgrade after 10 months like an annual contract customer, or 12 months? Can't quite remember and I'm not at work today..

Annual upgrade is after 12 months.
    07-07-09 01:15 PM
    Thanks, wasn't sure if VIP's were after 12 months or not..

Long day. And it's not even 1:30PM! Jebus!

07-07-09 01:25 PM
    No worries. The 10 month cycle is only on one-year contracts.
    07-07-09 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD