02-19-10 07:31 AM
50 12
tools
    01-03-10 05:44 PM
    Why is this Sticky'd?...
    01-03-10 05:48 PM
    Why is this Sticky'd?...
    +1. I was wondering exactly the same. This "issue" (really, a non-issue), has been addressed beyond death. All that stickying it will do it cause more foaming at the mouth and false outrage. You pay for a service. You don't pay for the right to dictate with whom, or (generally) under what conditions VZW conducts its business.

Honestly people, is hiding the freaking icon THAT damn hard? Bookmark and/or made google your homepage. Or go to a different carrier. Either way doesn't affect me or my opinion of my phone, my service, or VZW. Again, why the **** is this sticky'd?
    01-03-10 06:07 PM
    +1. I was wondering exactly the same. This "issue" (really, a non-issue), has been addressed beyond death. All that stickying it will do it cause more foaming at the mouth and false outrage. You pay for a service. You don't pay for the right to dictate with whom, or (generally) under what conditions VZW conducts its business.

Honestly people, is hiding the freaking icon THAT damn hard? Bookmark and/or made google your homepage. Or go to a different carrier. Either way doesn't affect me or my opinion of my phone, my service, or VZW. Again, why the **** is this sticky'd?
    Why don't you quit complaining about this, you ***** here and then go create another thread about it. You are just as bad as the people who do complain about it and it's getting to be tiresome to see it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-10 06:49 PM
    My two cents: I don't understand why this particular thread got Stickied either. The main thread, "Bing the Only Available Search Engine" (with 790 posts) seems a heck of a lot more relevant. A lot of people are still upset about VZW making the sucky BB Browser just a little more suckier.

And I could care less about the pushed icon. Just hide the dang thing. That's not the issue.
    01-03-10 10:16 PM
    google is still my browser I haven't downloaded the Bing Verizon has signed a contract with Microsoft they told me when I called them about the icon
    01-03-10 11:12 PM
    I haven't had this problem with my BB Tour. Is this only on the Storm?
    I still have Google, Live Search, Wiki, and Dictionary.com as available search options. I did see the BING install icon pushed to my BB, but i just hid it.
    01-04-10 02:40 PM
    Why is this still sticky'd?
    01-06-10 11:50 PM
    Yea Verizon way too go...... highest cost for service and you can **** off your loyalist and still continue.... you rock
    01-07-10 12:41 PM
    Options> Advanced> Applications> then delete Bing.

You will still have the icon, there is NO way to permantely get rid of it. You must have installed the app because the icon doesn't take up that much space. Just hid the icon once you delete it.
    I was trying to get rid of bing too!! Thank you so much!
    01-07-10 10:23 PM
    Here is a new one... the bing app downloaded "images" (that i cant see) to my media...do i have to delete them one by one is there a faster and easier way to get rid of all of them at once???
    Last edited by lutkica2580; 01-07-10 at 10:36 PM.
    01-07-10 10:33 PM
    New here so forgive the post if someone has covered it.

To remove Bing from, in my case a Verizon 8330, you need to:
    1) unistall the program from the Applications menu
    2) go into Options>Advanced Options>Service Book. Remove Bing's service book.
    Ba-da-BING no more! (yeah, my wife figured it out and showed me). Hope this helps.
    Thank you! Ths worked too! no more bing icon!
    01-07-10 10:35 PM
    Anyone know why bing was pushed?
    01-08-10 12:19 AM
    I had the same problem, bing was automatically installed on my bb tour 9630 I tried to hide the icon, and it kept re-appearing after I hide it, so after removing a few things I didn't use, thru the desktop manager, I figured how to completely remove it!
    I had to fully install"bing" them waited bout half an hour them hooked it up to desktop manager and went to applications and was able to fully remove "bing" from my bb!! Hiding unused icons like AIM, google talk, freed up additional memory!

01-08-10 01:42 AM
    Perhaps we're going about this the wrong way -- Rather than begging Verizon to remove BING, perhaps we should all get together and run programs continually searching BING until they beg us to stop.
    01-19-10 05:15 PM
    I just never installed the app, put the app in my hidden "stuff folder" along everything else I don't use ,LoL . Vzw can't force you to use it At least they can't make me on my 8330 and from what I read ,,,,can't on the other models either unless you want to use it .
    01-20-10 06:36 AM
    To remove Bing from my Verizon Curve 8330:

1) unistall the program from the Applications menu
    2.)Using File Scout file mgr. I found Bing in the directory and deleted it there
    3) Go into Options>Advanced Options>Service Book. Remove Bing's service book.

Hope this helps

EZ.Ridr
    02-18-10 10:37 AM
    Sounds like a good idea for an app, somebody should write an app that gives you a check list of everything in your service books. Whatever you uncheck it should delete from your service books and run in the background or at startup so every time you reboot it runs through your service books and deletes everything you don't want. CrapBeGone or something like that
    02-18-10 12:20 PM
    Just when you though BING arrived and is complained about Skype is on its way!
    02-18-10 05:44 PM
    Just when you though BING arrived and is complained about Skype is on its way!
    Skype is actually a good service though that works as intended. And I don't believe people will be upset if it's on the phone. You don't hear people complaining about other icons that are on their phone.

See, for the most part bing is a USELESS search engine as most often it doesn't bring the search results the user was looking for. You end up with everything Microsoft wants you to see, overall it's just garbage. Hard to beat google as even yahoo is fairly sub-par to google.
    02-18-10 06:34 PM
    Skype is actually a good service though that works as intended. And I don't believe people will be upset if it's on the phone. You don't hear people complaining about other icons that are on their phone.

See, for the most part bing is a USELESS search engine as most often it doesn't bring the search results the user was looking for. You end up with everything Microsoft wants you to see, overall it's just garbage. Hard to beat google as even yahoo is fairly sub-par to google.
    I agree with your assessment of the apps. I am refering more to those that argue that things are being pushed at all. For me, I do not care as I just hide them as they take up no room. But it would be nice rather than pushing apps, if a carrier would send you message with a link and then if you want the offering then get it.
    02-18-10 06:41 PM
    Don't ask me how or why but it this did happen. About 2 weeks ago I dropped my phone, and my browser icon disappeared and I had no network connection. I do regular backups, and restored my phone to an earlier setting. This did not correct the problem. I went to my local Verizon store and explained what happened. They showed me how to re-register my network connections. Ever since then the "bing" icon has disappeared from my phone. It is not hidden, it still appears in my service books and if I restore my phone my phone to an earlier date it appears. I've done several battery pulls over the last few weeks and I have been waiting for it to be pushed back to my phone, but alas no "bing"
    02-18-10 07:17 PM
    I agree with your assessment of the apps. I am refering more to those that argue that things are being pushed at all. For me, I do not care as I just hide them as they take up no room. But it would be nice rather than pushing apps, if a carrier would send you message with a link and then if you want the offering then get it.
    I agree wholeheartedly, raid.
    02-18-10 07:29 PM
    The elegant way.....
    Create a folder -> "unused"
    Move all unwanted crap icons into it.
    BB Key -> Hide "unused"

Never see them again.
    02-18-10 08:25 PM
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Okay, so here I am sitting watching the news at 6:25 AM MST. What do I hear? The government has approved a partnership between Microsoft and Yahoo. This will allow Yahoo to use MS Bing technology, so both can catch up and try to compete with Google.

This should be fun.

PS - For those like links and more info, here you go.
    02-19-10 07:31 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD