I have an unlocked Tour that I wnat to use with Orange Data services while I am away for a number of months in London. I will pu tmy Verizon account on"suspend."

It appears in order to do this I need my PIN released from Verizon so I can register my phone with Orange. I just spoke to Verizon Global services and the supervisor was insistent that it is their policy never to release the PIN. It was a very frustating conversation. Any suggestions of who to contact at Verizon or "success" stories in getting the PIN released from Verizon.

Thanks

Eagle2
    12-16-09 11:01 AM
    Call them back, and speak with a supervisor. It should be no problem to get the PIN released. Tell them you will be getting your own SIM while away. Let them know (and you know also) that this will cause you to have a different number for that period, and you are ok with that. You may also be able to get the PIN released yourself at the Verizon BIS site https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
    12-16-09 11:31 AM
    Hmmm interesting. VZW really doesnt want to let someone go to another carrier temporarily?

I would suggest calling over and over till someone does it. There is no reason they shouldn't do it...
    12-16-09 04:38 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I will call Verizon back, but I have tried this twice and gotten the same response -- indeed the second time quite an unfriendly "we do not do this and it does not matter that it can be done." This was from a supervisor in Global Services.

An alternative that occurred after doing some research was to log into the Verizon BIS site and 'transfer" my BIS account to a different Pin (phone). I think that would release my current PIN and then I could reverse the process at Orange and Verizon when I come back. I can get a used Verizon BB off Ebay for about $15-20 and it may be worth it to me to do this rather than continuing to hassle with Verizon.

Anybody have any idea whether this would work?
    12-16-09 05:45 PM
    Yes I believe that idea would work.
    12-16-09 07:32 PM
    I know this is a tangent, but how is it that VZW hasn't been able to secure a better calling arrangement with Vodafone properties?
    12-16-09 07:54 PM
    I know this is a tangent, but how is it that VZW hasn't been able to secure a better calling arrangement with Vodafone properties?
    Good question... Voda owns 45% of Verizon, you would think that they would have better rates...
    12-17-09 01:25 AM
    If they gave better rates, they wouldn't be r8ping you.
    Charge what you can, while you can. Fee market, oh, I meant free market.
    12-17-09 06:28 PM
    If they gave better rates, they wouldn't be r8ping you.
    Charge what you can, while you can. Fee market, oh, I meant free market.
    I beleive that sooner or later, later I'm sure, international long distance will be cheaper. It wasn't that long ago that you had to pay a lot just to call out side your city or state.
    12-17-09 06:59 PM
    I beleive that sooner or later, later I'm sure, international long distance will be cheaper. It wasn't that long ago that you had to pay a lot just to call out side your city or state.
    It's different from a cell phone perspective because of the mobility factor. The ratio of local to international trunks, routing and maintaining calls is far more complex if you're moving. Granted, it's not an issue if you aren't moving, but the costs involved are far more dynamic.

In terms of international roaming however, considering the relationship with VZW and Vodafone, it's a different model. VZW should be able to negotiate aggressive rates with its part owner, who would get the revenue stream no matter what.

Currently, VZW sub goes to UK, pays $1.99, $1.29 or $.99 whatever it is per minute. What could be instead is, VZW could add a prorated $40/mo local-in/out-only calling on top of a a global data plan, etc. Enabling International calling services while int'l roaming, add $50/150min, etc. The marketing people could figure out the math.

Tie in the convenience factor, and that feature sells. Period. For highly mobile, affluent business people, it remains enabled, that's a lot of excess revenue that VZW could pursue....

For the short trip, it's not worth it, is it worth it if you can prorate the service for a 10-14 day (or longer) trip overseas? You may end up paying more on the front end, but, all you had to do was make one phone call to enable the feature and you're done. No messing with SIMs, remembering a new local number, etc...

...just ideas spinning around my head...
    12-17-09 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD