I wanted to post this real quick before I forget to ask and then search......

So I will be going to Atlantis in August for a week and will go on the Global plan for that period.

Normally, I have data set to "off when roaming".

When on the global plan, am I Roaming? If so, I would need to reset my data setting, right?

Thanks for your help!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 07:25 AM
    I spent 2 weeks in the UK and used Verizon's global data and voice - I didn't have any roaming data charges, but I had a ****-load of roaming voice charges that I didn't expect. Funny thing is I never noticed the triangle on my phone at all while I was there. - Roaming voice was about $1.00/minute and since I was traveling with some hs students who were calling their parents, it was about $150.00 worth of roaming.
    07-19-10 08:05 AM
    But my question still is this: If you are on the global plan, are you technically still roaming? If so, then I would need to change my usual roaming setting so that the data can work. Easy enough to find out when I am on.

I know phone calls could cost, but I only would be accepting calls from certain folks in an emergency situation (family, kennels, etc.).
    07-19-10 08:34 AM
    Until someone answers, I suggest you try with roaming OFF when you first arrive and if it works - fine. If not, then turn roaming ON. I don't recall from a year ago if I was or was not roaming for my 3 weeks.

And reduced charges for phone calls is an additional $5/month.
    07-19-10 08:54 AM
    No, if you are on the global data plan, you are not roaming.
    07-19-10 09:50 AM
    You are roaming but it would not cost you anything with the data plan. Only Voice. So make sure to turn on Data when Roaming, or you will have no data.
    07-19-10 11:08 AM
    What they said - I had no roaming for data, only for SOME voice calls, that's what was weird.
    07-19-10 11:28 AM
    You are roaming but it would not cost you anything with the data plan. Only Voice. So make sure to turn on Data when Roaming, or you will have no data.
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Not roaming from a billing perspective (once on the global plan) but roaming from a technical perspective, and thus needing to have "data services while roaming" set to ON.

My Bold is already unlocked. And though I am not expecting to have to take/recv calls, I figured for the just under 1 week in Atlantis, I might as well be on the Global plan and get my data.
    07-19-10 01:44 PM
    One last follow-up question.....

Calls. I know calls to/from the Bahamas is just under $2 per minute. But that is in fact only for calls to/from there, right? What I guess I am trying to say, then, is once on the Global plan, I can still receive/make calls in the US as normal, right?

I will want to go on the plan a day or two before to make sure everything is working properly......
    07-28-10 09:47 AM
    Yes. While you are here all calls will be based off your current plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-10 10:11 AM
    Great. Thanks!
    07-28-10 01:09 PM
    I got back from spending three weeks in Greece this past Sunday. I had the unlimited international data plan activated for the $65/month. It is pro-rated though, so it's roughly $2/day if you don't last the entire month. What I did was call them a few days before I left and had them future date my account so on midnight of the day I was leaving 1) the plan went into affect, and 2) my SIM card was activated. You must provide them with your SIM card number so it can be activated. After I landed, I turned on my radio with data ON and data while roaming to ON. Network mode also needs to be global. It worked great and it was definitely worth it.
    07-30-10 08:00 PM