My storm 2 died due to water damage, as in I did not realize water had gotten inside the device until it began shutting off constantly one day, then showing a 302 error the next.

So until I can afford a new storm 2, I'm thinking of going with a cheapie dumbphone. I would like to get something that's at least a little bit durable and semi-functional, but I don't need on-board memory, apps, mp3, etc. Just something under or around $50 that won't die easily from a drop. I don't want to have to spend money on replacing phones for a while.

Thanks in advance.
    01-04-10 03:59 PM
    Do you not have an old phone you can activate until your upgrade credit rolls around?

Did you have insurance?

IME, "fair market value" is really high regardless of what you pick for a new phone. You may want to check Craigslist or the marketplace here to see if you can find something that will tide you over.

Personally, I've had pretty good experience with Samsung flip phones and Nokia for basic phones. I've had horrible experience with LG (but that was years ago and I've heard they've improved). My parents went years with Moto RAZRs until they upgraded (they're on AT&T so they jumped on iPhones).
    01-04-10 04:04 PM
    Do you not have an old phone you can activate until your upgrade credit rolls around?

Did you have insurance?

IME, "fair market value" is really high regardless of what you pick for a new phone. You may want to check Craigslist or the marketplace here to see if you can find something that will tide you over.

Personally, I've had pretty good experience with Samsung flip phones and Nokia for basic phones. I've had horrible experience with LG (but that was years ago and I've heard they've improved). My parents went years with Moto RAZRs until they upgraded (they're on AT&T so they jumped on iPhones).
    I've got several GSM phones, but nothing that works on CDMA. Went to vzw specifically for the s2. And I only had the $1.99 insurance, which I now realize doesn't cover much. Ah well, live and learn. I tend to have bad luck with cell phones, so the next nice smart phone will have a nice smart waterproof protector on it.

And yeah, I'll look at a nokia. I used to have one that survived everything but a drop in the kitchen sink.
    01-04-10 04:32 PM
    Honestly, go with anything LG. They are little workhorses and you can pick them up cheap on ebay.
    01-04-10 05:28 PM
    LG is the best for a cell phone that isn't a smartphone
    01-04-10 07:31 PM
    enV3s are rock solid, awesome little phones, I've yet to get a call with a complaint about them. If I wasn't a smartphone addict, I'd have one.
    01-04-10 08:23 PM
    you can get a curve or pearl for like 50 on ebay.....
    01-04-10 08:28 PM
    LG is the best for a cell phone that isn't a smartphone
    I agree. The enV lineup is solid.
    01-04-10 08:35 PM
    LGs are true beat-me-up phones. I'd personally avoid touchscreen dumbphones, since they don't seem as durable as smartphone touchscreens. Things could've changed since I had my Dare 2 yrs ago, but I had screen problems from the very beginning til I gave up on it 6 months later.
    01-05-10 12:11 PM
    My last dump phone was a Samsung Alias, which was pretty damn good little phone. It opened both portrait and landscape and had a full keyboard. It was a pretty smart "dumb" phone. I'd try to find a used one.

OR you might try Verizon, SOMETIMES, they will offer you a deal in cases like this. Just be truthful and ask if there is anything that they can do. They are not required to, but often in these cases they will give you the 1 year price for a new 2 year contract. Expect to pay around 250 for the s2. MUCH better than full retail. IF they do it, and they might.
    01-05-10 02:12 PM
    My father's dare has been passed on to a coworker and it still is running like a champ.
    My wife went through 9 voyagers....but I love LG......

Try the PK way.....it may work.....especially if you sign another two yr deal.
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 01-05-10 at 03:53 PM. Reason: cause I agree with PK.....
    01-05-10 03:53 PM
    The best dumbphone I ever had (and I had plenty...) was the Samsung Alias. I beat the isht out of that phone and it never let me down. It was great for texting too. I still have it and have actually been considering activating it and selling my Storm until the Nexus One comes to VZW Town.
    01-05-10 09:19 PM
    If you are on Verizon and want a free dumb phone PM me if you want. I have a few old ones in my desk.

I will send one out US mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 09:44 PM
    Honestly, go with anything LG. They are little workhorses and you can pick them up cheap on ebay.
    yea lg's are very good phones and you can probably pick one up cheap on ebay
    01-08-10 12:16 AM
    any old (or new) nokia dumbphone is perfect for what you want. easily the most durable phones ive ever had. the moto RAZR an SLVR are good too.
    01-22-10 02:08 PM
    i give you my ex, a nice sharp gx25 and its "homemade 5v usb charging cable" it has plenty midi soundtracks and some nice 240x320 wallpapers that will either make you lol, or rage. oh and a webcam too.
    01-22-10 02:15 PM
    My last dumb phone was an LG 8700, the shiny metal one....great device. Probably quite affordable on eBay.

01-22-10 10:18 PM
    Yes...

I my last dumbphone was also the LG VX8700...

Talk about a durable phone...

I wish more phones felt as durable in your hand as the VX8700... Most of the outside was made out of metal, and it felt as sturdy as any phone I've ever had...
    01-23-10 05:05 AM
    I'm glad everyone else was happy with their LG.. It worked fine mostly, but ultimately led me to getting the Storm. As far as a dumbphone that I was happy with, it would have to be the Sony Ericsson W810i. That phone was pretty customizable for a dumbphone and it worked well even after a few falls in the skatepark..
    01-23-10 05:27 AM
    Check around with some of your friends and work mates. Someone is bound to have a phone lying around for you to borrow until your upgrade.
    01-23-10 09:09 PM
    HAAAAA!!!!!

My LG flip phone does have the external antenna, which you're not supposed to touch while on a call, it says in the owner's manual.
    Of course your not supposed to touch it- you'll get finger cancer! bwah ha ha!

01-23-10 09:27 PM
    The last 'dumb' phone that I had was an LG (LG flip phone to be exact). It was a very nice, reliable, DURABLE phone. I dropped it countless times, nothing wrong with it but bumps and bruises.

My $0.02 = LG phone.
    01-24-10 06:54 PM
    HAAAAA!!!!!

My LG flip phone does have the external antenna, which you're not supposed to touch while on a call, it says in the owner's manual.
    as an electronician , regarding the power emitted by cell phones operating on the GHz scale, i highly recommand the use of a handsfree headset.
    01-29-10 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD