i was told that my storm "being a verizon phone" auto matically looks for verizon tower instead of alltel tower, hence my wifes curve gets better reception in remote areas than my storm does, i was alltel customer and upgraded my phone but doing this i got the storm verizon which is nice but in remote areas it doesnt get near the service as my old curve that my wife adopted and is still using alltel towers where available, i'm guessing and i was told by a rep, is this true and is there a way to fix it? would unlocking it help the issue or would it matter?
    10-01-09 03:33 AM
    I've posted about this a couple of times. I was an alltel customer until I upgraded phones and went to verizon. The verizon signal was awful so after calling CS a bunch of times VZW pushed a hybrid prl to my phone which now makes my verizon phone prefer alltel towers. Fixed my signal issues 110 percent. I haven't had a dropped call or lost signal yet and it stays on 1XEV all of the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 06:01 AM
    i was told that my storm "being a verizon phone" auto matically looks for verizon tower instead of alltel tower, hence my wifes curve gets better reception in remote areas than my storm does, i was alltel customer and upgraded my phone but doing this i got the storm verizon which is nice but in remote areas it doesnt get near the service as my old curve that my wife adopted and is still using alltel towers where available, i'm guessing and i was told by a rep, is this true and is there a way to fix it? would unlocking it help the issue or would it matter?
    Let me first state that I am also a VZW/Alltel customer and do not work for a wireless company. My experience is as a consumer who has been dealing with my own reception issues since the merger. It looks as if your wife is using your old Alltel Curve and you have added the Storm to your account. I am making the assumption you are still on an Alltel plan since the Curve is an Alltel branded device. If so, you should have an Alltel PRL in both phones. It is my understanding that the Alltel PRL will prefer the Alltel towers until tower convergence (if there IS such a thing) is complete. If the Storm does indeed have a VZW PRL, a hybrid PRL may very well fix your problem. If the Curve has an older Alltel PRL that looks for Sprint towers as well, this might be the reason for better reception on that device. Reps on this sight might be able to give you more detailed info on what PRL should be in your devices and whether a hybrid will fix the reception issue on your Storm.
    10-01-09 08:30 AM
    Agreed with i_hiker and gumshoe351. You will probably need to get the Hybrid PRL. Just call in and have us set that up for you.
    10-01-09 10:21 AM
    Agreed with i_hiker and gumshoe351. You will probably need to get the Hybrid PRL. Just call in and have us set that up for you.
    If the OP has a VZW phone and an Alltel plan would he have an Alltel PRL? If yes, would the device look for an Alltel tower first?

10-01-09 12:40 PM
    Hybrd PRL updates are being being done OTA now via *228 option 2 according to my network guy. Give that a try and see if that works before having that PRL pushed to the phone. At least this is the case for the south area.
    10-01-09 04:45 PM
    oh this is great, how do i know what prl i have after doing the update, i have 40055 is that the one? cause service isnt any better.
    10-01-09 06:41 PM
    40055 is a native alltel prl and I believe its their most current. VZW prls start with a 5 and the hybrid start with a 65

10-01-09 07:27 PM
    oh this is great, how do i know what prl i have after doing the update, i have 40055 is that the one? cause service isnt any better.
    What is the current PRL on the Curve?

10-01-09 08:59 PM
    40052 Is On The Curve, And I Had It Done They Do It Every Day At 5pm And She Said Not To Do The *228 Afterwards Or It Would Revert Back To Original, It Didnt Change My Prl So I Called Back And Ask And They Told Me It Wouldnt Change, So Now Im Gonna Check The Reliiabillity. Thanks For All Your Help Guys
    10-06-09 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD