11-11-09 04:04 PM
26 12
tools
    I have a feeling that I won't be able to get an answer to my question, but I am going to try anyway.

There is a Verizon cell phone number that has been sending harrassing texts to my wife (we have Verizon as well). We would like the person to stop but we have no clue who it is. She finally got fed up and replied to one telling them to knock it off and they still continue. I called the number today (*67 of course) and got a generic voicemail. The texts this person is sending contain info that not to many people know and it is really bothering her as to who it is.

Is there anyway I can find out even a first or last name for the phone number? Google searches and reverse phone number searches turn up nothing.
    11-09-09 04:40 PM
    No, there is not without a court order.

Your wife needs to change her number.

You can go to the police but they will most likely just give you instructions to keep a log and save any threatening calls, voicemails and texts. i'm not sure what the police do with this log however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 04:43 PM
    If you want to, you can call into Verizon and the number can be blocked. However, as far as actually obtaining the info pertaining to that number, there really isnt a lot that can be done.
    11-09-09 05:19 PM
    Its such bs how people can get away with some much ****, our justice system is turning into a joke. You should be able to get the info without a warrant
    11-09-09 05:55 PM
    Its such bs how people can get away with some much ****, our justice system is turning into a joke. You should be able to get the info without a warrant
    Thank god we still have a 4th amendment. Here's a scenario. You get friended by someone on FB. You're not sure who she is, but she looks cute so what the ****, right? You try chatting her up but every time you message her she goes off line. So you get pissed, right? You notice that her number's listed on her FB page, but no location or anything. So you just dial up VZW, give them the number and they spew out all of her info to you. (You not meaning this poster, but the general "you".) So this "you" decides hey, with the info VZW gave me I can google map her and figure out exactly where she lives. I can even take a close satellite view of her neighborhood and discover she's on a secluded street that looks pretty remote. This "you" proceeds to head on over to her place and... you finish the hypothetical.

We have privacy laws for a reason.
    11-09-09 06:01 PM
    I agree. All I want to do is be able to leave a voice mail for them telling them "Hey, XXXXX Knock it off." and I am pretty sure they will stop. Their game won't be fun anymore because it won't be them sending anonymous harassing messages.
    11-09-09 06:01 PM
    Thank god we still have a 4th amendment. Here's a scenario. You get friended by someone on FB. You're not sure who she is, but she looks cute so what the ****, right? You try chatting her up but every time you message her she goes off line. So you get pissed, right? You notice that her number's listed on her FB page, but no location or anything. So you just dial up VZW, give them the number and they spew out all of her info to you. (You not meaning this poster, but the general "you".) So this "you" decides hey, with the info VZW gave me I can google map her and figure out exactly where she lives. I can even take a close satellite view of her neighborhood and discover she's on a secluded street that looks pretty remote. This "you" proceeds to head on over to her place and... you finish the hypothetical.

We have privacy laws for a reason.
    I agree with you as well. But All I want to get is even just a first name. VZW doesn't have to spew any details.

Your scenario isn't any different than a VZW person (There are tons of them out there) typing a phone number into their little computer and looking at the name.
    11-09-09 06:06 PM
    I agree. All I want to do is be able to leave a voice mail for them telling them "Hey, XXXXX Knock it off." and I am pretty sure they will stop. Their game won't be fun anymore because it won't be them sending anonymous harassing messages.
    One addition to my prior post: you don't need a warrant, you need a Subpoena. We Subpoena cell phone records all the time. If you really wanted to press it you could go to your county attorney's office and file a harassment complaint. If the county attorney thinks there's sufficient proof to proceed (eg: it actually meets the definition of "harassment" under the law) then he/she can go forward, subpoena the records, figure out who it is, and, conceivably, prosecute her. But when you figure in the dollar cost of your time spent involved in this process it's probably easier to dial 611, explain the situation, and ask for the number to be blocked. OR, there are apps (like Addonis) that allow you to blacklist numbers.) Just trying to problem solve...
    11-09-09 06:07 PM
    I agree with you as well. But All I want to get is even just a first name. VZW doesn't have to spew any details.

Your scenario isn't any different than a VZW person (There are tons of them out there) typing a phone number into their little computer and looking at the name.
    Agreed, but someone has to be able to access records ultimately. I don't know what sort of background check VZW (or other carrier) employees go through, but I'd hope they get screened somehow. Plus, everything they do on the VZW intranet is logged, as I understand it. And all calls are recorded and may be monitored. So it would be a little dicey, but you're point's taken.
    11-09-09 06:09 PM
    Why not just call them from a payphone and see who it is? Maybe they will pick up then. They obviously won't answer a call from a number they are harrassing.

11-09-09 06:17 PM

I felt like I was joining the FBI when I went throught Verizon background check, minus the polygraph. Not only that but everything is logged/recorded. Every button you hit, every screen you click, it's recorded.
    11-09-09 06:45 PM
    Make a report for harassment with your Police Dept. If the case gets forwarded to the Detectives, they'll be able to get a subpoena if they deem it worthy. Log all of the texts you are getting. They won't even give the first name to a police officer without a subpoena.
    11-09-09 10:08 PM
    try buzz off or call blocker apps it may help
    11-09-09 10:13 PM
    I know it's been mentioned already but we can block stuff if you know what phone number it is coming from.

But subpeona or not, I would get the cops involved. The way you make it sound, this person is going beyond prank calling.
    11-09-09 10:57 PM
    have you tried to google tha 10 digit # i do yhat for unkown callers to my cell it works half the time
    11-09-09 11:04 PM
    I would call in to verizon customer service and when they ask what your number is i would give them the number that's been texting you and when they say that's not your number say then who is it... As dumb as that sounds i've done it and it helped me find out a name of a guy who was texting my sister in law... just a thought
    11-09-09 11:14 PM
    jm1389,
    This might help.

Login to MyVerizon.
    Click on the My Services tab.
    On the left hand side, Click Verizon Safeguards.
    Then Spam Controls.
    Note it has 2 tabs.
    To the best of my knowledge, this is a free service from VZW.

If not, I would contact VZW and tell them about receiving harassing text messages and ask what they can do... when I had that problem they offered to change the number free of charge, but I had the number for a year at the time, I am not sure whether that played a factor in their decision.

Best wishes and good luck,
    11-10-09 12:56 AM
    The way I see it, two options:

1. Call VZW and inquire about their policies on abuse of service. File a complaint and see of that gets you anywhere.

2. Contact your local DA or retain a lawyer to get a "cease and desist".

If you choose to take matters into your own hands, you assume those risks.

just .02...

11-10-09 08:55 AM
    jm1389,
    This might help.

Login to MyVerizon.
    Click on the My Services tab.
    On the left hand side, Click Verizon Safeguards.
    Then Spam Controls.
    Note it has 2 tabs.
    To the best of my knowledge, this is a free service from VZW.

If not, I would contact VZW and tell them about receiving harassing text messages and ask what they can do... when I had that problem they offered to change the number free of charge, but I had the number for a year at the time, I am not sure whether that played a factor in their decision.

Best wishes and good luck,
    Hey, I've been looking for this. Spent .5 hr yesterday trying to figure this out.
    11-10-09 09:35 AM
    Why not just call from your wifes phone? They obviously already have the phone number if they are texting her. They will probably answer since they know the number, if they dont leave them a VM anyways.
    11-10-09 10:18 AM
    Try pipl.com since there is now a phone number search you can use. They may have put there name and number on something that is public record that pipl picks up. You can also google cell phone bust. There are companies out there that will bust cell phone numbers for you relatively cheap. They may want proof of who you are though. I work for a repossession company and I skip trace people daily using pay sites such as accurint, locateplus, nexis, and IRB Search. Accurint has a phones plus feature in there that 80% of the time I can get name and 75% of the time get billing address on a person I'm looking for. I use mine for collections since I have a collections license and I get people who are shocked when I pull up in a truck and take there vehicle and they asked how did you find me. I don't tell secrets.

If you know a name try dirtsearch.org
    Blackbookonline.info has a lot of resources listed by state

Nick

11-11-09 05:26 AM
    Get google voice so you never have to give up your real number and can block numbers. This is future advice.
    11-11-09 06:48 AM
    Just a word of caution regarding changing your wife's number. You don't know who is texting you. It might be someone who you consider to be a close friend, so when you notify people of the number change you might inadvertently give the new number to the culprit.

I'd keep the texts in your phone and file a police report. Then I'd contact VZW.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 11-11-09 at 07:56 AM.
    11-11-09 07:45 AM
    I would post their number on any online forum you can find.
    11-11-09 08:16 AM
    Why not post the number here.....we can all call it from anonymous phones at our workplaces and give them a taste of their own medicine.....

Seriously, I would get the cops involved.

I had someone calling my old home number at all kinds of hours. I got sick of it. Called the cops. Last time they called I told them I had now forwarded their information to the police. Never heard from them again.....YMMV.
    11-11-09 01:53 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD