03-01-09 01:40 AM
66 123
tools
    Sad day. I work for VzW and I don't like this change. w/e.

Are you w/ Alltell now? If you are and you have less than four months on your contract your ETF will be waived w/ them.
    This is very true, unless you are in a divested area.
    02-01-09 09:19 AM
    The economic times aren't as bad as we keep hearing.
    Tell that to my pocket book. I have been off work and looking for a job since June. Tell that to the 4500 cessna workers that are being laid off and will now be competing with me for what few jobs there are.

People feel their phones are necessary (they aren't)
    They are a necessity when you don't have a land line or internet and need to be available for job interviews.

That is great if you don't have a monetary care in the world but don't tell those who are really hurting that there is not economic bad times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 11:14 AM
    Vndlewis, I couldn't agree more.

Plus the 36000 circuit city employess, the 34000 home depot employees, the 6000 starbucks employees and the countless otherss.....

02-01-09 11:32 AM
    What's wrong with a land line?
    02-01-09 11:56 AM
    if they want land lines to go away, they def need to lower their prices to something a long the lines of sprints 100$ everything plan cause as it is right now, it just isn't worth losing my house phone for an unlimited voice plan when I have to add 20$ for texting separately, and then another 30$ for data separately! NO THANK U!
    02-01-09 01:05 PM
    the NE2 program is part of the glue that kept me with verizon aside from the VIP program and good customer service. if these rumors r true, then they are going in the wrong direction and I'm jumping ship as well come december!
    02-01-09 01:08 PM
    You don't NEED a cell phone in this time, especially a blackberry if you can't afford it. Why spend 60 bucks minimum a month for a phone line when you could just pay $7 per month for the most basic phone line? Cell phones are still a luxury, plain and simple.

02-01-09 01:15 PM
    where can u get a $7 a month landline cause i sure can't
    02-01-09 01:19 PM
    Verizon. Its their basic plan and price varies from market to market. No bells and whistles. Just plain local exchange calling. No long distance.

02-01-09 01:26 PM
    Ok....if y'all are with VZW before 2/15, you have nothing to worry about right now. You're keeping your NE2 as is right now. It's called a grandfather clause.

Verizon is the only US carrier I know of that has a loyalty program like NE2. ATT, Tmo and Sprint all have nothing like it.
    That is false. I left Sprint where I was a CSR(the kind that actually helped people) and I know for a fact that as a means of begging customers to stay we offered them $150 off any phone so they stay for 2 more years, and people who were eligible had to have been customers for 20 months. VZ offers you 100 off and you stay for 2 years anyway. Whoop dee doooo. I reeeeeallly like Sprint cause theyll do anything to keep customers(Simply Everything for 99.99 with unl minutes, text, data, Sprint TV, Sprint Music, GPS and everything else included), but Verizon is just too damn reliable.
    02-04-09 03:28 AM
    I reeeeeallly like Sprint cause theyll do anything to keep customers(Simply Everything for 99.99 with unl minutes, text, data, Sprint TV, Sprint Music, GPS and everything else included), but Verizon is just too damn reliable.
    Ya they need to offer that low of a rate, so it can substitute for all the dropped calls and crappy reception.

And yes I have been a prior Sprint customer before the Sprint/nextel merge, but what I have heard from my co-workers who have sprint, nothing has changed.

02-04-09 03:48 AM
    You don't NEED a cell phone in this time, especially a blackberry if you can't afford it. Why spend 60 bucks minimum a month for a phone line when you could just pay $7 per month for the most basic phone line? Cell phones are still a luxury, plain and simple.
    I disagree with this. A cell phone is a necessity when one spouse is a soccer official and on the road a lot, or if the only way to contact him at his day job is by cell, or since I can't find a job so I have been traveling back home to help with my family.

A local only land line does us absolutely no good. All our family lives in another state. We don't live in the city, so every call we need to make is long distance.

We have 2 phones on our family plan, local & long distance calling, and internet (BB data) for around $100. We don't have/need the texting. Texting is not a necessity, but a luxury. To my family in my situation, cell phones (my husbands dumb phone and my BB) are necessities and having a land line would only be a luxury.

02-04-09 11:47 AM
    That is false. I left Sprint where I was a CSR(the kind that actually helped people) and I know for a fact that as a means of begging customers to stay we offered them $150 off any phone so they stay for 2 more years, and people who were eligible had to have been customers for 20 months. VZ offers you 100 off and you stay for 2 years anyway. Whoop dee doooo. I reeeeeallly like Sprint cause theyll do anything to keep customers(Simply Everything for 99.99 with unl minutes, text, data, Sprint TV, Sprint Music, GPS and everything else included), but Verizon is just too damn reliable.
    I was told that it was $150 off the full retail price by numerous reps at sprint, which basically equates to just signing a new 2 year contract, and getting the 2yr contract price.

Verizon's NE2 is $50 or $100 off in addition to the 2yr contract price. If you don't care about that, after a year you can upgrade at the 2yr contract price as well, though you won't get the NE2 discount.

02-04-09 11:53 AM
    Verizon's NE2 is $50 or $100 off in addition to the 2yr contract price. If you don't care about that, after a year you can upgrade at the 2yr contract price as well, though you won't get the NE2 discount.
    At least - sometimes it is off of an even lower price.

Sadly, one of the reasons Sprint is able to offer the unlimited plans for so cheap is they have tons of unused bandwidth sitting around. Still, their network traffic continues to drop.

Cheap isn't cheap if it doesn't work for you. It does work for some, but not enough.

02-04-09 03:00 PM
    I think the number 1 thing to remember here is you get what you pay for. But if you are happy with what you have then it is worth the cost. Everything changes, it's just a matter of wether or not you are ready to change.
    02-04-09 03:13 PM
    If you don't like this there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the VzW homepage. I suggest you submit feedback. It gets forwarded to the right department.
    02-04-09 04:05 PM
    Ya they need to offer that low of a rate, so it can substitute for all the dropped calls and crappy reception.

And yes I have been a prior Sprint customer before the Sprint/nextel merge, but what I have heard from my co-workers who have sprint, nothing has changed.

Theyll get better before they get worse Im sure, either way Im with Verizon and dont care about anybody else's carrier issues.
    02-04-09 04:40 PM
    I was told that it was $150 off the full retail price by numerous reps at sprint, which basically equates to just signing a new 2 year contract, and getting the 2yr contract price.

Got me there, I didnt know that.
    02-04-09 04:41 PM
    IF you are a current Verizon customer, these changes don't apply. It's only for any NEW customers that sign up after 2/15/09.

It's called a grandfather clause. Someone else posted this before but were entirely ignored.

The majority of posters here are CURRENT Verizon customers, so while this is upsetting for new customers, it doesn't affect us.
    02-10-09 04:42 PM
    It effects you after your next upgrade .
    02-10-09 04:54 PM
    I disagree with this. A cell phone is a necessity when one spouse is a soccer official and on the road a lot, or if the only way to contact him at his day job is by cell, or since I can't find a job so I have been traveling back home to help with my family.

A local only land line does us absolutely no good. All our family lives in another state. We don't live in the city, so every call we need to make is long distance.

We have 2 phones on our family plan, local & long distance calling, and internet (BB data) for around $100. We don't have/need the texting. Texting is not a necessity, but a luxury. To my family in my situation, cell phones (my husbands dumb phone and my BB) are necessities and having a land line would only be a luxury.

I shudder to think about how we survived in the 50s, 60s & 70s without cell phones.

Oh wait, back then we did neanderthal things like watch/play baseball (soccer was something they did in Europe), spent time outside with the kids, did Boy Scout/Girl Scout things, spent time at church, watched Johnny at night, listened to Cronkite & rolled up our own windows in the car. We hand-wrote (gasp) letters & mailed them to friends & relatives.

Its incredible how soft we've become in such a short period of time.

Cell phones are convenience items, not necessities. It is very possible to get by without cell service. And Playstations. And MP3 players. And computers.

02-10-09 07:00 PM
    I shudder to think about how we survived in the 50s, 60s & 70s without cell phones.

Oh wait, back then we did neanderthal things like watch/play baseball (soccer was something they did in Europe), spent time outside with the kids, did Boy Scout/Girl Scout things, spent time at church, watched Johnny at night, listened to Cronkite & rolled up our own windows in the car. We hand-wrote (gasp) letters & mailed them to friends & relatives.

Its incredible how soft we've become in such a short period of time.

Cell phones are convenience items, not necessities. It is very possible to get by without cell service. And Playstations. And MP3 players. And computers.

Well said....and I'm only 23!

Ooh...and don't forget Franklin Covey/Day Runner planners/calendars for scheduling events, and the good ol' USPS for mail.

I survived through 2003 without having a phone with a lot of minutes. I'm sure others can too.
    02-10-09 07:18 PM
    Well said....and I'm only 23!

Ooh...and don't forget Franklin Covey/Day Runner planners/calendars for scheduling events, and the good ol' USPS for mail.

I survived through 2003 without having a phone with a lot of minutes. I'm sure others can too.
    GOOD OL USPS!?!?! Heck first class letter going up another 2cents to 44 cents soon. just hear this on the news
    02-10-09 07:57 PM
    What's wrong with a land line?
    off topic:
    i live in California. every year the state burns down in the summer and floats away in the winter. in the case of an emergency, land line is usually one of the utilities that is damaged first, since when it rains a lot dirt turns to mud and slides down the hill. VZW can then drive a tower in on the back of a truck (COLT) or on a trailer (COW). I'm serious that's their acronyms. im not making this up. and with the govt discount a lot of firefighters, police, and military personnel use VZW. they use them in place of their issued radios because they dont have the bandwidth to support all of the units in the case of a state emergency. VZW reserves bandwidth in their network for emergency services to use.
    02-11-09 12:02 AM
    Whats wrong with *GASP* NOT getting a new phone every 2 years? Im a recovering technophile and I still have relapses to wanting the latest and greatest phones and gizmos, but I still see people rocking old school gameboy screened Blackberrys and berrys with the track wheel and color screen. Same goes for having to have a new car everytime a new model comes out. Ok that one maybe due to where I grew up in CT, but seriously you NEED a new phone every year? You NEED internet on your fancy phone? What about the library to check emails and do corispondence? You MUST check your email every minute of everyday? Go to the library in the morning and afternoon before they close. If you dont make it the second time it can go in the morning. Its called sacrafice. No one is going to hire you based on if you respond back to them in 30 seconds or 30 hours. The fact is you CAN get by without a cell phone. You just dont WANT to. And its a convenience factor. Its not convenient for me to drive to the library everyday. So? It wasnt conveneint for me to pound the pavement looking for a job but I did it.

That guy that posted we got soft quickly is so right. Just look at the thread where people are complaining about getting raped on a free market contract that they signed. Its pathetic. Take some personal responsibility. There are plenty of voice only call plans that cost 40 bucks a month and you get a free phone. Or buy a pre-pay that you charge up with your own minutes when you use them.

There are so many options out there for people to be complaining that this sucks and that sucks. Yea it does. Deal with it. While I agree that customer/company loyalty needs to be addressed, a company still needs to stay in business in order to even HAVE customers. If they go out of business keeping their customers happy are we supposed to be proud of that behavior? Thats good corporate culture? Driving yourself out of business but your customers are happy? What about your shareholders? They are your next door neighbors. They should lose their money because you want to save yours?

Sorry Im just so fed up with Generation Me. They have been given everything by the Baby Boomers(their parents) who have raised the prices of everything because all they(boomers) care about is money. How many boomers, when you finished college, moved BACK into your parents home for an extended period of time? Did you have the greatest apartment? No. Did you have a ****ty roomate in a too small apartment? Probably. But at least you still had your independence and got a little lesson in growing up and life. Id say that all of my friends moved back home after college. I finished college, got a solid job that paid well above average and I STILL had to move back in with parents. Splitting the rent STILL wouldnt have made it. Could have been due to where I lived, but I wasnt about to move to a slum just to move out. Not when the law didnt allow me to protect myself. So instead I moved home and saved and bought a house at 24. No ARM, straight up fixed because Im not an idi*t. Imagine that. A 24 year old with a brain. Thats a rare occurance today.

The fact is that people need to cut back anywhere they can, but they dont want to because its an inconvenience and we cant have that.
    Last edited by DK1102; 02-11-09 at 01:07 PM. Reason: idi*t is offensive?
    02-11-09 01:05 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD