my wife just joined the crackberry (she calls it her dingleberry, don't ask) family with a pink verizon curve. when they switched the numbers over from her razor, the first and last names were all reversed in the curve. she didn't realize this until we left the store so she went back the next day to a different store where they claimed nothing could be done.

I made the same switch with verizon in may and had no problems. i'm assuming the rep at the second store was uneducated about the process or just plain lazy. has anyone else heard of this type of problem and what have you done to remedy it? does she just need to speak to a manager at the store next time? could it really be that the names can't be imported properly? She did have an older generation razor than i did but that still seems so unacceptable.

What do you wise folks suggest?
    10-29-08 11:07 PM
    Can you not go to options in the address book and swap from last name to first name?
    10-30-08 12:06 AM
    while that is a decent temporary fix, it still doesn't solve the issue that verizon imported all of her contacts' last names as first names and vice versa.
    10-30-08 09:02 AM
    Is it last comma first? If s it is just a setting on the phone and again you can change how they appear. That is what happened to me and they didn't just import last names as first names and so on...hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 09:10 AM
    no, they imported last name as first name and first name as last name so while the options setting described by rescue help temporarily, it isn't the final solution i'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice so far though.
    10-30-08 09:30 AM
    Your only options are to edit each contact yourself either on the BB or after Syncing to Outlook and then syncing back or to go back and speak with the manager of the store she had the transfer done. Have them do it again PROPERLY. Make sure she takes her old phone with her.
    10-30-08 12:05 PM
    Yeah there is an setting on the machine we use to transfer the contacts, have them redo it.

10-30-08 07:37 PM
    Don't worry, you're not alone. Back in may the VZ store transferred 150 of my contacts from my Razr to a curve. Anyone with two numbers in their entry had the second number labeled as Fax, nice eh? So I still have people in my address book who call me and I see "so and so" Fax calling.

10-31-08 05:31 AM
    my wife just joined the crackberry (she calls it her dingleberry, don't ask) family with a pink verizon curve. when they switched the numbers over from her razor, the first and last names were all reversed in the curve. she didn't realize this until we left the store so she went back the next day to a different store where they claimed nothing could be done.

I made the same switch with verizon in may and had no problems. i'm assuming the rep at the second store was uneducated about the process or just plain lazy. has anyone else heard of this type of problem and what have you done to remedy it? does she just need to speak to a manager at the store next time? could it really be that the names can't be imported properly? She did have an older generation razor than i did but that still seems so unacceptable.

What do you wise folks suggest?
    well im not saying its acceptable that it transferred that way... but when you consider the phone your switching from... its like night and day how they work.. those phones weren't completely designed like the "smartphones" are to be honest even if you have to go through and change the names around it still saved you a ton of entry time for contacts....

I can remember before all this cross phone sync things even existed we were punching the numbers into the new phone by hand on a regular number pad

so yes its annoying but in the end its just one of those things about changing phones...

Keep in mind though now that she jumped to a smart phone if she stays with a smartphone and keep's backups on the computer she will basically never have this issue again... once you have pretty much any kind of contact file on a computer you can turn it into anything you want in various ways...

Believe me when I say its almost guaranteed that it was a problem with the software they used to transfer it and not a problem with the phone itself ... I can't tell you the number of times I used software like bitpim and all that back in the day and how many times that crap screwed up when going from phone to phone..

I just don't want you guys to be down about the purchase and instead enjoy it =)
    10-31-08 07:54 AM
    while that is a decent temporary fix, it still doesn't solve the issue that verizon imported all of her contacts' last names as first names and vice versa.
    We dont control how the numbers, photos, or videos transfer over. We use a device that does it all, we simply hook up both phones and the rest is through the machine. Im willing to bet theres a setting somewhere in the BB that can change that setting. Ive had phones that allowed me to setup how the contacts showed [i.e. last name, first name/first name, last name/group/relation]

Good luck
    10-31-08 10:27 AM
    I use Excel to create and sync my contacts. You can export the contacts from the BB, change the First Name and Last Name column headers, and then import them back in. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

Managing Contacts in the Address BookUsing Excel Help for BlackBerry Pearl, Curve, or Bold
    11-01-08 09:50 AM
    well im not saying its acceptable that it transferred that way... but when you consider the phone your switching from... its like night and day how they work.. those phones weren't completely designed like the "smartphones" are to be honest even if you have to go through and change the names around it still saved you a ton of entry time for contacts....

I can remember before all this cross phone sync things even existed we were punching the numbers into the new phone by hand on a regular number pad

so yes its annoying but in the end its just one of those things about changing phones...

Keep in mind though now that she jumped to a smart phone if she stays with a smartphone and keep's backups on the computer she will basically never have this issue again... once you have pretty much any kind of contact file on a computer you can turn it into anything you want in various ways...

Believe me when I say its almost guaranteed that it was a problem with the software they used to transfer it and not a problem with the phone itself ... I can't tell you the number of times I used software like bitpim and all that back in the day and how many times that crap screwed up when going from phone to phone..

I just don't want you guys to be down about the purchase and instead enjoy it =)
    No excuse. The transfer machine they use has the ability to map fields accordingly. The ****** behind the counter that transfered the data and charged for it made a mistake and should fix it at no charge.
    11-01-08 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD