05-08-09 05:37 AM
40 12
tools
    I read on one of the threads that come May 1st Verizon is going to make a change on their rates for texting. Is this true? If there is a rate change in texting plans if you have Verizon as your carrier can you opt out of your plan without paying an EFT? Can anyone verify this.
    04-25-09 08:06 PM
    I haven't heard anything about this. let me get back to you after I find out.
    04-25-09 08:08 PM
    Technically yes, it is in the terms of service, you have 60 days to respond in writing. You can read the customer agree at VZW.com and at the bottom of the page you can read the customer agreement
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-25-09 at 08:26 PM.
    04-25-09 08:18 PM
    HHmm, I haven't heard anything about this either.
    04-25-09 08:19 PM
    havent heard of this, nor have i heard of any carrier doing this. Also, I believe the supervisor could fight with you on the disconnect without ETF... Texting is an optional feature, they do not force anyone to use it. they can basically say "you have 3 choices.... deal with it and pay whatever cost, get a texting plan, or dont use it."
    04-25-09 08:23 PM
    This is right from the customer agreement

sorry for the caps but this is how it is on the site.

Our Rights to Make Changes
    Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.

These written notices are on bill, if you do not read your do not come back and say you did not get written notice.
    04-25-09 08:24 PM
    This is right from the customer agreement

sorry for the caps but this is how it is on the site.

Our Rights to Make Changes
    Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.

These written notices are on bill, if you do not read your do not come back and say you did not get written notice.
    I believe that if the texting fees went up, the ETF waiver would not apply - you didn't sign a contract for texting. You signed it for your plan. If you're paying per text, that is an added service not covered under your contract.

Pricing changes would only apply if you signed up for two years on a 450 minute plan that was $39.99 and it then went up to $49.99 or whatever. The extras are not included - especially in this case, as the package prices don't fluctuate like the per-text fees do.

Sorry, but this is not going to be a valid reason to get out of your contract so you can get that Bold you're dying for.
    04-25-09 10:12 PM
    I kind of agree with Twins there..

I haven't heard of any texting price changes either, but then again, they like to switch things on us at the last second here and there.
    04-26-09 01:08 AM
    I kind of agree with Twins there..
    Kind of?

Seriously - looked at the VZW Legal Notices page & saw no mention of any increase in text messaging fees. Looked at the bill I just got on Friday & no mention there either.

The last increase was last year - the notice came out 60 days before the actual increase. It did not affect package rates and was not an ETF waiver item.

I truly feel you're grasping at straws on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 04:16 AM
    I believe that if the texting fees went up, the ETF waiver would not apply - you didn't sign a contract for texting. You signed it for your plan. If you're paying per text, that is an added service not covered under your contract.

Pricing changes would only apply if you signed up for two years on a 450 minute plan that was $39.99 and it then went up to $49.99 or whatever. The extras are not included - especially in this case, as the package prices don't fluctuate like the per-text fees do.

Sorry, but this is not going to be a valid reason to get out of your contract so you can get that Bold you're dying for.
    I believe you are absolutely wrong, but you can try to scare people if it makes you feel better.

There's a legal term that covers this kind of action by a party in a contract; I'll let you look that one up yourself.

Regards.
    04-26-09 06:27 AM
    Kind of?

Seriously - looked at the VZW Legal Notices page & saw no mention of any increase in text messaging fees. Looked at the bill I just got on Friday & no mention there either.

The last increase was last year - the notice came out 60 days before the actual increase. It did not affect package rates and was not an ETF waiver item.

I truly feel you're grasping at straws on this.

Heh, there's no kind of to it. Twins is right. Texting is an optional feature. Like someone said before, you can just accept the changes, get a package, or Verizon Wireless can block text messaging, preventing any charges.

Also, ( if this was mentioned, my bad ), it's not really text messaging that is changing. It's the way mms are billed. Right now if you send an mms message to multiple contacts, with or without a text bundle, it only counts as one mms. Coming May 3rd or whatever, it's going to be just like text messages to multiple users, each phone number you send the mms to will count as one mms. So if you send one mms to 8 phone numbers, you will be charged for 8 messages.
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 04-26-09 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Changed May 1st to the correct date May 3rd.
    04-26-09 07:16 AM
    I believe you are absolutely wrong, but you can try to scare people if it makes you feel better.

There's a legal term that covers this kind of action by a party in a contract; I'll let you look that one up yourself.

Regards.
    The contract does not state anything about the rate of SMS, therefore this change (that I doubt is happening - too many government officials are investigating this for price gouging as it is) would not be covered as a requirement to allow an ETF-free departure. The terms state "IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU..." and many reps/supervisors would argue that a change to SMS would be adverse for two reasons: 1) it is not defined by contract and 2) they offer alternatives to make it NOT adverse (ex. plans starting at $5 -- anyone still using pay-as-you-go SMS is paying too much being 20-cents a message * 25 messages would be $5, whereas the $5 plan is 500 and unlimited to IN-network). Anything under the value of $5 (their lowest plan) would not be considered ADVERSE in the eyes of a court and that is why they do not HAVE to allow a person to leave.

I'm not defending the wireless carriers -- I think they should go back to the days of free and unlimited INCOMING SMS/MMS with outgoing being 5-cents like it used to be.
    04-26-09 08:24 AM
    This was on my last page of my March bill, it was not on my April bill:

04-26-09 08:39 AM
    This was on my last page of my March bill
    There you go - pulled March out of my files and I see it too. At least this places the change notification before the March 27 start time in the other thread.

04-26-09 01:48 PM
    I have gotten the advisory on my VZW bill about the text per use rate going up. I dont believe the plans will go up. If they do the ones we are on will be grandfathered and as long as we stay on them we wont have to increase the price of our package. Such as I have the 500msg w/ m2m for $10. Id stay on that until I decided to chg then I would have to go on a new plan and would not be able to go back to the old one.
    04-26-09 01:53 PM
    The text "rate" is not going up. It used to be if you sent a MMS to ten people in one message it only counted as one message. Now it's going to change to mean it counts as ten messages.
    04-26-09 01:59 PM
    The text "rate" is not going up. It used to be if you sent a MMS to ten people in one message it only counted as one message. Now it's going to change to mean it counts as ten messages.
    And if you have a package, it probably wouldn't matter much at all.

04-26-09 05:17 PM
    Which makes sense... as a matter of fact, I always assumed that's how it was anyway. If you send a message to 10 people, you send it to 10 people... whether or not the "Send" button is only pressed once.
    04-26-09 05:38 PM
    I have seen in the past where when texting prices when up you could leave ETF free only if you don't have unlimited texting or any other kind of texting bundle. You have to show that it would materially be adverse to you.

04-26-09 08:14 PM
    Except that there's no reason why you can't sign up for a messaging package, therefore we're not going to dismiss the etf.
    04-26-09 08:39 PM
    I have seen in the past where when texting prices when up you could leave ETF free only if you don't have unlimited texting or any other kind of texting bundle. You have to show that it would materially be adverse to you.

Explain to us how you could prove to anyone that it's materially adverse, if Verizon offers options such as unlimited texting as well as blocking text messaging altogether. If you block text messaging, there is nothing materially adverse about it. If you deny the block, that's your choice.
    04-26-09 09:15 PM
    Explain to us how you could prove to anyone that it's materially adverse, if Verizon offers options such as unlimited texting as well as blocking text messaging altogether. If you block text messaging, there is nothing materially adverse about it. If you deny the block, that's your choice.
    You can never truly prove that something is materially adverse. It's just like when Sprint changed their administration fees from 45 cents to 75 cents. Many people were able to walk away from their contract. A personal friend called CS for Sprint and he was able to leave ETF free. How is 30 cents materially adverse? Even after two years, the difference in cost is $7.20. How is that material adverse? That clause is a small loop hole to leave contracts ETF free. Who knows why it's there. But my guess would be to protect the customers so companies can't just go around and up their prices.

In regards to text messaging, yes you can opt to have a package (which could even be unlimited). I, personally, do have an unlimited plan. Anyone that has a current texting plan when there is a change in texting fees is not affected and CANNOT use the "materially adverse" clause. There are some people out there, like my parents, that send only 10 messages a month each. So as of now, it is cheaper to pay per message than pay a monthly fee. This is where it can affect your bill and hence be a "material adverse" affect on you.

Does that help?
    05-03-09 06:44 PM
    Except that there's no reason why you can't sign up for a messaging package, therefore we're not going to dismiss the etf.
    It also depends on who you talk to. It is all to manager's discression.

They may offer them, but if it is cheaper to pay per text they can't force you to have a package. So by them changing the price of a text/pic message and you are paying per month, it does have a material adverse effect.

People do get out of their contracts due to message rates going up. But like I stated above, doesn't affect anyone who has a texting plan (or select plan with Verizon).
    05-03-09 06:47 PM
    That the provision in the contract refers to the actual calling plan and not addons. If you look at the way Verizon does things the only thing you're contracted to is a minutes plan. You can add or remove features, add or remove data, raise or lower your plan. They can raise the basic text messaging or data price all they want but you didn't sign a contract for text or data.

You might want to check with legal, but I think it might be misinformed reps who let people out of contracts for something like this.

05-03-09 06:56 PM
    I agree with you. I have heard of people getting out due to text rates going up but never myself since I have unlimited texting.

05-03-09 09:55 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD