6 21.43%
  • Educate myself before voting next time

3 10.71%
  • Go to church this week

2 7.14%
  • Be the only person who touches me today

3 10.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    So this makes my 4000th post. By the time you read this, I may be long gone from 4000, but you get the picture - or maybe you don't, since you're slow to the forum.

It is somewhat interesting, as I rarely hit 4000 posts on any forum account. Generally, I hit about 100, close the account & come back under another handle. Sometimes, I can't remember all the different forum handles I use across the ether - but I digress.

Some random thoughts, as I hit the momentous 4000.

Where is the HTC TP2? The WM6.1 version sold out much faster than anyone anticipated & hope was that there would be plenty of supply with the intro of WM6.5 - HTC tells me they shipped large numbers in time for the intro, but five several days later, still out of stock. Someone at VZW mentioned to me the TP2 & Imagio drastically hurt BlackBerry sales, hence the BOGO extension. Might this also be holding up the TP2 inventory?

I think the Imagio shows that Apple can be outdone. What will they be able to do when they finally start using Snapdragon or other recent processors & get past the 528MHz dinosaurs currently in use?

Speaking of 528MHz, those who know realize many platforms, namely WM, Android & the more potent Linux distros can be seriously hurt by subpar hardware. With well-designed hardware, any of these platforms make BlackBerry look like a Razr. BlackBerry is a platform that has run on more hardware than necessary for years, while many manufacturers put out a low-end hardware item, slapped WM on it & called it a day. When we start seeing processor speeds pass 600MHz & head toward 1GHz, how do you think it will affect the BlackBerry mystique?

VZW's push for more online account activity is bothersome & will eventually either alienate customers or cost jobs. I heard of a recent accounting study that said if VZW were to offer a $5 monthly credit to customers who accessed their account online AND did not call into customer service, they would save millions & be able to cut employee overhead - read fewer jobs. Sounds a bit scary to me.

VZW could shake up the cell industry by simply offering free M2M to any cell phone in the US. To complete the shakeup, why not add free calling to your home number - as listed on your account - to all customers. I mean, if your home isn't full of friends & family, it isn't home.

LTE promises so much. Cell, video, home broadband & more will be included. Are you sure you want to add in GPS tracking ability or does Big Brother not worry you? You might say that VZW protects customer information - but look at what happened to GM, Chrysler & AIG. As long as our Constitution is being ridden roughshod over & ignorant souls continue to trust & look the other way, you should be worried.

Speaking of LTE, do you know what the likely first phone will be with LTE? I do, but I can't tell you. Not yet, at least.

Look at the number of people with regular phones & you will see the number of people who shouldn't care about 3G, 4G, etc. So why is VZW touting 3G in ads for flip phones?

LTE will eventually obsolete WiFi.

WiMAX will never dominate the market, just like Cricket will never be the market leader. Both are extremely local solutions.

VZW forum people so uptight. You would be too, if everytime you bent over, some Sprint customer with bad credit was trying to shove a Sidekick up your... never mind.

Sign the end is near: I bought a phone six months ago with special discounted pricing after signing a two-year contract. Now I want a new phone. How do I get it with special discount pricing? News flash: you want a new phone every 90 days, every six months? Get a job that will allow you to EARN the money to BUY them. I like to think that $100,000/year should be able to finance your phone love. But with poor integrity, you'd probably have difficulty finding legitimate employment that pays $100k. And if you were smart enough to make $100k/year, you'd be smart enough to realize it is just a phone and that you should abide by your promises.

VZW VIP 25% accessory discounts mean you're only paying 50% more than you should be.

What happened to Moto?

For that matter, where did Kyocera disappear to? Only a shadow of the original anticipations.

What would happen if Microsoft decided to build their own phone, with its own exclusive OS, locked you into their servers, used a proprietary browser, limited use of other browsers & offered no outside access to email on your core account? Now, what if that phone sold in large numbers - possibly hurting sales of other devices? Would they not be strung up, dragged through court, charged with anti-trust & anti-competitive violations & shunned by the open-source crowd? How can you defend RIM for doing the same thing?

Privacy - don't protect it with every fiber of your being at your own risk. If you want to complain about CPNI, you shouldn't be a hypocrite by using Google, WiFi & cell-phone GPS programs.

Cell-carrier reps - they try hard & most of the time, they succeed - incredible given their average training & education levels. Don't come around here slamming them as a whole, regardless of the carrier, just because you had a bad experience with ONE. For all we know, you caused the problem or your request was unreasonable.

Cell carriers sniff at the BBB, because the BBB has reached a level of irrelevancy. Why? Because people don't care anymore.

Product quality & reputation killed many products over the years - Yugo, Packard-Bell computers, Chevy Vega, Chinese dog food, Edsel, OTC ED meds, etc. How many defective phones will the ignorant continue to buy hoping that quality suddenly improves?

Every carrier has pros & cons. Want to tell me what Sprint/AT&T/T-Mobile offers? When I come to the Sprint/AT&T/T-Mobile forums, you can tell me.

My prediction: BlackBerry will be only a bit player in the next year or two or will be taken over by much larger company. Your predictions may vary.

Steve Ballmer recently said WM7 should've been out already. Note to Steve - come on, get it done & get it done right. Microsoft has more geniuses in one remote office than RIM has employees. No excuses, Steve - get it done & get the platform on VZW phones pronto.

Note to Google - don't hose up your VZW agreement by insisting on your malicious data-mining ways. VZW will bite you.

Note to AT&T - hold onto that iPhone for as long as you can, because without it, you're nothing.

Note to Steve Jobs - dump the exclusivity agreements & put the added revenue into really improving & expanding the iPhone platform. You needed the agreements initially to guarantee a market for a fledgling & unproven platform. You don't need them now.

Note to all carriers - stop the bloatware. It hurts platforms & customer experience. Witness the backlash each time RIM or a carrier pushes an app without asking permission first. Even the evil Microsoft never did this. Give me the phone the way the manufacturer intended & allow me to be stupid enough to add my own bloatware.

Second note to all carriers - stop the subsidies & watch customer satisfaction rise. Sure, people will complain about having to shell out $500 for a flip phone, but then they might make purchase decisions more carefully & not keep hounding you for a discount on a new phone. Up NE2 to $100 for anyone with 24 months continuous service, regardless of contract length. Then, offer service discounts based on contract length instead of basing device discounts on contract length. $39.99/month no contract, $36.99 for 12 month contract, $31.99 for 24 month contract. Offer a 10% service rate discount on top of the contract discounts for anyone who prepays their term. For those who want out early, charge back the discounts plus 10% per month service fee.

Why ask VZW reps when new phones are coming? Even if they knew, they'd have to kill you if they told you the answer. Live longer & ask reasonable questions.

Something has happened to AT&T service in the Phoenix area recently. After several years of too slow, but steady improvements in coverage, it is suddenly easier to find a pristine Chevy Vega than it is to make an iPhone call here.

Tour trackballs. Why do people continue to say things like "all you have to do is run the sensitivity at 70" as if that is a correction? What if I want higher sensitivity? I don't care what the workaround is - I didn't buy a device expecting a workaround. It is poor design and indicative of a piece of junk. If you want a piece of junk, fine - love your Tour. I wouldn't pay $50 for one.

No matter how hard someone tries to bash VZW in this forum, the only thing they accomplish is reductions in their credibility. Bash VZW in other carrier forums. We bash other carriers here.

Speaking of credibility, why do people place so much faith in the carrier phone review ratings on their sites? The vast majority of reviews are from people who have had their device less than 72 hours - this is obvious from the writings. The novelty hasn't worn off yet, nor has the mystique. VZW would dramatically improve the usefulness of this feature by prohibiting reviews until your device is beyond the WFG, then offering all customers a $5 credit to log on, through their MyVerizon account, and review the device.

Going back to the aforementioned Tour issues, as well as the reviews, I sent back several dozen Tours - many green dots - and converted my guys to a different platform. The production version is no better than the preproduction units. Still, I know a number of people who bought one and come across more on a daily basis. When I ask them how they like theirs, I get an awful lot of "it's alright" or "I don't really like it" or "I am returning it" answers. Yes, I get a few "I really like it" answers, but they are not that common. Most tell me they think theirs is okay & some add in that it doesn't match the hype. These are regular people - many professionals. No CrackBerry lurkers, or none that admit to spending time online over phones. Most are on their second, third or eighth smartphone. Now, if these folks were to write a review, do you think the VZW site ratings would hold?

There is a definite reputation issue with carrier reps claiming to be carrier reps, then misbehaving. The minute you identify yourself, you need to then live up to that identity. You don't walk into a bar exclaiming "I am the preacher of Acme Christian Church & I am here to get drunk, chase skirts & kick arse!" You don't come here claiming you're a rep for a company that claims customer service is important, then act rudely to others. That preacher may keep his job, and you might keep yours - but both the preacher and the rude rep have damaged the reputation of many.

Verizon Wireless is number one for one reason - they bought other companies. The same way AT&T did for years. Sprint keeps trying this tactic & keeps failing. Helio & Virgin will never be the same.

That's all for now - I just spent half of my writing energy that I could've used to pad my posts to 5000 all in one post. But I added in a silly poll, just for fun & remember I often post just to get you to think. Let the discussion and/or flames begin - but remember to read my signature first.
    10-10-09 03:28 PM
    And your point is? Welcome to 4000
    10-10-09 03:32 PM
    I voted. Would vote again.
    10-10-09 03:48 PM
    Longest. Post. Ever. I purchased an imagio this week and it will go back. Mostly I'm too lazy to repackage it. I was pretty disappointed in it, but had unrealistic expectations(push).
    10-10-09 03:58 PM
    Longest. Post. Ever. I purchased an imagio this week and it will go back. Mostly I'm too lazy to repackage it. I was pretty disappointed in it, but had unrealistic expectations(push).
    Free Solution
    10-10-09 04:15 PM
    That does not give me push notifications for facebook(which I use for business marketing and have to have access to very regularly) nor does it give me data usage for IM.

Also, 6.5 would refuse to allow me to install 3rd party apps. When I asked around, no one knew what I was talking about and it wasn't worth the effort to fix it when I had an already working solution.
    10-10-09 04:18 PM
    That is crazy. That phone is amazing. You use facebook for business marketing? Do people take you serious when you tell them to hop on your facebook and request you as a friend?
    10-10-09 04:34 PM
    That is crazy. That phone is amazing. You use facebook for business marketing? Do people take you serious when you tell them to hop on your facebook and request you as a friend?
    55,000 dollars earned last year using only social media and word of mouth as advertising. If it is so nuts why does every every major company have a "facebook" group.

Have you used the imagio? It is still windows mobile and while blackberry has limitations, so does WM.
    10-10-09 04:42 PM
    Congrats on 4,000.
    10-10-09 05:10 PM
    No - he has a valid & workable avenue. Even Twitter & MySpace have been used for commercial purpose. Large companies, including ClearChannel Communications & Samsung have a presence in those arenas.

Try Microsoft My Phone - really great integration with all of the social sites, directly from your WM phone, as well as sync & backup options. Free, too. It will soon include push email options for all IMAP email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-09 05:50 PM
    Whats your pin dude? hahahaha
    10-10-09 06:45 PM
    Very interesting "random thoughts". Enjoyed reading the entire piece.
    Big Brother *does* concern me as does the GPS connection.
    How will LTE render WiFi obsolete?
    It is hard to find "quality" in any product now.
    RIM gone in a couple of years? Takeover? or belly up??
    This is one user that would welcome the end of cell phone products being tied to any particular carrier..or even sold by them.
    Back to privacy...Google and privacy are NOT compatible in the same sentence. Makes me very wary of this company.

Thanks for the post. Good stuff.
    10-10-09 09:14 PM
    Had to reply to bump. Well thought out and intelligent. Two qualities definitely missing from just about every other post on the internet
    10-10-09 11:52 PM
    55,000 dollars earned last year using only social media and word of mouth as advertising. If it is so nuts why does every every major company have a "facebook" group.

Have you used the imagio? It is still windows mobile and while blackberry has limitations, so does WM.
    Since when does a paramedic need social networking for advertising? $55k is nearly 2x the amount an EMT normally makes.
    10-11-09 12:21 AM
    That does not give me push notifications for facebook(which I use for business marketing and have to have access to very regularly) nor does it give me data usage for IM.

Also, 6.5 would refuse to allow me to install 3rd party apps. When I asked around, no one knew what I was talking about and it wasn't worth the effort to fix it when I had an already working solution.
    Why do you need data usage information for IM? And on Facebook you should be getting your e-mail notifications. That's how the BlackBerry Facebook app worked, but of course they don't have an app for WiMo that organizes it in a program. So technically it should still work give you the information you need to make an extra $55k a year selling what ever it is you are selling, while driving an ambulance.
    10-11-09 12:37 AM
    Gonna try and figure out what handle you'll reincarnate under here on CB :-).
    10-11-09 01:32 AM
    Random responses: There are many manufacturers offering proprietary hardware and software solutions and the DCMA backs these manufacturers/vendors. No one is forcing anyone to buy to buy a RIM phone, which is why it is tolerated.

I'm a consumer and know what's best to support my business. Large footprint with big screens and keyboards don't work. 96% of my time is spent on the phone and email, the rest is fluff. I carry around a laptop that can be tethered if necessary for other stuff.

MIFI is great. Quality in consumer electronic products has defintely decreased as of late with multiple phone manfacturers guilty as charged.

VZW coverage in the Pheonix area is outstanding.

Cellular chips should be build into laptops.

I buy what works best for me, not what is supposedly *hot*.

Good post.
    10-11-09 02:26 AM
    OMG I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that...
    LMAO!
    Couldnt resist...
    hey? Wheres B&B havent seen him skulking about past few days...

Good post twinz... thanks for the wakeup call as well as a brain swelling experiance and congrats on 4000
    Last edited by heather.law; 10-11-09 at 08:57 AM.
    10-11-09 08:52 AM
    OMG I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that...
    LMAO!
    Couldnt resist...
    hey? Wheres B&B havent seen him skulking about past few days...

Good post twinz... thanks for the wakeup call as well as a brain swelling experiance and congrats on 4000
    He is back to his skulking ways, this morning.

I hope the swelling doesn't cause any skull-popping.
    10-13-09 10:00 AM
    He is back to his skulking ways, this morning.

I hope the swelling doesn't cause any skull-popping.
    Indeed I am back... Long weekend for me! Plus I wasn't around a pc most of yesterday so I been working for once...
    10-13-09 10:10 AM
    Indeed I am back... Long weekend for me! Plus I wasn't around a pc most of yesterday so I been working for once...
    Are you ever PC?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD