I'm still working here. I think Imp's the only one that got canned...
    11-25-09 06:25 PM
    Yea I have no idea how you can work 40hrs a week and go to school another 16+hrs and be able to afford it, I have been using student loans but I was not able to get any money for this last fall I hope I can get into school this spring I only have 2 semesters left for my 4 year degree. Are you going to BSU ?
    I'm always broke, lol. I also happen to have 2 kids. Its hard but I'll do whatever it takes to get out of working dead end jobs the rest of my life. And yeah, I go to BSU.
    11-25-09 06:28 PM
    I'm always broke, lol. I also happen to have 2 kids. Its hard but I'll do whatever it takes to get out of working dead end jobs the rest of my life. And yeah, I go to BSU.
    Dang... maybe I am really that bad with my money LOL casue I have no kids and rent is only 200 a month and besides that I only pay for food and gas
    11-25-09 06:29 PM
    Dang I am sitting at 5 !!!! calls for the day with only 1 1/2hr left LOL why cant they let me leave early
    11-25-09 06:36 PM
    So.... Slow....
    11-25-09 06:37 PM
    So.... Slow....
    Yep Yep
    10 char
    11-25-09 06:39 PM
    Agreed... Come on early outs!
    11-25-09 07:30 PM
    The early outs are here, but I get off at 11 and they're only for people off before 8 Not fair ...
    11-25-09 07:38 PM
    I usually stop job hunting once I get hired somewhere. I also don't usually job hunt until I'm fired/quit where I'm working. But I can't wait to get the h*ll out of here.
    I don't blame you - sitting on the phones in a customer service capacity is something people do who want no control. They will be monitored, abused, robotized & brainwashed.

Last time I heard, VZW started their reps at under $10/hr. Is that still close? No real interest here, so nothing recent. But I stopped in at a QuikTrip for coffee this morning. Big sign said Now Hiring Assistant Managers! Starting salary $41,000 + incentives - there were numbers after the $41 - but I can't remember exactly what they were. I stop in at QT several times per week for a fast coffee. Almost everyone working in one is an Asst Mgr. The "clerks" are PT students & they start at I think $9/hr.

Looking at the QT site, I notice their incentives are based on store performance - many Assts make over $50k. They don't get yelled at, they don't have to go through complex problem-solving, anf QT is setup to where no one works over 50 hours per week. And guess what - they are ranked as one of the best places to work. T-Mobile sometimes sneaks onto the list, but VZW never makes the grade. Microsoft & Google are on the list - but no VZComm & no VZW.

In fact, the opposite of being a great place to work is true of BigRed.

From TechRepublic:

Verizon - Note to anyone who may be in the market for a new cell plan. The term free upgrade does not mean the same to Verizon as it may to you. Oh yeah, and I lied about Best Buy having the longest check-out lanes in the history of mankind. That honor definitely goes to Verizon. The Edugree article says that Verizon is guilty of freezing pensions by e-mail and that the poor top-down management has caused some of the lowest morale ever in a company.

And that Edugree article?

Top 5 Worst Companies to Work For

The Home Depot Home Depot has legions of angry consumer as well as employees. Home depot used to have qualified personnel to provide expert advice. They essentially canned them all to hire cheap labor. After firing all of their decent staff, they took or severely cut back any worthwhile employee benefits and incentives; merit badges worth $20 each, tuition reimbursement, dental, employee discounts, Christmas bonuses (now just a coupon) credit signup bonuses etc. Several sites host complaints by disgruntled employees, from the Consumerist to Retailworker.com.

AOL From training employees how to charge credit cards of those trying to cancel their accounts, to censoring or firing employees that stand up to their ethics, AOL has, is, and probably always will be one of the worst places to work.

Best Buy - From forcing employees to practice questionable ethics, to flat out manipulation by managers. Their management system is reportedly structured to the point that there is no accountability; the blame tends to go downward, ending up on the floor employees that work the hardest. Years and years of complaints have been logged at www.bestbuysux.org. Shopping at Best Buy is about as fun.

McDonalds - If this is your first job, fine but if its your second job, it just sucks to be you. McDonalds is host to incompetent supervisors where mediocrity is looked up to, but never quite achieved . The educational level of even the highest ranks of store management is about the end of high school and will likely teach you nothing. Hopefully this will force you to strive for a positive exit plan.

Verizon - They destroyed the lives of 33 pilots to save retirement expenses - just one example of their business practices. Freezing pensions by email - another. Additionally the poor top-down management has caused some of the lowest moral ever in a company.
    washingtonpost.com
    wanderlist.com

Nice - VZW rated with AOL, Home Depot & McDonalds. Not to mention the Christian hating Best Buy.

Glassdoor rates it similarly - in fact, most of the indices show Sprint & T-Mobile well above VZW (Cellco) & AT&T.

And finally, I've seen all sorts of claims of high pay by reps here - but seldom any hard numbers. Yet all we ever hear is how so many VZW employees are broke. Many hard working & honest people at VZW - too bad the company exploits the workforce & seems to be pretty good at hiring mostly those too dumb to see it.

See the latest in the attachment. Know that VZW's top wage bracket for a network engineer is $73k. And note that VZComm people get paid more - they are Union.

If you hate where you're at, improve yourself. If all I had was a high school education, I would certainly NOT work for VZW. The turnover rate at the Chandler center is high - why that is, only VZW knows - but the number of people with less than 5 years under their belt is scary.

If you like it at VZW, or AT&T or wherever - great. Stay there. But know they couldn't care less about you. You are a potential problem & liability.

Now let the flames begin.
    11-25-09 07:59 PM
    ^^ WTF do you do all day twins.... You are my hero.

I have already applied for three different jobs. It is going to be a long weekend lol.
    11-25-09 08:12 PM
    The early outs are here, but I get off at 11 and they're only for people off before 8 Not fair ...
    I got an early out yesterday, even though they said it was for people who got out before or at 330, and I don't get off until after 6.
    11-25-09 08:16 PM
    No flames, but clearly you were hurt and embarassed last night, and now have to prove yourself by making Verizon look bad... You're full of integrity...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-25-09 at 08:27 PM.
    11-25-09 08:21 PM
    Dang... maybe I am really that bad with my money LOL casue I have no kids and rent is only 200 a month and besides that I only pay for food and gas
    200 a month???? My mortgage is more than 4 times that!
    11-25-09 08:23 PM
    ^^ WTF do you do all day twins.... You are my hero.

I have already applied for three different jobs. It is going to be a long weekend lol.
    Semi-retired - I work between 8 & 30 hours per week, not counting the time I hang out burning up smartphones.

Know what it is like to have 32 terabytes of data storage at home? ou really don't want to know... bunches of old & mostly worthless information.

But seriously - you were better off working for an outside contractor, but not in as good a shape as you could have been. The Boise issue is another problem - I like Boise, but the job outlook there isn't that good. Then again, with an actual unemployment rate of 18-21%, it isn't good anywhere.

There are many employers who are far better to work for than VZW. I recently hired another office staffer to help with one-calls & permits & such. She came from VZW Chandler & had been there since that center opened. I know what she was making. It wasn't pretty. Local grocery store cashiers are better paid.

You can do better - so be selective & keep at it.
    11-25-09 08:23 PM
    I don't blame you - sitting on the phones in a customer service capacity is something people do who want no control. They will be monitored, abused, robotized & brainwashed....

Now let the flames begin.
    I don't know if you've ever had to endure the torture of working in a vzw call center, but the "monitored, abused & brainwashed" statement you made is extremely on-point. I also entirely believe that article you put up. Verizon sucks to work for and it doesn't surprise me in the least that it falls in rank with mickie d's. We're overworked, overmanaged, over-stressed and underpaid. Only the newest of the noobs and those in denial will tell you that this is a good place to work. Then again, I this place is outsourced and a lot of the management bs is handed down from wds themselves. I don't think anyone here will be flaming in disagreement with you, but possibly flaming vzw along side you.
    11-25-09 08:26 PM
    The whole world has gone mad.
    11-25-09 11:29 PM
    The whole world has gone mad.
    Umm, word? Did the devil make them do it?
    11-25-09 11:32 PM
    I don't know if you've ever had to endure the torture of working in a vzw call center, but the "monitored, abused & brainwashed" statement you made is extremely on-point. I also entirely believe that article you put up. Verizon sucks to work for and it doesn't surprise me in the least that it falls in rank with mickie d's. We're overworked, overmanaged, over-stressed and underpaid. Only the newest of the noobs and those in denial will tell you that this is a good place to work. Then again, I this place is outsourced and a lot of the management bs is handed down from wds themselves. I don't think anyone here will be flaming in disagreement with you, but possibly flaming vzw along side you.
    To be fair you don't /actually/ work for vzw. I do agree though that the outsourced centers are horrible though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-09 12:01 AM

Well dear - I am a LOT closer to being inside VZW than many here think.

I do not work for VZW, nor have I ever worked for VZW. I will never work for VZW. I am too old & with too much experience to ever be that stupid - but in my youth, I might have been that dumb.

I was Bell System management for many years, so I know the culture. Many of those same people are now at VZW, minus the union watchdogs. I am not a union supporter, but they do have their place & may be needed at places with roots fo the old Bell System.

Now old Bell System was I? Back when I started, operators didn't work shifts, they worked or turned tricks. Worked over 40 hours? Time & a half until 48 hrs, when it hit double-time. Overtime on a Sunday or holiday? Triple-time. I still carry my membership card for the Telephone Pioneers. I worked CWA & IBEW shops, in both RTW & Union states. Even if you didn't work outside, somehow Scotch-Loks ended up in your washing machine & mule-tape was a staple in your tool box.

It cracks me up when these twenty-somethings think they are "telco-vets" or "wireless-vets" - many of the real vets have forgotten more about telco since just yesterday than these punks know total. To this day, I can do a visual ID on a fifties or sixties era vintage telco switch - most of these guys haven't ever seen a telco switch. Northern Telecom? 5E? Western Electric? No. 355A Comm Dial Ofc? DMS-10? These VZW kids are clueless. Get them to tell you what a Scotch-Lok is without checking Google or Wiki-whatever.

Many people here might have recalled mention of my special lady friend - she is a corporate attorney. Her firm does a LOT of work for the mobile phone industry, including VZW. It is how I met her. It is interesting how often VZW tries to get away with things & how often VZW loses cases. Unfortunately, they pay extra to keep the cases quiet & undisclosed.

I see a lot more than I should about the workings of VZW - it isn't pretty at all. I'd shoot myself if my kids grew up with the lack of integrity VZW has.

For quite awhile there, I was content to support VZW, come Hades or high water. But not anymore. There were a string of things that has happened, from people close to me who are/were employees, to some recent practices of theirs, to devious & underhanded business practices to some things they tried to pull on a competitor of mine, who they didn't realize is a close friend of mine - they tried to pit us & make him look like a crook. VZW is the worst for paying invoices - sometimes delaying funds for 18 months or more. Contrast that with AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint all promptly paying Net 60.

VZW is a house of liars & fools - witness some of the dopes here who claim to work for the company. They are lacking a life, can't argue a point & basically make themselves laughing stocks all over the 'Net.

I don't have to make VZW look bad - VZW does that just fine on their own & what they miss out on, their "best employees" make up for.

So yes - I still carry the carriers in my carrying case - but I no longer push VZW. In fact, I wrote an opinion piece on the latest legal complaint - the one where VZW is chasing Sprint. VZW will probably lose that one, as they have in the past. Sprint never says they own the largest, most reliable network. VZW's claims are based on data that includes roaming areas & the quality of the signal in those roaming areas. That is exactly what Sprint is doing. And there is a little known secret that the VZW kiddies refuse to recognize.... Sprint does work in more places than does VZW. Sprint roams on 100% of the VZW network, plus 100% of the USCell network, plus the MetroPCS network & the Cricket network & the Alltel netowrk. VZW doesn't get to roam on most of Sprint's network - a VZW decision because of the 1900MHz bogeyman & the fact that many VZW phones, if free-roaming onto many parts of Sprint's network would see their aGPS start working.

Can't have GPS work for those people, then expect VZW tech-dummies to try explaining it to irate customers.

But ROC, the genius in his own mind, & tsguy52, the closet PI perv who couldn't hack his way out of a wet hard-drive box, are both so hurt, so utterly destroyed that I would diss their beloved VZW & leave them hanging at well south of $15/hour, that all they can do is mutter & scream ad-hominems. It is kind of fun watching both of them stew & boil over at the fact they not only don't bother me, they are like toys. You know, the toy dummies - VZW has a hand in their back & we them see a Jerry Mahoney-like talking dummy, spouting everything VZW tells them to.

When this economy improves, if we still have a country to call our own - there are some of you I might want to chat further with... but rest assured, there are several who won't extend that courtesy to - including the one who claims to be a short 225lb man with a 30 inch waist - his head must be really fat. At least we know he is a liar. Ran his claimed body specs through a BMI & WHtR calculator - 38 inch waist is the estimate for 225lbs & ideal weight for 5'11" is about 180lbs - and that would give about a 34" waist - but typically, VZW lifers tend to also be VZW liars.

I do know I might have room somewhere for one soul from NW PA... but he wouldn't be able to stand the dry heat. I think that dry heat has affected many of the VZW Chandler contigent - one thing I've noticed whenever I've been in there is a complete lack of joy. It doesn't take too much imagination to think of them along the lines of Borg. Trekkies know what that is. Its kind of sad, as Tucson, SLC, & ABQ all have a similar feel to them - not inviting at all. If they are at work, they want to go home. If it is busy, they want the call queues to go away & maybe they can go home. If it is dead, they want to go home. At least there used to be some life at the old AT&T & many people actually enjoyed being there. Of course, the life was snuffed out by the sheer number of stinky, smelly smokers who work for these companies...
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 11-26-09 at 12:14 AM.
    11-26-09 12:11 AM
    I had this response typed out but its not worth it. You can think what you want. Its funny you think I care enough about your opinion that I would lie about it on this forum. You really should stop flattering yourself.

11-26-09 12:31 AM
    I had this response typed out but its not worth it. You can think what you want. Its funny you think I care enough about your opinion that I would lie about it on this forum. You really should stop flattering yourself.
    You care about what I say - there are dozens of replies by you indicating a deep hurt over words I've posted - too bad most of the words I posted weren't referring to you - but you sure took them that way.

You shouldn't flatter yourself by thinking I a) care about what you think, b) care about what you write or c) think you know what you're doing.

I really find it entertaining that someone can be as far out there as you are & still think you have credibility anywhere. In truth, I've catered to your whiny nature long enough & am tired of it. Want to be called on the carpet whenever you're wrong - which is frequent? I am there, baby.
    11-26-09 12:43 AM
    Clearly you don't know me as well as you say you do if you think I care about a stranger on an internet forums. Looking forward to you calling me out when I'm wrong though. Thanks.

11-26-09 12:48 AM
    I'm gonna stop because I don't want this thread to get locked, like the omnia one did.

11-26-09 12:49 AM
    I'm gonna stop because I don't want this thread to get locked, like the omnia one did.
    You should stop. Stop thinking that every negative word I utter is directed toward you.

As I've said before - if the shoe fits... & I don't stoop to putting your shoes on - you do that all by yourself & you do it well.

Speaking of my words - notice how it is when I speak, many read & respond? I wonder why it is that happens about never for you or your cohorts in the recent attacks on me?

You guys swallow far too many sour grapes - and notice I didn't mention you by name - but you sure jumped in fast. I'd say maybe what I say does strike a chord with you, else you'd just go away. It was you who promised to go away for how long? For some reason, I recall "forever" was your statement. But you can't leave, because what I say is too important for you to miss.

And I don't care if this thread goes - it ran its course long ago & why should it matter to you? The corp reps aren't strong enough to hang with the Boise crowd in here. At least the Boise crowd has some sense.

You can say what you want - but it is obvioius that you read every word & are so sensitive to what I say.

11-26-09 02:15 AM
    Forget it...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-16-09 at 04:36 AM.
    11-26-09 03:57 AM
3,731 ... 100101102103104 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD