I recently bought the 8330 and went to a vzw store to find a charging dock for it. The vzw rep had told me since the tour was coming out that a lot of the accessories for the 8330 would be discontinued.

With that being said...if I have any future problems with my berry (I haven't had any real problems since I became a berry owner, first with tmo and now vzw) should I just pay out the pocket for the tour, I sent in the rebate before I knew about the tour coming out, or just wait it out and hope nothin "bad" happens to my 8330?

I kinda wish that I had waited but it seems like a new berry comes out after I get a new phone which sucks...
    07-13-09 02:38 PM
    You could always go in and haggle your way under the 30Worry Free Guarantee. The problem is that you sent in for the rebate. But you may be able to bypass that by saying you'll go to the other carrier that has the tour. They'll know that you could do that and probably offer to switch you to the tour. If not I would recomment offering to pay the money that you'll get from the rebate back to the store upon purchasing the tour. I wouldn't settle. And even though something is going out of date, accessories take a while to go out. If so in the retail store then find an authorized dealer. Accessories are a big part of their business, and you may even find what you want at a lower price. Accessories are almost always alot cheaper when not in a vzw retail store
    07-15-09 09:58 PM
    What Blue saidis right, the curve is still a current model. I wouldn't worry AT ALL about not being able to get something for the curve, there are far too many people who carry them.

If you had like a 8703e, that might be a different story. Now, if you do want to go with the Tour, I'd say only go with it because you would perfer that phone, not because the Curve won't get any support.
    07-15-09 10:37 PM
    A) I don't recall VZW ever carrying a RIM cradle for any of the current BlackBerrys.

B) Check eBay, the CrackBerry store or Amazon - they have cheap off-brands & OEM BlackBerry Power Stations. Spend the extra for the Power Station. The rest are mostly crap.

C) The carrier is seldom the best place to get accessories. They are overpriced & often not OEM.

D) The rebate is a non-issue, as VZW simply deducts the rebate amount if the UPC doesn't come back with the phone.

E) People who buy something, then change their mind, are one thing. Those who try to screw the carrier by telling them they will switch unless they get more than the carrier originally offered on terms of goodwill & customer satisfaction need to be shunned & put in their place for failure to grow up. It raises everyone's prices.

I know E was not what the OP had in mind - it was the first response that needs flogging & exposure as being the words of a misled & ignorant spirit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 12:03 AM
    I'd live to get a charging dock/cradle for my Tour, just hoping something comes out soon. And to the OP, I don't know about the VZW stores, the the Best Buy I work at has RIM charge pods for the 8300 series.

EDIT: Found the listing on the web site. May want to see if your local BBY has one if you still want it for your curve.
    Last edited by fizzlefist; 07-16-09 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Linkage
    07-16-09 12:38 AM
    You could always go in and haggle your way under the 30Worry Free Guarantee. The problem is that you sent in for the rebate. But you may be able to bypass that by saying you'll go to the other carrier that has the tour. They'll know that you could do that and probably offer to switch you to the tour. If not I would recomment offering to pay the money that you'll get from the rebate back to the store upon purchasing the tour. I wouldn't settle.
    May I ask why you would haggle your way under the WFG? It's clearly stated if you aren't happy then you have 30 days... no need to haggle! And as far as bypassing the rebate issue... are you saying VZW should just give you $50 for returning equipment and getting a full refund? No way!! No one in their right mind would believe that. VZW deducts the rebate from the price of the return.

Clearly says that on the receipt.

"Refunds for items returned without a UPC on the box will be reduced by the amount of any mail-in rebate that was available for the item at the time of purchase"

If you want the Tour simply return the Curve and state that you want a phone with more features. No need to bs. The Curve isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Will atleast be out for another 6-7 months if my calculations are right as far as the bb line up life cycle goes with VZW. And to my knowledge there are no clearance items for the Curve. When you get clearance items then that means they are starting to push the phones out the door for the last time.
    07-16-09 08:08 AM
    You could always go in and haggle your way under the 30Worry Free Guarantee. The problem is that you sent in for the rebate. But you may be able to bypass that by saying you'll go to the other carrier that has the tour. They'll know that you could do that and probably offer to switch you to the tour. If not I would recomment offering to pay the money that you'll get from the rebate back to the store upon purchasing the tour. I wouldn't settle. And even though something is going out of date, accessories take a while to go out. If so in the retail store then find an authorized dealer. Accessories are a big part of their business, and you may even find what you want at a lower price. Accessories are almost always alot cheaper when not in a vzw retail store
    Pretty much most stores will let you exchange if you've already sent in the rebate if you just pay for the rebate. So, if you sent in the $50 rebate, they'll charge you $50 for it since you'll be getting that money back in a debit card (basically a wash).

Accessories going on clearance is not a bad thing. I just "vultured" a couple curve silicone covers for me and some friends and only paid $3 for them (the flame and skull silicones in my area are on clearance).

But consider how long the Curve has been out and the multitude of places that you can get good accessories for the phone and you should have no problem. Really, when it comes down to it, the only accessories you really need to worry about the stores being able to get are batteries and chargers. Yes, these can be purchased directly through RIM or another source, but buying direct from VZW means an easy way to get warranty stuff done on those items. Plus, you would not believe how quickly your $10 charger from WalMart will crap out on you. A $30 charger is well worth it when it comes with a trackable warranty (in my opinion anyways).

A) I don't recall VZW ever carrying a RIM cradle for any of the current BlackBerrys.
    They sometimes carry the Storm cradle in stores. But other than that, I have never seen one in store (or in the equipment guide, for that matter).

VZW accessories might not be OEM, but they are usually approved for use by the manufactuer. That's why we get a lot of Motorola's in with 3rd party chargers that say "Unauthorized Charger" but usually doesn't have the issue with the ones we sell in store (and if it does, we can warranty it).
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-16-09 at 10:42 AM.
    07-16-09 10:37 AM

B) Check eBay, the CrackBerry store or Amazon - they have cheap off-brands & OEM BlackBerry Power Stations. Spend the extra for the Power Station. The rest are mostly crap.

C) The carrier is seldom the best place to get accessories. They are overpriced & often not OEM.

D) The rebate is a non-issue, as VZW simply deducts the rebate amount if the UPC doesn't come back with the phone.

First off it was within the 30 WFG period the customer could bring the phone back for any reason at all. Buyers remorse whatever,new phone coming out two days after buying one they didn't like, doesn't matter. No reason needed at all. The life of a given phone is usually 1 year to one and a half. The 8830 has way outlived that and will be off the shelves before that customer can blink twice.
    E) People who buy something, then change their mind, are one thing. Those who try to screw the carrier by telling them they will switch unless they get more than the carrier originally offered on terms of goodwill & customer satisfaction need to be shunned & put in their place for failure to grow up. It raises everyone's prices.

I know E was not what the OP had in mind - it was the first response that needs flogging & exposure as being the words of a misled & ignorant spirit.

07-16-09 11:12 PM
    Dude, you need to learn how to use a forum. Its the least you could do since it is crystal clear you don't know phones.

07-16-09 11:25 PM
    They sometimes carry the Storm cradle in stores. But other than that, I have never seen one in store (or in the equipment guide, for that matter).
    Yea the corporate stores in my neck of the woods carry the pod for the Storm.

07-17-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD