According to the document titled "GPS and BlackBerry Maps v.4.7.0" (sorry no link, I downloaded it and can't remember where I got it), there are 3 ways for a program to get location info. Cell towers, assisted GPS, and GPS. Only the first two options require use of the carriers network, so if I was to write a program that used the third option, would VZW still be able to block it?

I have a feeling that since the document referenced above is v.4.7.0 that this will only work on the storm, and not on my curve.

I really hate having my GPS blocked.
    02-11-09 04:38 PM
    Try and see if it works. Doubt it will. What I hate more than having GPS blocked, is people that complain it adnausium.
    02-11-09 06:00 PM
    Your Curve will be bricked if you were successful in loading 4.7 - don't try it.

The Curve has a single-mode GPS device, while the Storm has dual-mode. The Curve must run only on assisted, while the Storm can run assisted or unassisted.

Access to GPS databases through assisted GPS is astronomical for bandwidth and cost. Even on the Storm (and all other dual-mode GPS phones), assisted is locked down, regardless of carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 06:02 PM
    Clairfication on my last post- yes do not tryr to install 4.7 - X is correct. I meant to try writing your own program
    02-11-09 06:09 PM
    Clairfication on my last post- yes do not tryr to install 4.7 - X is correct. I meant to try writing your own program
    And I completely missed the part about writing your own program.

Although software cannot override hardware limitations.

02-11-09 06:39 PM
    Let him invest the time - If it works we all benefit
    02-11-09 07:15 PM
    Let me say this, its been ages since I wrote a program for anything, so it would take a lot of effort to write a program. But sounds like it's pointless for me anyway since I have a curve.

02-11-09 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD